British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cultural-differences-between-aberdeen-houston-moved-us-forum-797009/)

sybil580 May 14th 2013 2:38 pm

Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

To all the Aberdonians out there in Houston. I am considering a move across the pond soon and wanted to know what your overall experience has been like. What are the cutural differences, was there anything you found strange, what things are easier?
Language bariers, food, housing, car leasing etc. anything and everything that was different (in a good or bad way) compared to Aberdeen

Thanks

Jerseygirl May 14th 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Cultural Differences between Aberdeen & Houston...(Moved to US Forum)

Originally Posted by sybil580 (Post 10707632)
To all the Aberdonians out there in Houston. I am considering a move across the pond soon and wanted to know what your overall experience has been like. What are the cutural differences, was there anything you found strange, what things are easier?
Language bariers, food, housing, car leasing etc. anything and everything that was different (in a good or bad way) compared to Aberdeen

Thanks

I've moved your thread over to the US Forums...as the Welcome Inn is for introductions only. We have quite a few people from Aberdeen living in Houston...hopefully someone will be along soon to help you. :)

Lion in Winter May 14th 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks

This is going to be a long list! I don't know about Houston specifically, but what I do know is that many people make the mistake of thinking that US culture is just a variant on UK culture because we, more or less, share the same language. However, US culture really is totally different from British culture. You might as well ask "what are the cultural differences between Madrid and La Paz" or "Paris and Haiti" (based on a more or less shared language).

If you come with the mindset that you are arriving in a foreign country and act accordingly, you will be a lot happier.

Poppy girl May 14th 2013 3:29 pm

:popcorn:

Lion in Winter May 14th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10707689)
:popcorn:

No, I come in peace. Really.

I meant only to make a helpful remark.

Weeze May 14th 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks

Honestly, everything is different. The list would go on forever. We were offered a relocation information training course as part of our move. Perhaps your company would offer the same thing. It covered some of the basics of etiquette, culture etc.

I will echo what Lion in Winter said. It's a totally different country that offers some of the same language. Treat it as a fun, interesting experience and it will be that.

materialcontroller May 14th 2013 3:44 pm

I'm just curious, but do people actually treat the USA as an offshoot of Britain? I mean it is a foreign country in just the same way as France or Germany are.

Lion in Winter May 14th 2013 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 10707714)
I'm just curious, but do people actually treat the USA as an offshoot of Britain? I mean it is a foreign country in just the same way as France or Germany are.

It is.

But a lot of homesickness, dissatisfaction, and unpleasant surprises result from not really thinking that this is the case. People don't think it's the same country, they just think the culture will be more similar than it is. Americans make the same mistake in their dealings with us, btw.

Weeze May 14th 2013 3:52 pm

I can only speak from my experience.

Certainly in Houston there is some elements of that, yes. With a high amount of oil moves for a few years (and a deceptively easy visa process for many), you do meet a minority of people who want it to be a hot UK. I have met some, not many. They wanted to be surrounded by Brits, shop only for British goods and complained about all the differences.

Back to the original poster though, if you have any more specific questions I'm happy to help!

mechi machaj May 14th 2013 4:09 pm

Just moved to Kentucky, living just where 3 estates meet (Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky).
Previously lived in England for 18 years. In the north of Egland I found this amuzing, you travel 5 miles and you hear a different accent!
Here in the USA the estates are bigger and obviously you will find more cultural differences in a bigger picture. Moreover, I believe each estate have their own rules, eg regarding driving licences, estate agents, etc. After living in different countries, I have learnt that wherever you go, just keep your mind open and try not to compare too much. I hope this helps!

Jerseygirl May 14th 2013 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10707721)
It is.

But a lot of homesickness, dissatisfaction, and unpleasant surprises result from not really thinking that this is the case. People don't think it's the same country, they just think the culture will be more similar than it is. Americans make the same mistake in their dealings with us, btw.

IMO it's because we speak the same language...sort of :D...we have grown up with US films and TV programs etc.

When I first came her an Australian lady said she thought moving to the US would be easier if we didn't speak the same language. IMO that just about sums it up.

Bob May 14th 2013 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10707721)
It is.

That and a lot of people think they might know the culture better than expected because of all the tele/movies, even if only on a sub-concious level.

To the OP, welcome to BE and good luck....but your questions, well have a read on various threads as well as the wiki up top, they might be more general than what you're after, but generally, a lot of the questions will have the same sort of answer regardless.

md95065 May 14th 2013 4:56 pm

You could do worse that read "Brit-Think, Ameri-Think: A Transatlantic Survival Guide" by Jane Walmsley.

Although it is a humo(u)r book it does a good job of identifying some of the fundamental differences ...

Pulaski May 14th 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10707829)
You could do worse that read "Brit-Think, Ameri-Think: A Transatlantic Survival Guide" by Jane Walmsley.

Although it is a humo(u)r book it does a good job of identifying some of the fundamental differences ...

I don't know if it's still in print, but try "Culture Shock: The American South". Of course Texas is not a typical southern state, but it'll give you some ideas, and it is a quick read.

IMO the differences are centered around four broad areas: cars/trucks & driving, the size of houses & pool/patio culture, firearms & distrust of government (especially the Federal government) , and the pervasive influence of evangelical protestant Christians. All four areas are significant and create differences, but they are all interrelated.

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10707879)
I don't know if it's still in print, but try "Culture Shock: The American South". Of course Texas is not a typical southern state, but it'll give you some ideas, and it is a quick read.

IMO the differences are centered around four broad areas: cars/trucks & driving, the size of houses & pool/patio culture, firearms & distrust of government (especially the Federal government) , and the pervasive influence of evangelical protestant Christians. All four areas are significant and create differences, but they are all interrelated.

Agree with your 4, but I'll throw in Football - High School, College, NFL or preferably all of them.