British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Crisps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/crisps-680639/)

Bob Aug 10th 2010 9:45 pm

Crisps

Okay, pretty random this...

Just tried the Target own brand Archers Farms jobby, the crinkle cut General Tso flavour and they tasted just like Walkers roast chicken...weird, but quite good :D

Oh and the Macaroni and Cheese, almost like the cheese and onion...very weird.

So what other crisps do you like out here?

The Trader Joes salt and vinegar are quite lovely, nice and tangy...but I have found I don't really eat as many crisps these days.

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2010 9:50 pm

Re: Crisps

I've just eaten some 'Kettle Classics' salt and vinegar - very good vinegar flavour.

I found some cheese puffs which taste similar to the Marks and Spencer 'Cheese Tasters' :tounge_smile: they were called something like Teddy Bear.

I don't eat as many crisps now I'm over here, which can only be a good thing as savoury snacks are my downfall.

lisa67 Aug 10th 2010 9:54 pm

I love Archers Farm salt and vinegar kettle chips. AF used to do a curry flavoured baked crisp...but they've discontinued it....twas very good too!
There's also a sweet chili flavoured rice crisp (triangular in shape) but I can't remember who makes them...they're my fave at the moment :)

another bloody yank Aug 10th 2010 9:56 pm

I like the dill pickle ones. And Sterzings, but you can only get them in Iowa.

another bloody yank Aug 10th 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8767517)
I like the dill pickle ones. And Sterzings, but you can only get them in Iowa.

And the original flavor Pringles.

meauxna Aug 10th 2010 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8767514)
There's also a sweet chili flavoured rice crisp (triangular in shape) but I can't remember who makes them...they're my fave at the moment :)

http://www.riceworkssnacks.com/flavors_USA.html

!!! And omg, if you can get them at Costco, they're a screamin' deal.
I love those things.

traceym Aug 10th 2010 10:38 pm

Whole foods 365 salt and vinegar :thumbsup: They taste like walkers salt and vinegar used to before big brother made everything good or you and took the flavor away.

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8767588)
Whole foods 365 salt and vinegar :thumbsup: They taste like walkers salt and vinegar used to before big brother made everything good or you and took the flavor away.

Good point, Walkers don't taste like they used to.

traceym Aug 10th 2010 10:43 pm

These make your tongue tingle plastered in vinegar, yummy, I go there once a week just for the crisps (cant afford anything else!)

Englishtart Aug 10th 2010 10:45 pm

I quite like the Kettle chips too, salt and black pepper are a fave;)

Lately, I have found these dried snap pea snax, some japanese company makes them, they are yummy!

N1cky Aug 10th 2010 11:02 pm

I'm yet to find an American take on Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8767646)

Hard to believe they put a man on the Moon.

N1cky Aug 10th 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8767650)

I know, talk about getting your priorites sorted out:rolleyes:

AmerLisa Aug 10th 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8767650)

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8767653)
I know, talk about getting your priorites sorted out:rolleyes:

Honestly, you two......:p:D

Burn1911 Aug 11th 2010 12:04 am

My current favorites are the Hawaiin Sweet Maui Onion potato chips... also "Bugles" are YUMMY!!!

I would like to say I don't eat as many as I used to - but I'd be lying!! ;)

Mummy in the foothills Aug 11th 2010 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Burn1911 (Post 8767763)
My current favorites are the Hawaiin Sweet Maui Onion potato chips... also "Bugles" are YUMMY!!!

I'll agree on the sweet maui onion, but they stick with you for days :lol: Bugles, no way!

meauxna Aug 11th 2010 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Burn1911 (Post 8767763)

Oh dear.. Bugles are a childhood crave of mine.. I don't even dare buy them now!
Anything that leaves that much grease on the fingers.. but oh, yum!
(Fritos and those crispy cheese stick thingies fall under the same fule. And Doritos, sigh.)

Bob Aug 11th 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8767507)

I found some cheese puffs which taste similar to the Marks and Spencer 'Cheese Tasters' :tounge_smile: they were called something like Teddy Bear.

Our little one likes the Trader Joes, a knock off to the Pirate Bootie...which ain't to bad either...

Bob Aug 11th 2010 12:39 am

Able to get packets of those at the Brit store on our way up to Maine...unfortunately our little one likes them as much as me, so errr...I eat them when she's napping :lol:

MsElui Aug 11th 2010 3:31 am

Im addicted to the new schneiders naturals stuff. Its made by the same people that make the pretzels, and its discs or tubes of potato. cant leave the damn things alone!

helwardman Aug 11th 2010 12:54 pm

Zapps are the best crisps/chips I've ever had. Just slightly better than Kettle Chips.
I'm not a fan of their Cajun Crawtator flavour, but the Tabasco ones are excellent. :thumbup:

Englishtart Aug 11th 2010 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 8769084)
Zapps are the best crisps/chips I've ever had. Just slightly better than Kettle Chips.
I'm not a fan of their Cajun Crawtator flavour, but the Tabasco ones are excellent. :thumbup:

:confused::blink:

SDDep Aug 11th 2010 2:20 pm

Crunchy Cheetos...speaking of that...they are having a contest between the Crunchy Cheetos and Cheetos "puffs" (childish snicker)...

If they ever offer Cheetos "pickled onion flavor monster munch" they can have my vote...:D

helwardman Aug 11th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8769260)
:confused::blink:

Zapps Cajun Crawtator = spicy seafood flavour. ;)

Bill_S Aug 11th 2010 3:15 pm

Crisps are bad for you. Give me carrots and celery any day.
:angel_smile:

chartreuse Aug 11th 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8767491)
Just tried the Target own brand Archers Farms jobby, the crinkle cut General Tso flavour and they tasted just like Walkers roast chicken...weird, but quite good :D

That's really handy info, Bob. I'll have to give them a try.

I don't mind the Lays Chile Limon flavour.

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8767835)
Able to get packets of those at the Brit store on our way up to Maine...unfortunately our little one likes them as much as me, so errr...I eat them when she's napping :lol:

I can get them at the local brit store too. Might nip up at lunch and get a bag and a bottle of Irn Bru

My absolute favorite are Walkers Worcester Sauce, which I haven't been able to get, anyone found anything similar?

HoosierDaddy Aug 11th 2010 5:24 pm

Those Lay's 'Garden Tomato & Basil' aren't a kick in the ar$e off the tomato ketchup ones from back home. :thumbup:

chartreuse Aug 11th 2010 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8769760)
Those Lay's 'Garden Tomato & Basil' aren't a kick in the ar$e off the tomato ketchup ones from back home. :thumbup:

I think Lays have started doing an actual Heinz Tomato Ketchup one. Somebody has, anyway, 'cos I saw some the other day.

meauxna Aug 11th 2010 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8769452)
That's really handy info, Bob. I'll have to give them a try.

I don't mind the Lays Chile Limon flavour.

Chile Limon *anything*. mmmmmm
Kettle makes a nice white corn chip w/chile limon.

And you can always bring me some Hot Nuts; can't get enough of those.

I thought the first part of your reply was to Bill for his heathenish suggestion about some carrot thingie.

Sally Redux Aug 11th 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8769824)

Indeed! :lol:

chartreuse Aug 11th 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8769824)
Chile Limon *anything*. mmmmmm
Kettle makes a nice white corn chip w/chile limon.

I thought the first part of your reply was to Bill for his heathenish suggestion about some carrot thingie.

:lol: Nah, the only good vegetable crisps are beetroot.

But, why are Beer Nuts not nuts, over here?

Englishtart Aug 11th 2010 6:07 pm

Something I had been wanting to try since we moved here was 'boiled peanuts' they are sold everywhere, even on the side of the road on carts. I bought some last weekend...YUCK!!!! it's like eating fishy tasting slime:frown:

The fried ones are pretty good though;)

Bill_S Aug 11th 2010 6:43 pm

Countdown to a diet thread... 3 - 2 - 1 ...

Back on topic - in the 70s, Hostess came out with fruit-flavored chips (crisps) in Canada. Orange, cherry, and grape. They only lasted a few months on the market due to their unparalleled vileness. There are mentions of them on the web, but I haven't found any pictures.

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8769909)
Something I had been wanting to try since we moved here was 'boiled peanuts' they are sold everywhere, even on the side of the road on carts. I bought some last weekend...YUCK!!!! it's like eating fishy tasting slime:frown:

The fried ones are pretty good though;)

Bit controversial this one:unsure: but

Whats with the popcorn out here, its really disgusting, and adding butter to it just makes it worse:(

meauxna Aug 11th 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8769851)
But, why are Beer Nuts not nuts, over here?

But they are! :confused: My dad used to eat those when I was a kidlet.. mmmmm. Peanuts covered in.. who the hell knows (and don't tell me!)

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8770112)

Whats with the popcorn out here, its really disgusting, and adding butter to it just makes it worse:(

omg, here we go... Go on, enlighten us Cretans.. what could be wrong with the popcorn (which is surely a new world food?).
Maybe it's the water you're drinking with it? :p

ChocolateBabz Aug 11th 2010 7:31 pm

Had the Pringles Tomato Ketchup - not a patch on Walkers Tomato Ketchup I'm afraid - not nearly enough flavour.

Have a thing for popchips - original or salt and vinegar - don't write them off cos they look like flat rice cakes - they are really good and crispy.

Not that I am eating any crisps at the moment - am on the 'OMG a stone and a half in 2 years diet' !!!!!

Englishtart Aug 11th 2010 7:38 pm

I don't eat popcorn...I heard it was healthy;)

N1cky Aug 11th 2010 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8770125)
But they are! :confused: My dad used to eat those when I was a kidlet.. mmmmm. Peanuts covered in.. who the hell knows (and don't tell me!)

omg, here we go... Go on, enlighten us Cretans.. what could be wrong with the popcorn (which is surely a new world food?).
Maybe it's the water you're drinking with it? :p

If you have it on its own it tastes like cardboard, and if you add butter it tastes revolting. We have toffee coated in the UK, its yummy. When you buy it in the UK you are given a choice of sweet or salty. The first time I went to the cinema out here the guy looked at me like an alien when I asked form sweet popcorn.

I buy some toffee and nutty stuff from F&E to take to the cinema with me.

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8770169)
I don't eat popcorn...I heard it was healthy;)

Not the kind I have:lol:

Burn1911 Aug 11th 2010 7:53 pm

:confused: its the same isn't it. I just ask for no butter!!..... :confused: