British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cultural-differences-between-usc-other-uk-spouses-438010/)

TouristTrap Mar 27th 2007 7:31 pm

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

What are some of the fundamental differences which you had to work out in your marriage/relationship?

My dh was of a different culture to mine, and even though I was educated within his culture's system (in a way), it still took a few years to work out various issues in our marriage.

Disciplining of kids
Family priorities.

Etc.

I know I'm not the only one.

Ray Mar 27th 2007 8:12 pm

Re: Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4569214)
What are some of the fundamental differences which you had to work out in your marriage/relationship?
My dh was of a different culture to mine, and even though I was educated within his culture's system (in a way), it still took a few years to work out .

Ours was more servant and master ....
but with my good training..problem was soon solved ..

TouristTrap Mar 27th 2007 8:20 pm

Don't you have to go and stand in line?

Maz Mar 27th 2007 8:40 pm

Hubby and I spent a lot of time saying "WHAT??" to each other. He still speaks funny. :p We have similar values on most stuff, so childrearing isn't really a problem.

I had to get used to Blues music... hadn't really been in to it before. He had to get used to me dancing. As in ballet and all. That's not really too 'cultural' between the UK and the US per se, just between us.

I think there was a ton more difference between me and my French ex. :lol: :rofl:

britvic Mar 27th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4569564)
Hubby and I spent a lot of time saying "WHAT??" to each other. He still speaks funny. :p

We still do that or he mainly say's it to me :lol: notice our age gap sometimes :o when I talk about my childhood, but we get on very well really all things considered, being the same star sign help's.

TouristTrap Mar 27th 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4569606)
We still do that or he mainly say's it to me :lol: notice our age gap sometimes :o when I talk about my childhood, but we get on very well really all things considered, being the same star sign help's.

Cradle snatcher.

britvic Mar 27th 2007 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4569650)
Cradle snatcher.

I prefer the term "young man come here" :p

Triumphrob Mar 27th 2007 9:39 pm

I married an American girl first, then single for 5 (wohoo) now married to a Chinese girl.
They have much stronger family values than Americans, and take care of their men, which in turn makes me want to do the same in return. Best thing I ever did!!
Rob

Just Jenney Mar 27th 2007 10:20 pm

This isn't so much a "cultural difference" between us, but I've noticed that since we married, every so often when we go out to dinner the waiters will ask if we want separate checks after we've finished our meal, even though we've given them no reason to think that we would. I never had this happen with my first (American) husband. I guess a couple with two different accents can't be married to each other!

~ Jenney

Tracym Mar 28th 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 4569999)
This isn't so much a "cultural difference" between us, but I've noticed that since we married, every so often when we go out to dinner the waiters will ask if we want separate checks after we've finished our meal, even though we've given them no reason to think that we would. I never had this happen with my first (American) husband. I guess a couple with two different accents can't be married to each other!

~ Jenney

That's a new one on me, never had THAT happen. lol, and I'm the cradle snatcher.

Not my spouse yet, but we've spent a fair bit of time together - he thinks noone should be in the room if he's talking on the phone, and if I'm on the phone I'll yak happily away, don't really care.

Bob Mar 28th 2007 12:57 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4569214)

none really so far...

Bob Mar 28th 2007 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4570356)
That's a new one on me, never had THAT happen. lol, and I'm the cradle snatcher.

had that happen ourselves...on a anniversary dinner too :lol:

TouristTrap Mar 28th 2007 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4570462)
none really so far...

Ah, but you were able to mold her into a Brit fairly early on........

*please don't hurt me MTTM* :rofl: :rofl:

nethead Mar 28th 2007 11:38 am

Haven't really had much problem with cultural differences with my American husband, but he was an Anglophile before I even met him :D

Circus-of-Power Mar 29th 2007 12:23 am

The wife doesn't go to the pub as often as I do .... thats the only really cultural difference ....the Brits go to the pub for just about any reason or for no reason at all ....here in the Midwest women go to get wasted or to find a husband thats it ...

Apart from that ...just different tastes in food ....the way Christmas dinner should be made ....and the fact that I think the USA educational system is p*ss poor.