Cuba

Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cuba

Cuba move triggers war of words:
Fidel Castro announces the new measures on TV in a Cuban home
Many Cubans rely on dollar remittances from relatives in the US
The US and Cuba have launched into another bitter war of words following Cuba's decision to ban transactions in dollars on the island....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3957223.stm

Does anyone else think this whole Cuba ban a bit OTT these days?
Has anyone been there? or would like to?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cuba

Yep, I agree.

Looks like a 10% tax on dollar transactions!

So people will remit Euros's instead. All very petty.

I have asked people why the US thing about Cuba, nobody seems to know. Bay of Pigs was a very long time ago. Guess it will go away when Castro dies, surely he can not hang around much longer.

I have not been there, but have friends who have. Some on business, mostly on all inclusive holiday deals which were pretty cheap.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have asked people why the US thing about Cuba, nobody seems to know. Bay of Pigs was a very long time ago. Guess it will go away when Castro dies, surely he can not hang around much longer.

I have not been there, but have friends who have. Some on business, mostly on all inclusive holiday deals which were pretty cheap.
That's the thing....it's all a bit pat...and if it were just the communist thing...there doesn't seem to be the same hang up with china etc...

I'd love to go, had a couple friends go, sister also liked it, cheap drinks lounging about pretty much....certainly looks like a nice country to visit, sites wise.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I took my holiday there last year, Cuba is a beautiful place, it's very hot there in the summer but the beaches are completely unspoilt and you don't get bugged by salesman trying to sell you some naff overpriced souvenirs.

Although I did feel guilty being on an all inclusive gorging myself on everything from pork to lobster with wine imported from Spain when the locals had a pound of rice for the entire week. Fortunately some of the workers at our resort were allowed to bring in their immediate families once a month to eat in one of the restaurants with us.

-tom
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:31 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Cuba move triggers war of words:
Fidel Castro announces the new measures on TV in a Cuban home
Many Cubans rely on dollar remittances from relatives in the US
The US and Cuba have launched into another bitter war of words following Cuba's decision to ban transactions in dollars on the island....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3957223.stm

Does anyone else think this whole Cuba ban a bit OTT these days?
Has anyone been there? or would like to?
Several of my mates have taken holidays there in recent years and not one came back with a negative take.
Surely the U.S. is big enough to apologize for interfering and allow a tiny little country to get on with its own thing after all this time.