Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Originally Posted by Deedee13
but did u get the job? Merriment is great if u get a pay check a couple of weeks later.

I am used to the european way, contract and unless i die my feet are under the table. I complained a couple of weeks that a girl was chewing gum on the phone,and she lost her job. I was gobsmacked. Learn to keep gob shut in future. These people have it tough.

I am going to take ur advice tho. Bullshit my way into a job! Acting lessons top of my list.

I went to a temp agency and she asked if i needed a info sheet on how to present myself at a interview. I told her NO!! What u see is what u get. Maybe reading this post i wasnt so clever.

I was supprised tho u dont put ur age, marital status, or kids on ur cv!! They dont want to know sod all unless ur educated. And u dont send references to them.!! What is that about then?

I am getting too old for this.
Asking about age, marital status, or kids might even be illegal. It certainly is to ask if you're going to have kids.

And yep, they just want to know if you can do the job. And no reference you give would say anything bad, so sometimes they don't bother.

And btw... I just popped it in the oven
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

just put the rest together. Do they want Bank statements? The only think i am not taking with me is the bed sheets. Although???

I told my hubby last night, that they want to know the last time i got laid (and he believed me ) Needless to say a good time was had by all

how is that for a cultural difference. No brit bloke would fall for that one!!!!! Just put number 2 on the calander for 2007!! another cultural difference:curse:

keep an eye on that oven, dont want it to burn lol.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

just put the rest together. Do they want Bank statements? The only think i am not taking with me is the bed sheets. Although???

I told my hubby last night, that they want to know the last time i got laid (and he believed me ) Needless to say a good time was had by all

how is that for a cultural difference. No brit bloke would fall for that one!!!!! Just put number 2 on the calander for 2007!! another cultural difference:curse:

keep an eye on that oven, dont want it to burn lol.
He should believe you - and they can even ask who'd rather be on top. And I'm actually not kidding. Take a look at this:

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/fa...interview.html

Kitchen timer, thing is too much TROUBLE to let it burn lolol
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
He should believe you - and they can even ask who'd rather be on top. And I'm actually not kidding. Take a look at this:

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/fa...interview.html

Kitchen timer, thing is too much TROUBLE to let it burn lolol
wot is a "cow girl" its not describing her on top is it? I would describe it as he is a lazy b stard and i have to do all the work.............damn should i tell them about the kinky stuff?????
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wot is a "cow girl" its not describing her on top is it? I would describe it as he is a lazy b stard and i have to do all the work.............damn should i tell them about the kinky stuff?????
lolol yes cow girl would be woman on top I would think. hehehe although I like your description better.

You probably won't have such an interview, it's only if they get especially curious about you. As far as kinky stuff, lol, just have your stories straight.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:37 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

but did u get the job? Merriment is great if u get a pay check a couple of weeks later.

I am used to the european way, contract and unless i die my feet are under the table. I complained a couple of weeks that a girl was chewing gum on the phone,and she lost her job. I was gobsmacked. Learn to keep gob shut in future. These people have it tough.

I am going to take ur advice tho. Bullshit my way into a job! Acting lessons top of my list.

I went to a temp agency and she asked if i needed a info sheet on how to present myself at a interview. I told her NO!! What u see is what u get. Maybe reading this post i wasnt so clever.

I was supprised tho u dont put ur age, marital status, or kids on ur cv!! They dont want to know sod all unless ur educated. And u dont send references to them.!! What is that about then?

I am getting too old for this.
Yep I got the job and the next one and the next one. My bs gets better each time I have one of these "interviews" or as I call them "auditions"
You don't have to but any factual background stuff on the apps. If you're an old upper class white guy looking for a job where they have affirmative action just walk into the interview and say "I am a 17 year old black woman from a broken home" and as long as you act the part well you're good. It's awesome. Ok don't take that bit of advise literally but just think of lots of interesting and difficult situations you've had at work in the past. Embellish them and then if something else comes up that you don't have a good story about than just pull something from an old English TV show (as long as it's not one of the ones they show on PBS all the time)
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lolol yes cow girl would be woman on top I would think. hehehe although I like your description better.

You probably won't have such an interview, it's only if they get especially curious about you. As far as kinky stuff, lol, just have your stories straight.
yeah trouble is the kinky stuff i would tell them if they ask, he would be a bit of a prude, typical american and cough and splutter!!!! hehehe.... pay backs a bitch
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah trouble is the kinky stuff i would tell them if they ask, he would be a bit of a prude, typical american and cough and splutter!!!! hehehe.... pay backs a bitch
Somehow I bet you would have the USCIS guy blushing coughing and spluttering too!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Somehow I bet you would have the USCIS guy blushing coughing and spluttering too!
is it a padded office, or just a booth!! Hate to be showing them naked pics of hubby posing on our wedding night to people who really dont need to see them hehehe.......

we went to amsterdam last year, and we have a photo of a girl sitting on her chair in the window. He took it to work yesterday,and the guy asked why the booth next to her was empty, dont need to be too bright to hear what he said.. Oh i married her!!!!! I was going to kill him. I just hope doesnt try and be a smart ass and say that at the interview!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

is it a padded office, or just a booth!! Hate to be showing them naked pics of hubby posing on our wedding night to people who really dont need to see them hehehe.......

we went to amsterdam last year, and we have a photo of a girl sitting on her chair in the window. He took it to work yesterday,and the guy asked why the booth next to her was empty, dont need to be too bright to hear what he said.. Oh i married her!!!!! I was going to kill him. I just hope doesnt try and be a smart ass and say that at the interview!
omg omg omg

He would truly be a dead man!

and lol, I don't think they're looking for THAT kind of wedding pics!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:00 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Perhaps it's the darkness before the dawn.
I didn't realise Toontje didn't have a job at the minute so all the best to you both and to him finding a job!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:11 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I was half joking in the last reply then after being at work I realised a huge cultural divide
Hunting .............

In the UK its a dirty word but here its a way of life ....we are not talking city slickers weekending ...here its about food on the table ....Most of the guys I drink with hunt all the time ....they eat most everything they kill ....deer and wild pig mostly but they will go after coyote and wolf for the fur ....

Its totally different to the jolly hockey sticks on horse back in the UK...

Last weekend I was left a package on the door step ...it was fresh deer meat and some wild pig livers ....delicious too ... no idea who left it ...abit like the home made wine the locals keep leaving on the doorstep ....that stuff cleans the brass ornaments though ...
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:47 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I didn't realise Toontje didn't have a job at the minute so all the best to you both and to him finding a job!
Thanks.... we are gutted because he had two promising face-to-face interviews this week (after passing written and telephone interviews) that had to be cancelled last minute due to his having to fly home to Holland.

Life's rough sometimes.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:05 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Thanks.... we are gutted because he had two promising face-to-face interviews this week (after passing written and telephone interviews) that had to be cancelled last minute due to his having to fly home to Holland.

Life's rough sometimes.
It certainly is and you and Toon are getting spadefuls of it at the moment - I am so sorry with all you are going through, that and his Dad etc I can only hope it gets better for you both very soon!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
I was half joking in the last reply then after being at work I realised a huge cultural divide
Hunting .............

In the UK its a dirty word but here its a way of life ....we are not talking city slickers weekending ...here its about food on the table ....Most of the guys I drink with hunt all the time ....they eat most everything they kill ....deer and wild pig mostly but they will go after coyote and wolf for the fur ....

Its totally different to the jolly hockey sticks on horse back in the UK...

Last weekend I was left a package on the door step ...it was fresh deer meat and some wild pig livers ....delicious too ... no idea who left it ...abit like the home made wine the locals keep leaving on the doorstep ....that stuff cleans the brass ornaments though ...
I agree that hunting is different here, for the most part anyway, people hunt for food not just for fun. I've still got no hunting signs all over our property though. I like the deer as they are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.