Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Culturally switched sides

'Been here 15 years. I think I have come to identify more as a Merkan, than a Brit.
'Was listening to Five Live and they were having a debate about taking leftovers from a restaurant. They used the term "doggy-bag" instead of a box.

I'd say 3/4 of the callers and guests' sentiment was that taking leftovers is uncouth, and embarrassing. I just don't get it. You paid for the meal, and is it better to just throw the leftovers in the trash? And they lecture us on waste...

And I also thought they (especially the callers) sounded rather unworldly.
I guess being around Mexican, Thai, Mongolian, Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Korean restaurants broadens one's outlook. That may sound a bit snobbish, but hearing some Yorkshireman repeatedly call pizza "pitzer" and describing it as "dough with bits" made me face-palm a little.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Oct 12th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Oddly enough, the first place where I saw someone take leftovers home in a box was at a Pizza Hut in Yorkshire, 20+ years ago.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:12 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Houston it seems to be the norm to take your leftovers home. I do if I think someone will actually eat them, otherwise it's just a waste of a polystyrene box and a bag.

Recently hubby has had quite a few 'business' dinners but to make up for it he brings me home dessert .
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Its the norm here in the 'burbs of NYC. Also ask for a doggy bag for my leftovers.

Believe the people who called in to the show were trying to protray themselves as something they aren't. But then again, don't think you get many doggy bags at Mickey D's and Red Lobster.
PS it's called a doggy bag because it once was packed in a bag.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
'Been here 15 years. I think I have come to identify more as a Merkan, than a Brit.
'Was listening to Five Live and they were having a debate about taking leftovers from a restaurant. They used the term "doggy-bag" instead of a box.

I'd say 3/4 of the callers and guests' sentiment was that taking leftovers is uncouth, and embarrassing. I just don't get it. You paid for the meal, and is it better to just throw the leftovers in the trash? And they lecture us on waste...
I listened to the same segment, and had similar reaction to yours. Overall it came across that the Brits are just too snobby, and prefer to waste and too concerned with how it would be seen by others.

Mongolian......restaurants
Mongolia is the only country where I found eating actually to be a problem, where I had to go door to door asking to be fed, so I always find it odd to see Mongolian and restaurant in the same sentence.

And I also thought they (especially the callers) sounded rather unworldly.
I guess being around Mexican, Thai, Mongolian, Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Korean restaurants broadens one's outlook. That may sound a bit snobbish, but hearing some Yorkshireman repeatedly call pizza "pitzer" and describing it as "dough with bits" made me face-palm a little.
I am not quite with you here, isn't pizza just dough with bits, and what is the correct pronunciation? With the exceptions of Mongolian (thank god) and Korean (I had to travel 35 miles for Korean in UK) those nationalities cuisine is easy to get in the UK

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 12th 2011 at 8:29 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the thread title and the author.. thought it was going to be a tortured soul-searching, admitting he'd become a liberal.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:42 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. I've always been socially liberal, Robin.

Maybe it's like that in the bigger towns in the UK, Kim, but it wasn't like that in Dorset when I was there.

To me, it came across as they were still worried about "making a scene".
Which is why customer service is terrible in the UK.

And what chafed to me was his pronunciation of a global word. Pitzer. Pitzer! Please...
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Should point out that portion sizes in the UK tend to be a lot smaller, so the need for doggy bags is less, thus perhaps it is more of a stigma to ask for them. The wife and I eat out quite a bit (according to the hole in my pocket) but it's been months since I last asked for a doggy bag, and yet we always keep leftovers when cooking at home so it's not as if we're embarrassed to have leftovers.

I'm more worried about what happens to the food between leaving your table on a plate and arriving in a plastic box or bag. Some actually bring containers to your table but that can be considered a bit uncouth in itself.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:31 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

In NYC it's perfectly normal. I have noticed that outside NYC when I've asked for my food to be wrapped up a often box is brought to the table. Where I work and most other places I frequent it is taken to the back and packaged up. I think it depends on where you are from whether or not it's called boxed up or a doggy bag. I've been in the restaurant business a long time and I think it's is perfectly acceptable.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:44 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

It's normal in all the US places I've lived, which is about seven different states. Some servers, upon seeing that you have finished eating but still have food on your plate, will offer to bring you a box for the remainder without your even having to ask. I know many people who approach eating out as getting two meals out of the one purchase, which makes it a more affordable thing to do.

I haven't heard anyone call it a doggy bag for years, though. Mostly it's "would you like a box for that?" or "may I box that up for you?", something along those lines.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I saw the thread title and the author.. thought it was going to be a tortured soul-searching, admitting he'd become a liberal.
Snap
Originally Posted by avanutria
It's normal in all the US places I've lived, which is about seven different states. Some servers, upon seeing that you have finished eating but still have food on your plate, will offer to bring you a box for the remainder without your even having to ask. I know many people who approach eating out as getting two meals out of the one purchase, which makes it a more affordable thing to do.

I haven't heard anyone call it a doggy bag for years, though. Mostly it's "would you like a box for that?" or "may I box that up for you?", something along those lines.
They're usually trying to get you out as fast as possible, they'd probably love to box it up before even bringing the plate to you.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:56 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are here for a couple of weeks, so I just asked my mother why they don't take home the left over food from reataurants and her reply was

"a lot of places don't like you doing it because of health and safety reasons and the restaurants can't guarantee you heat it up properly when you get home and could possibly get food poisoning"

She used to be a chef so I guess she would have a decent idea.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
My parents are here for a couple of weeks, so I just asked my mother why they don't take home the left over food from reataurants and her reply was

"a lot of places don't like you doing it because of health and safety reasons and the restaurants can't guarantee you heat it up properly when you get home and could possibly get food poisoning"

She used to be a chef so I guess she would have a decent idea.
If the food has already been cooked and stored properly you won't get food poisoning by heating it up.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:06 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
If the food has already been cooked and stored properly you won't get food poisoning by heating it up.
They are worried you may not store it correctly. If stored at room temperature and under heated salmonella and listeria can become a real problem. Rice being the worst offender.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUn9...=1&safe=active

Originally Posted by Marocco
Oddly enough, the first place where I saw someone take leftovers home in a box was at a Pizza Hut in Yorkshire, 20+ years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.