Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences between USC (or other) and UK spouses

Originally Posted by danfan
I agree that hunting is different here, for the most part anyway, people hunt for food not just for fun. I've still got no hunting signs all over our property though. I like the deer as they are
hubby goes hunting and i refuse to eat the produce he slaughters!! Especially after he got a couple of pheasants and spent half a day trying to get the pellets out of its body. I can buy them at Krogers if i need them and less hassle.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:05 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that hunting is different here, for the most part anyway, people hunt for food not just for fun. I've still got no hunting signs all over our property though. I like the deer as they are
What you mean raw???
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
What you mean raw???
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Like the old Arizona answer to "How do you want your steak done?"

Answer: Grab him by the horns, wipe his butt, run him past the fire and bring him over!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
hubby goes hunting and i refuse to eat the produce he slaughters!! Especially after he got a couple of pheasants and spent half a day trying to get the pellets out of its body. I can buy them at Krogers if i need them and less hassle.
fresh deer/moose/elk....it's lovely, and so much cheaper than buying it...don't half make you fart though
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I talk less she talks more!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
What are some of the fundamental differences which you had to work out in your marriage/relationship?

My dh was of a different culture to mine, and even though I was educated within his culture's system (in a way), it still took a few years to work out various issues in our marriage.

Disciplining of kids
Family priorities.

Etc.

I know I'm not the only one.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I talk less she talks more!
So no different then?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
So no different then?
we talk because men are cowards!! They just sit there and give the impression they really dont give a damn!! I have been having a nervous breakdown for this immigration stuff and really wanted to stick a knife in hubby more than once because he gives the impression he really dont care. After it was over he sat there and said thank god that is over its been worrying me for weeks. !! Now had he said that to me a couple of weeks ago i wouldnt have thought i was on this road alone!!!!!!!!!!!! MEN!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

we talk because men are cowards!! They just sit there and give the impression they really dont give a damn!! I have been having a nervous breakdown for this immigration stuff and really wanted to stick a knife in hubby more than once because he gives the impression he really dont care. After it was over he sat there and said thank god that is over its been worrying me for weeks. !! Now had he said that to me a couple of weeks ago i wouldnt have thought i was on this road alone!!!!!!!!!!!! MEN!!!!!!!!!
lolol yes I often wonder if we'll both survive the immigration forms, without one of us (HIM!) becoming deceased.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Not that many cultural differences with us except that I am having a nervous breakdown abt immigration and he is very easy going. Some differences in food -- he wants things all greasy like bacon and sausages and fried eggs, and likes A LOT of sugar in everything.

But we had a good Christmas--he brought the crackers and the pud and we had a normal meal. Mostly we like the same foods and he makes a GREAT Yorkshire Pudding, whereas I was never very good at it. Neither of us will eat American junk food so we cook from scratch, neither of us will tolerate American bad manners but HE is bold enough to tell them off right to their faces.

Mostly we have the same tastes and the same values but that's probably because we are both "older" generation.

We will be living here in Massachusetts and that's perfect for us because we share a mutual interest in history--and we both like being near the ocean. (I love your English food and I am eager to go and visit him in England -- you can't get good food here anymore without spending a fortune.)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:36 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

hubby goes hunting and i refuse to eat the produce he slaughters!!
What kind of produce is he slaughtering? Lettuce? Broccoli?

Not..... CARROTS!?! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

~ Jenney
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My friends once prepared venison chili telling everyone he went out hunting that morning and found this great buck that we were now eating. I then thought about it and asked him "weren't you passed out this morning from a late night last night?"

"Yea, but I couldn't tell anyone I hit this deer with my truck on the way home from the bar."

Couldn't taste the difference between shotgun pellets and a Ford bumper.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Oscar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I see where your coming from.
There are some major headaches ahead. Circumcision is one topic we clash on. The non neccessity of huge credit card bills, the use of cash to purchase. Our approach to drinking shocks some, I know what I throw out over dinner conversations can upset my wife. I'm not for blind patriotism, we question government alot? My wife shouts and gets aggresive when we haven't even got near arguing, then I get angry. My trick is to say I don't want a fight, listen to the point made, see how far your point is off and meet in the middle on things. I'm let go on the odd alcohol bender, if she can splurge in the shops, that kind of stuff.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
"Yea, but I couldn't tell anyone I hit this deer with my truck on the way home from the bar."

Couldn't taste the difference between shotgun pellets and a Ford bumper.
probably an offence picking up road kill?

In Maine, it is, you've got to report it and then it comes down to if the cop or game warden can't be bothered to deal with it, or want it themselves, they'll let you take it...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:28 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
probably an offence picking up road kill?

In Maine, it is, you've got to report it and then it comes down to if the cop or game warden can't be bothered to deal with it, or want it themselves, they'll let you take it...
If a tree falls in the forest...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.