Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:12 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by ned1983
Maybe growing up in the UK has seriously changed my outlook on life. I find it embarrassing that you would want to take food home, or walk out of a restaurant with it, more to the point.

You get dressed up, nice meal, few glasses of vino then get given a polystyrene box to put your "leftovers" in?

I still dont get it
If it's good food, heck yes. Perhaps that's another big difference. Eating out here is routine. In the UK, it's more of an occasion.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:16 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I'm sure you'll get over it.
I've traded insults, and words with lots of people over the years, but that remark - and maybe the indifferent, nonchalant delivery - was like a kick in the unmentionables. So kudos to you, for that.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:17 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I've traded insults, and words with lots of people over the years, but that remark - and maybe the indifferent, nonchalant delivery - was like a kick in the unmentionables. So kudos to you, for that.
You're welcome, it's a talent I have.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:19 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Not only is it normal everywhere I have eaten in the US, in many places the waiter visiting your table at the end of the meal will actually ask if you need a box or not.

I am baffled as to why it would be culturally unacceptable in the UK, especially given both the economic world situation, and the rise of "green" living. If I have paid $35 for a steak, and not finished it, it's coming home with me, like it or not!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

From a weight loss view point, a good suggestion (at least I think so) is to order a sensible meal but ask for a box immediately and put half the meal in it for the next day.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Snap

They're usually trying to get you out as fast as possible, they'd probably love to box it up before even bringing the plate to you.

I'm not sure where you eat out but we never have the problem of being hustled all the time. Maybe one look at M scares them too much.

In fact back in the UK this year, while we were in Cambridge a restraunt we had a meal in (and it was a weekday night so not over busy) were practically shoving us out the door so they could seat another group. Felt very uncomfortable about it and made sure Mr Oliver knew as well

Originally Posted by cindyabs
From a weight loss view point, a good suggestion (at least I think so) is to order a sensible meal but ask for a box immediately and put half the meal in it for the next day.

Excellent idea, and no thinking about what to make for dinner the next day either
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:12 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I always ask my customers if they would like to take their food home if they haven't finished it. Why waste good food? Sometimes people leave part of their entree so they can leave room for dessert as well. The food where I work is really delicious! I wouldn't let it go to waste!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
It's normal in all the US places I've lived, which is about seven different states. Some servers, upon seeing that you have finished eating but still have food on your plate, will offer to bring you a box for the remainder without your even having to ask. I know many people who approach eating out as getting two meals out of the one purchase, which makes it a more affordable thing to do.

I haven't heard anyone call it a doggy bag for years, though. Mostly it's "would you like a box for that?" or "may I box that up for you?", something along those lines.
Same here, the meals out are way too big for me I always end up bring stuff home, my teen lives for it, he'll scarf down half a meal no problem. I only ever seem to eat one slice of Pitza. What a waste to throw a whole one away cause I'd be too snobby to take it home.
The only time I don't take food home is if it's really hot in the summer and I'm not heading straight home, I'd hate to kill the kid with kindness.
I never seemed to have leftovers in UK, either I like the food better or the portions are smaller.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:14 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a strategy one of my good friends used to drop 50 lbs! It became a habit to her so it was easy to stick with it.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I have absolutely no reservations asking for a doggy bag. Except when on a date. It pains me so much, but if I don't know the girl well enough I feel forced to waste it. I don't want to come across as being cheap. Any advice lol? Do the female variety really mind?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BILDER
I have absolutely no reservations asking for a doggy bag. Except when on a date. It pains me so much, but if I don't know the girl well enough I feel forced to waste it. I don't want to come across as being cheap. Any advice lol? Do the female variety really mind?
Welllllllll - if you're on a promise, depending on the type left-overs & how soon you'll get it refrigerated, it could be a little snack for after "the event"?

Seriously, I, personally, don't know of any female who would be offended or put off by your asking for the "doggy bag". If you thought well enough of her to ask her out, and she thought well enough of you to accept, there must be some kinship with regard to philosophy, don't you think? Then again, I guess it depends on which country you're in at the time.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
You could make a joke out of it, if it really bothers you leaving food, IF you don't know the girl well enough, to test the waters and ask-hey would you think I'm odd if I ask for a doggy bag? Either she'll say, go ahead and I'd like one for me, , OR she'll just look at you a bit oddly and say half heartedly, knock yourself out (while thinking boy what a tight wad)

Frankly, as someone else said here, in this economic climate-waste not, want not.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You could make a joke out of it, if it really bothers you leaving food, IF you don't know the girl well enough, to test the waters and ask-hey would you think I'm odd if I ask for a doggy bag? Either she'll say, go ahead and I'd like one for me, , OR she'll just look at you a bit oddly and say half heartedly, knock yourself out (while thinking boy what a tight wad)

Frankly, as someone else said here, in this economic climate-waste not, want not.

I always look at it the way I would when cooking at home, you don't throw left-overs away do you (well, I know I don't) so same thing. You've paid your grocery bill for food to cook and likewise you've paid a restaurant for your food as well.

Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:37 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand to waste food, so I have no problem asking for a box. As Sugarmooma said, most of us do not throw out perfectly good food at home. Frugality is "in."
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I always look at it the way I would when cooking at home, you don't throw left-overs away do you (well, I know I don't) so same thing. You've paid your grocery bill for food to cook and likewise you've paid a restaurant for your food as well.

But if it's leftovers at home it's usually food I haven't dished up onto a plate and eaten half of. It's usually food that was left in a saucepan or serving dish. So I'm not scraping stuff off of a plate that's already been eaten from.

I don't have a problem asking for a doggy bag (and round here they do say doggy bag or box) if it's something I know will get eaten. I would prefer a smaller portion that was cheaper though. And I wouldn't ask for a doggy bag if I was on a date Bilder, that would seem a bit cheap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.