Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural Differences - Hunting

My grandparents live just outside of Ledbury, Herefordshire.

The ban on foxhunting in the UK, imposed by the recently deposed limp wristed PC obsessed Labour Government, will be lifted by the new Coalition Government in due course.....they have a lot on their plate right now.

Boxing Day (26 December) each year sees the Ledbury Hunt go into action after they have knocked back their stirrup cup outside the mediaeval black and white timbered former coaching inn the Feathers Hotel in Ledbury High Street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuur-...eature=related
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:05 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ridski
I have nothing against hunting, and I would love to go hunting with someone who knows what they're doing one day.

I just don't understand why it's on my TV. In fact I really don't get why there are whole channels that show nothing but hunting and fishing.
Ah...Maybe it's because some people want to watch those shows, ya think? I bet you understand why there are 12, 24/7 cooking channels though huh?

There are a few special moments in every mans life, The first time he's with a girl, the birth of his first child, and the first time he kills an animal, and that hasn't changed since the stone age.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:08 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
My grandparents live just outside of Ledbury, Herefordshire.

The ban on foxhunting in the UK, imposed by the recently deposed limp wristed PC obsessed Labour Government, will be lifted by the new Coalition Government in due course.....
Ha...Thats not hunting. I don't know what the hell that is, animal torture maybe
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:25 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
People in the UK have also been conditioned to fear guns, indeed any weapons, which are used in hunting. As Freud brilliantly observed, "a fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity".

Freud also believed that a significant part of your psychological development was controlled by your anus. Weird guy. He often came to good conclusions with faulty theory. But, at the end of the day, not everything is about sex. Guns don't necessarily always have to represent phallus.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:49 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

There was a story the other day - in the Telegraph, I believe - about how things have changed for foxes in the UK. They were the emblem of animal lovers, and beneficiaries of the cynical class warfare townie/country ban on hunting.
Everything was going right for them.

And then things took a turn. They started eating babies and biting sleeping people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/out...of-Mr-Fox.html

People in the UK have also been conditioned to fear guns, indeed any weapons, which are used in hunting. As Freud brilliantly observed, "a fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity".

I point you to that incident the other week where the cadets were prohibited from marching with rifles during the Rememberance Day services because it "glamorises weapons".
My God, what happened to my former countrymen?
First, are you equating chasing a fox with a pack of dogs so they can tear it apart, so you can "blood" the youngest child present, with, shooting and quickly finishing the kill for table meat?

Second. Most of the men in my generation carried a rifle, sometimes into battle. Funny thing, not many wanted to own guns when they got back to civvy street, so you can stuff your cheap psychology digs. People in the UK have been conditioned to fear people with weapons, one assumes they have weapons because they are predisposed to use them. Clearly the unarmed person is much less likely to shoot us. We are especially leery of foreign libertarian survivalists hiding out in the mountains of Colorado.

Third, I'll grant you, there are too many nannies in charge in the UK.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:38 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Freud also believed that a significant part of your psychological development was controlled by your anus. Weird guy. He often came to good conclusions with faulty theory. But, at the end of the day, not everything is about sex. Guns don't necessarily always have to represent phallus.
Right. I just thought I'd get in before the guns-equals-small-penis brigade.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:45 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
First, are you equating chasing a fox with a pack of dogs so they can tear it apart, so you can "blood" the youngest child present, with, shooting and quickly finishing the kill for table meat?

Second. Most of the men in my generation carried a rifle, sometimes into battle. Funny thing, not many wanted to own guns when they got back to civvy street, so you can stuff your cheap psychology digs. People in the UK have been conditioned to fear people with weapons, one assumes they have weapons because they are predisposed to use them. Clearly the unarmed person is much less likely to shoot us. We are especially leery of foreign libertarian survivalists hiding out in the mountains of Colorado.

Third, I'll grant you, there are too many nannies in charge in the UK.
So, people have been conditioned to become pussies, is what you're saying?
And that the only people who should have weapons are the ruling elite, their bodyguards, and the agents of the security state. That's working out really well, isn't it?

I guess that's why people get shanked and slit and beaten up at the drop of the hat in the UK on a nightout, too.

Foreign libertarian survivalists in the mountains in my Colorado? Thank heavens for that.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:48 am
Banned

So, people have been conditioned to become pussies, is what you're saying?
And that the only people who should have weapons are the ruling elite, their bodyguards, and the agents of the security state. That's working out really well, isn't it?

I guess that's why people get shanked and slit and beaten up at the drop of the hat in the UK on a nightout, too.

Foreign libertarian survivalists in the mountains in my Colorado? Thank heavens for that.
Where in Denver do you live?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I just thought I'd get in before the guns-equals-small-penis brigade.
I know. I can certify that guns do not equal a small penis. I sacrificed myself for the research. I thought it was important.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:17 am
Banned

Men...Has your wife ever asked you to stop by the store and pick up something on your way home?..And don't ya always buy all kinds of extra stuff? And don't ya love bringing it home and showing the clan what you got? I do..Thats instincts. Thats bringing food back to the cave.

It doesn't replace actually hunting, but it's good
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:22 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
Men...Has your wife ever asked you to stop by the store and pick up something on your way home?..And don't ya always buy all kinds of extra stuff? And don't ya love bringing it home and showing the clan what you got? I do..Thats instincts. Thats bringing food back to the cave.

It doesn't replace actually hunting, but it's good
I never spend any more time (and therefore money) in the shop than absolutely necessary. I get in, get what I need and bugger off out of there, which is why my wife sends me, cause I'm a tight arse and don't spend if I don't need to

I fail to see what your analogy has to do with hunting, and to be honest, I still fail to see the necessity for hunting at all in this day and age, History Channel end times wank aside.

To be perfectly honest, the only post that made any sense at all was ABY's post regarding his connection with nature, which is as good a reason for doing it as I've seen in this entire thread! Everything else was a bunch of pseudo psycological wank if we were being honest with ourselves.

Not knocking it as a pastime for those that do enjoy it, but why read anything more into it? Kind of takes away the magic for those that do it to over-analyse it (which really applies to anything if you think about it).
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I never spend any more time (and therefore money) in the shop than absolutely necessary. I get in, get what I need and bugger off out of there, which is why my wife sends me, cause I'm a tight arse and don't spend if I don't need to

I fail to see what your analogy has to do with hunting, and to be honest, I still fail to see the necessity for hunting at all in this day and age, History Channel end times wank aside.
Do you have urges to pick and gather berries?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No. I'm quite well aware where the meat in my dinner comes from, and I'm more than happy to let others do the needful to get it to my fridge or freezer.

I've tried to make it clear all along that I'm not knocking hunting, or anyone who does it. I just don't see the point in trying to make more of it that it is, that's all.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No. I'm quite well aware where the meat in my dinner comes from, and I'm more than happy to let others do the needful to get it to my fridge or freezer.

I've tried to make it clear all along that I'm not knocking hunting, or anyone who does it. I just don't see the point in trying to make more of it that it is, that's all.
You were the guy that stayed back at the cave with the women preparing side dishes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.