Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crossing the Atlantic with Airmiles

Crossing the Atlantic with Airmiles

Old May 9th 2004, 10:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Crossing the Atlantic with Airmiles

Wow, you Brits living on the West Coast have a great advantage over us lot on the East Coast.

I was looking up the frequent flyer miles needed to bring my mum over on my husband's BA miles and it's the same number of miles to New York and other Eastern seaboard destinations (50,000) as it is to go from London to somewhere like San Francisco or LA etc.

The problem for us on the East Coast is that it takes far longer to earn those FF miles as the airlines only count the actual miles flown to go towards earning a FF reward!
Old May 9th 2004, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure, that when I upgraded a few tickets with United using airmiles, it was only around 18,000 airmiles needed to get Business class, trans atlantic and first class when I hit domestic in Chicago down to Phoenix. I did this 4 times with the airmiles I collected flying from the U.K. to Phoenix. I still have around 15,000 sitting around now.
Old May 9th 2004, 11:52 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crossing the Atlantic with Airmiles

Originally posted by Englishmum
Wow, you Brits living on the West Coast have a great advantage over us lot on the East Coast.

I was looking up the frequent flyer miles needed to bring my mum over on my husband's BA miles and it's the same number of miles to New York and other Eastern seaboard destinations (50,000) as it is to go from London to somewhere like San Francisco or LA etc.

The problem for us on the East Coast is that it takes far longer to earn those FF miles as the airlines only count the actual miles flown to go towards earning a FF reward!
Yes but the tickets to earn the airmiles cost more

Having said that I accumulate an awful lot of my miles through my credit card and hotel stays (Hilton Honors etc). I hate the way AA and BA don't credit each other (code sharing) for transatlantic flights. Means I have two sets of airmiles in two seperate accounts. At least BA allows you to have a family account with free sharing of miles between family members - if you want to gift miles with AA you have to pay. GRRRRR!
Old May 9th 2004, 11:54 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm pretty sure, that when I upgraded a few tickets with United using airmiles, it was only around 18,000 airmiles needed to get Business class, trans atlantic and first class when I hit domestic in Chicago down to Phoenix. I did this 4 times with the airmiles I collected flying from the U.K. to Phoenix. I still have around 15,000 sitting around now.
I don't really fly with United anymore. Wasn't that keen on them. Have heap of their miles somewhere.
Old May 10th 2004, 12:36 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I hate the way AA and BA don't credit each other (code sharing) for transatlantic flights.
But they do. They're both in One World so you can just pick a card and use it on either airline.
Old May 10th 2004, 2:31 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by sibsie
But they do. They're both in One World so you can just pick a card and use it on either airline.
Yes, but you can't combine the miles. i.e use 30k from AA and 30k from BA so you have to wait until you have accumulated enough miles in each account independently because if you fly BA US to Europe you can't have your AA Advantage account credited with the miles and vice versa (they DO codeshare on other flights!).
Old May 10th 2004, 3:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Actually, I think it depends on whether both airlines serve the same route. When I traveled here in Jan 2001 I chose to fly with BA because I was bringing my dog and BA treated her well last time I flew. They (BA) told me I couldn't get AA frequent flyer miles because AA also served the same route and I chose to fly with BA, not AA. Maybe things have chenged since then or they were just BS'ing me.
Old May 10th 2004, 3:29 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by dunroving
Actually, I think it depends on whether both airlines serve the same route. When I traveled here in Jan 2001 I chose to fly with BA because I was bringing my dog and BA treated her well last time I flew. They (BA) told me I couldn't get AA frequent flyer miles because AA also served the same route and I chose to fly with BA, not AA. Maybe things have chenged since then or they were just BS'ing me.
They do have codesharing on US domestic flights now - even where they both serve the same route, intorduced earlier this year.
Old May 10th 2004, 3:39 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by dunroving

you cant earn (or redeem) BA miles with AA for transatlantic flights. and vice versa. on US domestic flights, you can earn miles.

i look forward to the day, travellers can switch miles from one airline to the other. just like mobile/cell phones or credit cards.