Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cruising to Bahamas

Cruising to Bahamas

Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cruising to Bahamas

Question to all you USCs out there-

Has anyone ever cruised to the Bahamas without a Passport? If so, was a birth certificate and DL really acceptable?

There is conflicting information online and my friend is panicking.

Yes I know before you say it, she needs a Passport.... it's too late at this point before the cruise however.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cruising to Bahamas

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Question to all you USCs out there-

Has anyone ever cruised to the Bahamas without a Passport? If so, was a birth certificate and DL really acceptable?

There is conflicting information online and my friend is panicking.

Yes I know before you say it, she needs a Passport.... it's too late at this point before the cruise however.

Thanks in advance.
Nope. We were there at Christmas as had our PPs. Even if the authorities don't need one the cruise company may not allow boarding without one.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Carnival states only BC and DL are acceptable as long as the cruise is a closed loop (US port to same US port) but I don't know, she's weary.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Carnival states only BC and DL are acceptable as long as the cruise is a closed loop (US port to same US port) but I don't know, she's weary.
Why doesn't she call/email Carnival and ask? What PP does she have.? What is DC and DL?

Edit. https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...e-bahamas.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 9th 2016 at 5:05 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:54 pm
Often not so civil...

She's a USC and has never had a passport. Birth certificate and driving license jersey! Lol

I know I know, I told her to call, but hey ho
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Definitive answer from a long-time cruiser...

No, she doesn't NEED a passport. BC & DL is sufficient.

However, there is one big caveat. If anyone in the party gets injured or, for any reason, misses the departure from one of the ports, travel home becomes exceedingly difficult. That's why a passport is recommended.

...and yes, it does happen. It's a sport to get to a viewing point and watch people running up the pier to make the ship, despite the warnings to be on board 30 or 60 minutes before sailaway. Just be sure it's not her!
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:24 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

She's a USC and has never had a passport. Birth certificate and driving license jersey! ....
When are you sailing?

And are you saying she has an NJ license? .... Does she live there, or in SC? If SC, how long ago did she move there?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
It's a sport to get to a viewing point and watch people running up the pier to make the ship, despite the warnings to be on board 30 or 60 minutes before sailaway. Just be sure it's not her!
I was supposed to be cruising to the Bahamas last week but Hermine put paid to that We were re-routed to Mexico and Honduras

We had a great view of the pier in Cozumel. A couple came down the pier in a rickshaw right at the deadline. The guy was totally wasted and refused to get out of the rickshaw. After about 20 minutes, several ship personnel had to physically drag him out and into a wheelchair to get him on board.

Best entertainment of the week.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
When are you sailing?

And are you saying she has an NJ license? .... Does she live there, or in SC? If SC, how long ago did she move there?
The reference to jersey in his post is directed at Jerseygirl, who asked him the question.

Rene
Old Sep 9th 2016, 11:53 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
When are you sailing?

Really Pulaski?

Thanks all for the input, I think I'm just going to take the bull by the horns and call myself
Old Sep 10th 2016, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pal,
quick note the Atlanta US passport office
Physical Address:
230 Peachtree St NW, Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30303
is having an open day tomorrow Saturday 10 September no appointment required https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...rt-agency.html

tell her to get her skates on
Old Sep 10th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Really Pulaski?

Thanks all for the input, I think I'm just going to take the bull by the horns and call myself
Call yourself? Can't you just speak to yourself in the mirror like most normal people???

If you mean call the cruise company, what are they going to tell you that's different to what's in their documentation and what you've been told already?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:06 pm
Often not so civil...

Agreed - but at least I can say that I called.... you don't know this girl Guin, she worries lol
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - but at least I can say that I called.... you don't know this girl Guin, she worries lol
If she is so darn worried, why isn't she researching it herself?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:11 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she'd worry less if she had a passport.

You csn get a US passport in as little as 24 hrs .... if you're prepared to pay for the service.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 10th 2016 at 4:21 pm.