Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural difference? Job-hopping as career progression

Cultural difference? Job-hopping as career progression

Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural difference? Job-hopping as career progression

Originally Posted by Bob
I just don't know anyone who has...then again, don't know that many companies old enough

You know me. I've been with this job/boss for 23 years.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Jump hopping shows that you are willing to learn new things and take chances, if you are at the same job for say 8 yrs and no progression some companies look at you as not been good.

Originally Posted by celticgrid
A question relating to the cultural differences in the workplace...

It seems to me that changing jobs after only a short period, for purposes of 'career progression', is an accepted part of the culture here in the US. Certainly, it appears, far more so than in the UK.

Or is it just me?

Or is this just times a-changing?

The views of others are sought!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly want to work for a company like that but on the west coast job hopping is a must.

Originally Posted by TerryVA
I was part of an interview team (just to keep the numbers up - I'm not normally part of the process) and one applicant had a couple of jobs in a short space of time. I thought they were the better candidate technically, but the boss had a negative opinion of "job hopping". They didn't get the job.

In other words, it depends on who's doing the hiring.

Terry
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Jump hopping shows that you are willing to learn new things and take chances, if you are at the same job for say 8 yrs and no progression some companies look at you as not been good.
Basically, anything you do can and will be used against you :P.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:23 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Then there's the case of unavoidable job-hopping. I've worked for companies that filed Chapter 11 (my job disappeared), or were bought by their main competitor (the company disappeared).

Terry
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TerryVA
Then there's the case of unavoidable job-hopping. I've worked for companies that filed Chapter 11 (my job disappeared), or were bought by their main competitor (the company disappeared).
Yep, happened to me - company bought, no renewals for any contractors, so muggins had to go and find himself a new contract. Nevertheless a hiring manager's job is partially to find reasons to filter out people so anything that doesn't 100% match their ideas tends to get the boot. Stayed there too long? Job hopping too much? etc etc.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, happened to me - company bought, no renewals for any contractors, so muggins had to go and find himself a new contract. Nevertheless a hiring manager's job is partially to find reasons to filter out people so anything that doesn't 100% match their ideas tends to get the boot. Stayed there too long? Job hopping too much? etc etc.
I think this is even more the case nowadays....Seems to me companies are not currently interested in spending to train anyone. It is almost the case that unless you have done *exactly* the job advertised, you'll be out of luck. I understand at the moment there are a lot of candidates for each position and they can cherrypick....but on the whole think the lack of willingness by many companies to invest in their employees is very short sighted.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Cultural difference? Job-hopping as career progression

Not against you, you are more marketable. On the west coast, they are looking at you to fix their problems not create them. Plus, your pay grows each time you jump (most of the time).