British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Crisps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/crisps-680639/)

SpoogleDrummer Aug 12th 2010 3:56 pm

Re: Crisps

I'm surprised by the lack of bacon flavoured crisps over here. You can get bacon on everything, even salads but I can't find crisps flavoured with the stuff. I'd love some smokey bacon crisps and I'd quite possibly kill for some Frazzles.

Englishtart Aug 12th 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 8772599)
I'm surprised by the lack of bacon flavoured crisps over here. You can get bacon on everything, even salads but I can't find crisps flavoured with the stuff. I'd love some smokey bacon crisps and I'd quite possibly kill for some Frazzles.

Oooooh Frazzles:wub: I had almost forgotten about those:unsure:

meauxna Aug 12th 2010 4:10 pm

Well, for $500, you can read up on the whys/wherefores:
The 2009-2014 Outlook for Bacon-Flavored Potato Chips in the United States [Paperback]

Although they allegedly exist here... http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1897

http://twitter.com/baconpotatochip

There's bacon flavored crackers, but it's just not the same...

Bob Aug 12th 2010 4:49 pm

Pringles, they've got a bacon flavour that's not to bad...that's about all I've seen...

But speaking of bacon, did find a bacon popcorn recipe that I'm going to give a go later, probably gross, but worth a shot...cook bacon and pop the corn in the fat, crumble bacon on top and sprinkle cheese and layer in a tray, in the oven for a few mins till cheese melts....eat until the heartburn of vomit gets you :D

chartreuse Aug 12th 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8772649)
Although they allegedly exist here... http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1897

I thought those looked a bit Canadian, so I googled. According to WikiPedia Lay's do Smoky Bacon, Roast Chicken etc up there, but not down here*.

* Possibly because the report you linked to found (pp. 111-117)** that your average redneck, when offered the crisps, screamed "OMG!!! Canadian Chips!!! They'll turn me into a Mexican!!!!:eek::eek::eek:"

** Though perhaps not, given that I made that up.

penguinbar Aug 12th 2010 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8767832)
Our little one likes the Trader Joes, a knock off to the Pirate Bootie...which ain't to bad either...

I love Bugles. Ate them all the time as a kid! They have sweet and salty ones out now! Very dangerous!

Burn1911 Aug 12th 2010 5:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8772646)
Oooooh Frazzles:wub: I had almost forgotten about those:unsure:

Think its about time I hit my sister up for another food parcel :thumbsup:

meauxna Aug 12th 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8772760)
Pringles, they've got a bacon flavour that's not to bad...that's about all I've seen...

But speaking of bacon, did find a bacon popcorn recipe that I'm going to give a go later, probably gross, but worth a shot...cook bacon and pop the corn in the fat, crumble bacon on top and sprinkle cheese and layer in a tray, in the oven for a few mins till cheese melts....eat until the heartburn of vomit gets you :D

omg, that sounds good.. but melting cheese over popcorn? Won't it go flat?
Report on completion please!

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8772802)
I thought those looked a bit Canadian, so I googled. According to WikiPedia Lay's do Smoky Bacon, Roast Chicken etc up there, but not down here*.

* Possibly because the report you linked to found (pp. 111-117)** that your average redneck, when offered the crisps, screamed "OMG!!! Canadian Chips!!! They'll turn me into a Mexican!!!!:eek::eek::eek:"

** Though perhaps not, given that I made that up.

:lol::lol::lol:
Will have to look for some roast chix flavor next time up there too...

Was it the French label that gave it away? :p

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 8772828)
I love Bugles. Ate them all the time as a kid! They have sweet and salty ones out now! Very dangerous!

Oh dear.. a new problem.. mmmmm

Bob Aug 12th 2010 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8772911)
omg, that sounds good.. but melting cheese over popcorn? Won't it go flat?
Report on completion please!

I have no idea...but I'm willing to give it a go and find out :D

N1cky Aug 12th 2010 6:36 pm

If we have to go back to England I am going to set up a business exporting crisps, chocolate and clothes to you lot.

Order forms to follow shortly:lol:

Bob Aug 12th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8773016)
I have no idea...but I'm willing to give it a go and find out :D

and it was awesome!

G77 Aug 12th 2010 9:43 pm

We get bacon crisps over here and roast chicken.... Not a massive selection, but more than we find north of the border in the D.

I'm quite partial to snack mix - my current favourite is Cheez Its Double Cheese snack mix, yum!

meauxna Aug 13th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8773347)
and it was awesome!

PM the recipe, wouldja? Sounds like it could be a good party food too.
Speaking of, it's getting time for picnic potluck parties.. I think I've got 3 to get ready for, so must go browse the recipe thread.
<burp>

Jerseygirl Aug 13th 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8775428)
PM the recipe, wouldja? Sounds like it could be a good party food too.
Speaking of, it's getting time for picnic potluck parties.. I think I've got 3 to get ready for, so must go browse the recipe thread.
<burp>

Is this the one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=3304

meauxna Aug 13th 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8775446)

You didn't want me to rush right into something as specialized as cooking, did you?! :sneaky:

thanks! :D