British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Criminal record checks in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/criminal-record-checks-us-358554/)

Elvira Mar 2nd 2006 3:48 am

Criminal record checks in US

Okay, you are probably all in the usual evening pi$$-taking mood, but can I ask a serious question?

My son has an interview at a UK med school next week, and he has to fill in form authorizing a police check to be made (re having access to children).

As he has been in the US for the past 5 years, a UK check won't be of much use, but I suspect the uni wouldn't know how to go about requesting this kind of check here.

Any ideas how this is done here in California?

Thanks! :)

BigDavyG Mar 2nd 2006 3:51 am

Re: Criminal record checks in US

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, you are probably all in the usual evening pi$$-taking mood, but can I ask a serious question?

My son has an interview at a UK med school next week, and he has to fill in form authorizing a police check to be made (re having access to children).

As he has been in the US for the past 5 years, a UK check won't be of much use, but I suspect the uni wouldn't know how to go about requesting this kind of check here.

Any ideas how this is done here in California?

Thanks! :)

Can't he get a police report from the local nick ??

By the way, will he be classed as an overseas student at uni - if so i hope you have at least 2 jobs :scared:

Elvira Mar 2nd 2006 3:56 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Can't he get a police report from the local nick ??

I don't know... Do you? ;)

:beer:

Ray Mar 2nd 2006 4:04 am

Up to the school I expect
Most likely NIS will ask NCIC
and for fingerprints NAFIS wil ask AFIS

Elvira Mar 2nd 2006 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Up to the school I expect
Most likely NIS will ask NCIC
and for fingerprints NAFIS wil ask AFIS

But I would like to make it easy for the school. You know, clear a potential obstacle to his acceptance.

Et une autre question, cher Monsieur: parlez-vous anglais - parce que je ne comprends pas vos acronyms etranges... :rolleyes:

Ray Mar 2nd 2006 4:16 am

But I would like to make it easy for the school. You know, clear a potential obstacle to his acceptance.

Et une autre question, cher Monsieur: parlez-vous anglais - parce que je ne comprends pas vos acronyms etranges... :rolleyes:

They will have there own method if need be ...They may be suspicious of
you giving something they have not asked for ...

Google est vous ami

Elvira Mar 2nd 2006 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Ray
They will have there own method if need be ...They may be suspicious of
you giving something they have not asked for ...

Google est vous ami

Ah - vous avez besoin des leçons françaises... :D

Ray Mar 2nd 2006 4:22 am

Your not kidding there ........

dbj1000 Mar 2nd 2006 4:32 am

I thought that offering sexual services was against board rules!?

:D

AdobePinon Mar 2nd 2006 4:38 am

I'd say let the school worry about it. His UK police report will come up all nice and shiny, and chances are that'll be good enough. If they want to make more work for themselves at that point, let them.

BTW, I think BigDavyG is right about the 'foreign tuition'. :eek: Probably still cheaper than US medical school though. :rolleyes:

AdobePinon Mar 2nd 2006 4:39 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I thought that offering sexual services was against board rules!?

:D

Only when performed in English.

Bob Mar 2nd 2006 4:49 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
BTW, I think BigDavyG is right about the 'foreign tuition'. :eek: Probably still cheaper than US medical school though. :rolleyes:

I don't know...probably around £20-25K a year at least, so not bad if they did...

Rushman Mar 2nd 2006 4:58 am

rest assured you can still get a visa with a criminal record showing on the Uk police check they do. I'm living proof.

Bob Mar 2nd 2006 5:00 am

Originally Posted by rushman
rest assured you can still get a visa with a criminal record showing on the Uk police check they do. I'm living proof.

he don't need a visa...but if he has a record, won't look good for uni, and might rule out kiddie work.. :D

Rushman Mar 2nd 2006 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Bob
he don't need a visa...but if he has a record, won't look good for uni, and might rule out kiddie work.. :D

Ahh shame, wont be able to go to "Uni", poor little thing will have to make it on his own then in the """REAL WORLD!!!!!!!""""