Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crumbling America

Crumbling America

Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:12 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crumbling America

Originally Posted by psb182
it's the extreem temperatures and snowplows that screw up the roads the UK does not have any plows and rarley gets below freezing
not a lot of snowploughs in south texas, but the roads are still crap....build em damn fast though....our local strecth of I-10 is going from 8 to 18 lanes in a matter of weeks.....and not a squeaking environmentalist to be heard...all drowned out by the bulldozers and 18-wheelers!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:51 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by psb182
it's the extreem temperatures and snowplows that screw up the roads the UK does not have any plows and rarley gets below freezing
Britain has snowploughs. They just dont come out very often. The B roads in britain are screwed up by tractors and other heavy farm machinery.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
only joking, tho missed the smiles..hmmm...
As for open cab, yeah, the back part of the pick up's...
Knew you were joking, but at the time was stroking my pooch, so felt it appropriate to defend pooches brethren
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:54 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by ladylisa
...but at the time was stroking my pooch...

Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I think there's a general agreement here that the roads in the US pretty much suck. The state of the roads here is compounded if you happen to be unfortunate enough to drive anything made in Detroit.
As if the roads aren't bad enough, I don't see the point in trying to navigate them in big pick up trucks and SUV's that were designed and built with all the agility of a dinosaur with a wooden leg that's just had a weekend session with Oliver Reed!!
I love the addiction here to horsepower but don't understand why they apply so much horsepower to vehicles that shake the fillings out of your teeth when you ride over an empty cigarette packet.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:03 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by rushman
I think there's a general agreement here that the roads in the US pretty much suck....
Although Im sure some people will tell you you're imagining it and to get over it

Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Roads in the Northern US do suck. Roads here in Texas are pretty darned good. If there's a pothole, it is more than likely due to settling of the road over time rather than snow/damage from snow removal equipment or snow tires. As to an 18-lane I-10,
:scared: the main damage that's done to roads is along I-10 and I-30 and the like from cross country truckers. Texas is a relatively litter-free state and I'm always relieved to find that what had looked like roadkill from about 1/2 mile away turns out to be yet-another 18-wheeler tire that has bitten the dust. I usually do not stop to see if it is still alive
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Our roads in Tampa are so bad, that the prez actually commented in a speech a few months ago, stating that they were the worst he'd ever ridden on. I drove through downtown this week, something I don't normally do, and have to agree with him. They are horrid!! They've gotten worse the last two years; before that they were fine.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:22 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

The roads in rural Illinois were akin to a patchwork quilt .... an old ragged patchwork quilt at that. Some laid from concrete, some tarmac and some are just crushed dirt. Mind you in the local "big" town they have been laying the same stretch of road for over 6 months ... something to do with the Unions and demarcation, so I'm told.

A lot of the back roads are blighted from the scars of the numerous tornado's that plague the area.

The other problem is wildlife.... most commonly deer and stags ... one of which ruined my brand new Grand Prix last year ..... the cheeky git even puked its dinner all over the windscreen as it bounced over the top ... The wife thought we had hit a rabbit
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:33 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you prophets of doom. It's the downward spiral the economy has taken since Bush and the Republican administration 9/11 and the Iraq war. Just trying to put things back in perspective here. It isn't just the roads. Our libraries are open only three days of the week now. We've risen from the ashes before and we'll do it again. Circle of life or should that be cycle? Give us a break will ya
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Knew you were joking, but at the time was stroking my pooch, so felt it appropriate to defend pooches brethren

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:22 pm
Doing Research

soonerpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Oklahoma they have no money to repair the interstates. Knackered my suspension driving down to Dallas a few weeks ago. More hole than road in some places.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:43 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonerpete
Here in Oklahoma they have no money to repair the interstates. Knackered my suspension driving down to Dallas a few weeks ago. More hole than road in some places.
Yep. No money to fix roads. But lots to wage an expensive war
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Ok you prophets of doom. It's the downward spiral the economy has taken since Bush and the Republican administration 9/11 and the Iraq war. Just trying to put things back in perspective here. It isn't just the roads. Our libraries are open only three days of the week now. We've risen from the ashes before and we'll do it again. Circle of life or should that be cycle? Give us a break will ya
There sure are a lot of abandoned Roman cities in England.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:38 pm
Doing Research

soonerpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Yep. No money to fix roads. But lots to wage an expensive war
Not to mention unnecessary and illegal.... (cue flamewar...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.