British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Crisps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/crisps-680639/)

Sally Redux Aug 11th 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Crisps

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8769824)

And you can always bring me some Hot Nuts; can't get enough of those.

Indeed! :lol:

chartreuse Aug 11th 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8769824)
Chile Limon *anything*. mmmmmm
Kettle makes a nice white corn chip w/chile limon.

And you can always bring me some Hot Nuts; can't get enough of those.

I thought the first part of your reply was to Bill for his heathenish suggestion about some carrot thingie.

:lol: Nah, the only good vegetable crisps are beetroot.

But, why are Beer Nuts not nuts, over here?

Englishtart Aug 11th 2010 6:07 pm

Something I had been wanting to try since we moved here was 'boiled peanuts' they are sold everywhere, even on the side of the road on carts. I bought some last weekend...YUCK!!!! it's like eating fishy tasting slime:frown:

The fried ones are pretty good though;)

Bill_S Aug 11th 2010 6:43 pm

Countdown to a diet thread... 3 - 2 - 1 ...

Back on topic - in the 70s, Hostess came out with fruit-flavored chips (crisps) in Canada. Orange, cherry, and grape. They only lasted a few months on the market due to their unparalleled vileness. There are mentions of them on the web, but I haven't found any pictures.

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8769909)
Something I had been wanting to try since we moved here was 'boiled peanuts' they are sold everywhere, even on the side of the road on carts. I bought some last weekend...YUCK!!!! it's like eating fishy tasting slime:frown:

The fried ones are pretty good though;)

Bit controversial this one:unsure: but

Whats with the popcorn out here, its really disgusting, and adding butter to it just makes it worse:(

meauxna Aug 11th 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8769851)
But, why are Beer Nuts not nuts, over here?

But they are! :confused: My dad used to eat those when I was a kidlet.. mmmmm. Peanuts covered in.. who the hell knows (and don't tell me!)

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8770112)

Whats with the popcorn out here, its really disgusting, and adding butter to it just makes it worse:(

omg, here we go... Go on, enlighten us Cretans.. what could be wrong with the popcorn (which is surely a new world food?).
Maybe it's the water you're drinking with it? :p

ChocolateBabz Aug 11th 2010 7:31 pm

Had the Pringles Tomato Ketchup - not a patch on Walkers Tomato Ketchup I'm afraid - not nearly enough flavour.

Have a thing for popchips - original or salt and vinegar - don't write them off cos they look like flat rice cakes - they are really good and crispy.

Not that I am eating any crisps at the moment - am on the 'OMG a stone and a half in 2 years diet' !!!!!

Englishtart Aug 11th 2010 7:38 pm

I don't eat popcorn...I heard it was healthy;)

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8770125)
But they are! :confused: My dad used to eat those when I was a kidlet.. mmmmm. Peanuts covered in.. who the hell knows (and don't tell me!)

omg, here we go... Go on, enlighten us Cretans.. what could be wrong with the popcorn (which is surely a new world food?).
Maybe it's the water you're drinking with it? :p

If you have it on its own it tastes like cardboard, and if you add butter it tastes revolting. We have toffee coated in the UK, its yummy. When you buy it in the UK you are given a choice of sweet or salty. The first time I went to the cinema out here the guy looked at me like an alien when I asked form sweet popcorn.

I buy some toffee and nutty stuff from F&E to take to the cinema with me.

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8770169)
I don't eat popcorn...I heard it was healthy;)

Not the kind I have:lol:

Burn1911 Aug 11th 2010 7:53 pm

:confused: its the same isn't it. I just ask for no butter!!..... :confused:

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Burn1911 (Post 8770205)
:confused: its the same isn't it. I just ask for no butter!!..... :confused:

No its plain, not toffeed

Burn1911 Aug 11th 2010 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8770206)
No its plain, not toffeed

:D ohhh I see, I never ate popcorn in the UK so that'll be why I don't know about the difference :p

chartreuse Aug 11th 2010 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8770125)

Salt, I reckon. :D

The stuff I had said Beer Nuts, but it was Chex Mix. I guess they make both.

meauxna Aug 11th 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8770199)
If you have it on its own it tastes like cardboard, and if you add butter it tastes revolting. We have toffee coated in the UK, its yummy. When you buy it in the UK you are given a choice of sweet or salty. The first time I went to the cinema out here the guy looked at me like an alien when I asked form sweet popcorn.

I buy some toffee and nutty stuff from F&E to take to the cinema with me.

OK, so there's nothing wrong with American popcorn, except that you personally don't like plain popcorn.

Toffee popcorn is probably what we call Carmel Corn here. It's not typically sold at movie theaters (just different traditions) BUT you can find it in lots of places. There is one in the shopping mall here that you literally almost DIE from walking past because the cooking smells so good.

If you like sweet & salty together (different people, different tastes!) try Kettle Corn flavored sometime.

But dont' go bashing the popcorn.. I've eaten it for dinner enough times to know it's the bomb. :D

Bill_S Aug 11th 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8770224)
OK, so there's nothing wrong with American popcorn, except that you personally don't like plain popcorn.

Toffee popcorn is probably what we call Carmel Corn here. It's not typically sold at movie theaters (just different traditions) BUT you can find it in lots of places. There is one in the shopping mall here that you literally almost DIE from walking past because the cooking smells so good.

If you like sweet & salty together (different people, different tastes!) try Kettle Corn flavored sometime.

But dont' go bashing the popcorn.. I've eaten it for dinner enough times to know it's the bomb. :D

+1

I don't need to add popcorn to The Master List.

Plain, air-popped popcorn is a decent snack. The sugary, caramel, toffee stuff is candy. Blech.