Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

I lost my link to the UK a long time ago on this issue. There is no valid reason for not allowing you to take your food home. If they want to talk 'health and safety', then they shouldn't allow you to buy groceries and take them home.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I lost my link to the UK a long time ago on this issue. There is no valid reason for not allowing you to take your food home. If they want to talk 'health and safety', then they shouldn't allow you to buy groceries and take them home.
Things like cooked rice are dodgy though.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Things like cooked rice are dodgy though.
Well how does that work with a Chinese takeaway then?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus

I rarely had leftovers in England that I can remember. It depends on what the food is whether I take it home or not. I've been at a table where after everyone else declined a box, 1 person crushed the leftovers from all the plates into one box for themselves
Ewwwww that's just disgusting. It's like people who eat stuff their kid has had in its mouth bleurgh.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Food poisoning in Chinese Takeaways is a very big issue, according to this objective, scientific report I just saw in a peer-reviewed journal.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

I just add a little water when I re-heat the rice, cover it and reduce the temp. on the microwave oven to let it re-steam. Doesn't always work, but does most of the time.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Food poisoning in Chinese Takeaways is a very big issue, according to this objective, scientific report I just saw in a peer-reviewed journal.
That's a shame....

Thankfully I've never had an issue with a takeaway....here or in the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I just add a little water when I re-heat the rice, cover it and reduce the temp. on the microwave oven to let it re-steam. Doesn't always work, but does most of the time.
Yes, I've done that as well... But what I meant was the rice you're taking home with your Chinese meal from the takeaway.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame....

Thankfully I've never had an issue with a takeaway....here or in the UK.
According to the article,

Of the 491 restaurants with 'China' in the title, one in ten were deemed to have 'very poor' hygeine and more than half were said to need to make 'more effort' in order to meet hygeine standards.

So to be safe, all you need to do is avoid restaurants with the word "China" in the name.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Yes, I've done that as well... But what I meant was the rice you're taking home with your Chinese meal from the takeaway.
Do you mean if it's already on your plate - or when it's served from a 'help-yourself' common bowl? If it's already on my plate, I have no qualms - if it's the left-over rice in the common bowl, well, I'd have a few reservations. For instance, if someone used their own spoon/fork to take a portion of the rice.......don't think I'd touch it.

(Makes me remember how grossed out I'd get when my mother would open a refrigerator container of potato salad or cole slaw, eat a few bites out of it, then put it back in the fridge! )
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

According to the article,

Of the 491 restaurants with 'China' in the title, one in ten were deemed to have 'very poor' hygeine and more than half were said to need to make 'more effort' in order to meet hygeine standards.

So to be safe, all you need to do is avoid restaurants with the word "China" in the name.
Whew, that's a relief! Our favorite takeaway in the UK is called "Wongs"
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Do you mean if it's already on your plate - or when it's served from a 'help-yourself' common bowl? If it's already on my plate, I have no qualms - if it's the left-over rice in the common bowl, well, I'd have a few reservations. For instance, if someone used their own spoon/fork to take a portion of the rice.......don't think I'd touch it.

(Makes me remember how grossed out I'd get when my mother would open a refrigerator container of potato salad or cole slaw, eat a few bites out of it, then put it back in the fridge! )
Well no... You know when you get takeaway food from a place and you take it home to eat it...
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Well no... You know when you get takeaway food from a place and you take it home to eat it...
Like Fish and Chips
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.interesting-health-facts....ting-rice.html

Raw rice may contain spores of bacteria called Bacillus cereus. These spores form to protect the bacteria from heat and other outside influences, and they aren’t easily destroyed - even by cooking. Even though Bacillus cereus spores aren’t readily eliminated by cooking, eating rice is unlikely to cause food poisoning if the rice is kept hot before serving - and not allowed to sit around on a counter at room temperature. If this happens, the spores can germinate into active bacteria. For this reason, rice should always be served immediately after it’s prepared.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's the reheating that's the issue, not the initial cooking of the rice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.