Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Originally Posted by Deedee13 View Post
I was supprised tho u dont put ur age, marital status, or kids on ur cv!! They dont want to know sod all unless ur educated. And u dont send references to them.!! What is that about then?
Definitely illegal to ask about how old you are at a job interview, that one's been pounded into me by HR. Pretty sure it's illegal to ask about marital status and children as well.

Re: references -- typically if you are very interested in a job you may send references after the interview as a pro-active measure. More standard is to wait for the prospective employer to ask for your references before sending them. We always ask for references although I don't always call them.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:41 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
If a tree falls in the forest...........
Aye, there is that...but it's the getting caught down the road with a dead animal without a license that they do you hard for...hunting without a license, hunting on off season, hunting by the side of the road etc...they get quite aggressive about it in Maine in some parts.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Aye, there is that...but it's the getting caught down the road with a dead animal without a license that they do you hard for...hunting without a license, hunting on off season, hunting by the side of the road etc...they get quite aggressive about it in Maine in some parts.
music for me is one big barrier. Music is very important in my life. Being sort of a part of the 80's summer of love, rave generation me going nuts playing orbital at full volume, cranking up some hard drum n bass or reminiscing about the good old acid house days with raves of 10,000 in a field kind of gets met with something of a blank stare. 'but there are no words in your music, why dont you listen to music with words'... she just doesnt get it But she does try. I took her to Bagleys for New Year two years ago where they had Laurent Garnier playing for 6 hours a history of dance music, I think she started to understand a little more where I was coming from. Fortunately she is super open minded kind of person.
Language continues to be a source of mis understanding and amusement. At the beginning it was a constant stream of 'what, what are you talking about, what does that mean" it's getting better.
My wife being hispanic means I have had to accept latino time, a lot of myths, magic and superstition. Our new baby has to wear a red bracelet at all times to ward off bad spirits especially when certain aunts come over...
Generally we get on very well though, I shudder to think how a less well educated, less well travelled, less open woman would fare as my partner though!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:01 am

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Haggerwood
My current wife is American and we had some issues with the whole pub thing since she associates beer with Satan.

ohhhh how true my wife thinks this too .

Originally Posted by britex View Post
ohhhh how true my wife thinks this too .
But it's true! Why argue?

A beer a day keeps Satan at bay, that's what I say!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Oscar is an unknown quantity at this point

As for Job interviews, which seems to be the bulk of replies at the start. I had a mess at the start, 3 months interviews going nowhere, not even doing one hr photo or making sandwichs, I tired it all. I've a qualification in electroncis, I think many employers get freaked by the status, they think of payroll and that the eye of the government will be upon them and maybe some patriotism. I lost two jobs on that kind of thing, one even almost running me out the door, he freaked thinking I was illegal. However once you work in one US job, its seems to get easier. The job i got overthere, I dropped my salary massively, but once I got the foot in the door, my level of work did it from there. They offered me any extra $6 an hour when I left. Its not so much the cultural differences, you need to sell yourself harder, US employers are more skeptical of you if your foreign. If tell them you can do this job and you ask them to give you a chance or a shot at it, it seems to connect better.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
probably an offence picking up road kill?

In Maine, it is, you've got to report it and then it comes down to if the cop or game warden can't be bothered to deal with it, or want it themselves, they'll let you take it...
It's illegal in NJ to pick up road kill. Unusual to see a carcass for more than 24 hours...a company authorised by the state drive around and collect them.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It's illegal in NJ to pick up road kill. Unusual to see a carcass for more than 24 hours...a company authorised by the state drive around and collect them.
Would u really pick it up ? And then eat it? EEEGIT!!!

Cultural differences. I have been in this country a matter of months and hubby has already FORGOTTEN what day the bin men come OBVIOUSLY because its become MY JOB to put the bins out!! But seriously would a guy in england ever ever ever ever dare do that? Even if he did he would NEVER ADMIT to it. I swear by god i am going to kill him one day!! It must be love !! LOL . Playing bin man and nurse today he has hurt his knee ahhhh !! I am not a very sympathetic person so its going to be tough going!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it was fresh...

I mean, we're not talking about 'sail kitties' (i.e. cats that have been smushed down into flat Frisbee like shape) but something you just happened to hit.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Well, if it was fresh...

I mean, we're not talking about 'sail kitties' (i.e. cats that have been smushed down into flat Frisbee like shape) but something you just happened to hit.
OH just happened to hit! Meat in my eyes is what comes pre packed in the supermarket or the butchers!! Not something that travelled on the top of someones mini metro roof top with its tongue drooling over the back window and its inards spewing on the highway!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cultural differences. I have been in this country a matter of months and hubby has already FORGOTTEN what day the bin men come OBVIOUSLY because its become MY JOB to put the bins out!! But seriously would a guy in england ever ever ever ever dare do that? Even if he did he would NEVER ADMIT to it. I swear by god i am going to kill him one day!! It must be love !! LOL . Playing bin man and nurse today he has hurt his knee ahhhh !! I am not a very sympathetic person so its going to be tough going!
No wouldn't...but many would.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It is illegal here too for the simple fact that enough people would use their trucks as weapons to get some venison for dinner!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
It is illegal here too for the simple fact that enough people would use their trucks as weapons to get some venison for dinner!
must be tuff not having a supermarket in town. (umph)

i actually wonder how difficult it would be maintaining a diet without meat? of course vegetariens manage ok but for someone like me a meat lover!!!!!!!!! nothing beats a good steak between the teeth.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

i actually wonder how difficult it would be maintaining a diet without meat? of course vegetariens manage ok but for someone like me a meat lover!!!!!!!!! nothing beats a good steak between the teeth.
Do you mean from a nutritional standpoint, or a taste-bud standpoint?

Life-long vegetarians will gag on meat .... they simply are not used to it.

I would have trouble from the protein standpoint because I cannot stand most legumes.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Do you mean from a nutritional standpoint, or a taste-bud standpoint?

Life-long vegetarians will gag on meat .... they simply are not used to it.
My Daughter stopped eating meat when she was about ten years old, but on her Birthday she like's to have a Burger The funny thing was we use to piss our selfs laughing at the noise coming from her stomach afterwards, it was saying what the f**k we got going on in here then