Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

Old May 15th 2013, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Swings and roundabouts. I feel much safer living in a safe neighbourhood here than I ever did in the UK. IMO the bad elements tend to stick to the not so desirable neighbourhoods...in the UK it doesn't matter where you live...you could still get your house burgled or your car stolen. We have a very strong police presence in my small town...cops are patrolling the roads all the time. If I call for the police they are at my door in literally 2 minutes.
For me, I feel about the same like JG said, it's swings and roundabouts. I moved from a low crime area of London to a semi rural area, beyond the city limits, so no "police", just the sheriff's dept. I've never needed to call them, and in ten years the housing estate where I live (of just over 80 houses) has had three burglaries, plus one night when some kids came and "broke into" unlocked cars parked in driveways. That they got into somewhere close to 20 vehicles tells you how safe the residents think the area is.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Macksco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

Did this Exact move 4 months ago.... I had the aded benefit of having a GF that has lived here for a number of years so getting around and finding places was not hard.

Biggest thing for me is using the car for every thing and a lot - spend close to 2 hours a day on the commute and it takes some getting used to.

It not a scary place really and you soon forget about the guns, You never see them unless at the shooting range (which is fun to try out).

the first month was frustrating due to all the paperwork, SSN, Driving licence, deciding what car to get, no credit etc.... but after that its been great and enjoying the weather whiles its still mild, will get very hot soon.

happy to help with specific questions you may have but i have been here 4 months now and not looked back (missing family aside).
Old May 16th 2013, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macksco
Did this Exact move 4 months ago.... I had the aded benefit of having a GF that has lived here for a number of years so getting around and finding places was not hard.

Biggest thing for me is using the car for every thing and a lot - spend close to 2 hours a day on the commute and it takes some getting used to.

It not a scary place really and you soon forget about the guns, You never see them unless at the shooting range (which is fun to try out).

the first month was frustrating due to all the paperwork, SSN, Driving licence, deciding what car to get, no credit etc.... but after that its been great and enjoying the weather whiles its still mild, will get very hot soon.

happy to help with specific questions you may have but i have been here 4 months now and not looked back (missing family aside).
Welcome to BE.

4 months...you are still in the expats 'honeymoon period'.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Macksco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

4 months...you are still in the expats 'honeymoon period'.
thanks!

ohhh that is for sure.... but was expecting it to be a lot more harder of an adjustment than its been! Maybe coming from Aberdeen anywhere else is better

time will tell but so far so good!
Old May 16th 2013, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macksco
thanks!

ohhh that is for sure.... but was expecting it to be a lot more harder of an adjustment than its been! Maybe coming from Aberdeen anywhere else is better.
I think it's a mindset thing, some people hate it here, others love it, most are somewhere in the middle. FWIW I'm in the same camp as you.
Old May 17th 2013, 1:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sybil580
To all the Aberdonians out there in Houston. I am considering a move across the pond soon and wanted to know what your overall experience has been like. What are the cutural differences, was there anything you found strange, what things are easier?
Language bariers, food, housing, car leasing etc. anything and everything that was different (in a good or bad way) compared to Aberdeen

Thanks
If you have the opportunity to try it, I say take it. The cultural differences are part of the experience, not reasons for or against.

Almost everything will be different, but whether it is better, or not, depends on your attitude.

(I have never been to Houston or Aberdeen)