Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is crime in florida, really that bad?

is crime in florida, really that bad?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:42 pm
Banned

igotheesta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is crime in florida, really that bad?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your posts are starting to border on the offensive as well as the naive now.
Please exercise some restraint.

Also, consider some links to back up your 'facts'.
In closing. 60k Irish illegals in the U.S all in construction and service industry sectors mainly. 4 million people in Ireland no figures for total irish illegals since the start of the VWP, you would need a freedom request for that. That 60k is about 1.5% of the irish population illegal in the U.S. Total figures would probably push that to 5-6% if you did a freedom.

http://www.canadaupdates.com/content...k-visa-options

Maybe I should the question why they don't pursue in large numbers like we do? I can't find figures for Brits illegal in the U.S It is not 5 or 6% of our population I don't think it is even 60k Brits. The Brits have a lot stronger inkling to obey immigration law going illegal seems to be a stretch too far for us. I doubt many of those would be illegal if the E2 did not exist they would just say is America is probably beyond of reach look Down Under instead. I can't tell you why the Irish seem to disregard immigration law in large numbers. Based on what Ian said their continued presence is probably down the Irish American lobbies and campagin donaters as well. But it smacks of double standards when looking at other countries like Argentina and Poland
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igotheesta
The Brits have a lot stronger inkling to obey immigration law going illegal seems to be a stretch too far for us.
You really are naive! You're trying to draw a comparison between Brits and the Irish... as though it mattered one bit to the US government!

I can't tell you why the Irish seem to disregard immigration law in large numbers.
For the same reason the Brits do. You focus on the Irish because you want to... not because they are more likely to disregard immigration law than the rest of the UK. It's called "selective focus" and is yet another example of those stupid fallacies that permeates your comments.

Based on what Ian said their continued presence is probably down the Irish American lobbies and campagin donaters as well.
Please don't try to draw an idiotic conclusion based on anything I've said as support. I never said any such thing... and trying to make it seem as though I did is both disrespectful and offensive. Stupid git!

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You really are naive! You're trying to draw a comparison between Brits and the Irish... as though it mattered one bit to the US government!

For the same reason the Brits do. You focus on the Irish because you want to... not because they are more likely to disregard immigration law than the rest of the UK. It's called "selective focus" and is yet another example of those stupid fallacies that permeates your comments.

Please don't try to draw an idiotic conclusion based on anything I've said as support. I never said any such thing... and trying to make it seem as though I did is both disrespectful and offensive. Stupid git!

Ian
I merely asked why you Ireland remains when Argentina was removed from and Poland will never enjoy VWP because of what you said about crackdowns on mass illegal immigration being the reason that country go on and off? Those figures are probably accurate 200-250k irish who are or have been illegal in the U.S some point. Like I said that looks like about 5% of the total Irish population? So Ian what is keeping Ireland on the Visa Waiver Program if not the Irish lobbies and the mass amounts of Irish American voters and those who would contribute to election campagins? Why has the U.S Government done it to Argentina but not Ireland then? You can't give me an answer can you?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You can't give me an answer can you?
I still haven't seen you source and post the documents that explain how countries are selected and retained for participation in the VWP. Maybe if you start with some of the same background information that seasoned posters have, you can ask in a friendlier way?

I'm not saying there is no political influence in the choice, but I don't think you have all the information you could have.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:55 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

Just to help the debate:

See Part (c)
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...7----000-.html

Five areas for a country to initially qualify for VWP:
1. Low nonimmigrant visa refusal rate
2.Machine readable passport program
3. Law enforcement and security interests
4. Reporting lost and stolen passports
5. Repatriation of aliens
6. Passenger information exchange

For continued membership of VWP:

Continuing qualification
In the case of a country which was a program country in the previous fiscal year, a country may not be designated as a program country unless the sum of—
(i) the total of the number of nationals of that country who were denied admission at the time of arrival or withdrew their application for admission during such previous fiscal year as a nonimmigrant visitor, and
(ii) the total number of nationals of that country who were admitted as nonimmigrant visitors during such previous fiscal year and who violated the terms of such admission,
was less than 2 percent of the total number of nationals of that country who applied for admission as nonimmigrant visitors during such previous fiscal year.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: I haven't been shot this week, but there's always the weekend.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:39 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Over to you, Chartreuse...
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BMP

Hope this helps
haha! You're enabling.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:19 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but how many people have you shot before they had the chance?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:23 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

i prefer the word "clarifying"....

enabling suggests i have an opinion - and i know only moderators or extremists are allowed those
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Yes, but how many people have you shot before they had the chance?
You know us Floridians too well...
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:56 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Over to you, Chartreuse...
I was going to say, anotherlimey has it covered, but...

You know us Floridians too well...
The correct answer would have been "All of them".
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
I still haven't seen you source and post the documents that explain how countries are selected and retained for participation in the VWP. Maybe if you start with some of the same background information that seasoned posters have, you can ask in a friendlier way?

I'm not saying there is no political influence in the choice, but I don't think you have all the information you could have.
There is no real information though is there?. I am basing my query on Ireland based upon what Ian said about Argentina and removal for the mass amounts of illegal immigration. I am basing my chat on Ireland based upon that he knows what is talking about. The link I posted 60k irish is all I have. I don't know if that is over all time or current people in the U.S. To get accurate figures for illegal immigration would take a Freedom of Information with Homeland Security or Irish Embassy and I am not wiling to pursue that just to have a further discussion on whatever issues are being discussed it would be a bit of financial cost I imagine. Besides I am not USC I probably couldn't pursue a foir.

Last edited by igotheesta; Sep 10th 2010 at 2:43 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BMP
Just to help the debate:

See Part (c)
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...7----000-.html

Five areas for a country to initially qualify for VWP:
1. Low nonimmigrant visa refusal rate
2.Machine readable passport program
3. Law enforcement and security interests
4. Reporting lost and stolen passports
5. Repatriation of aliens
6. Passenger information exchange

For continued membership of VWP:

Continuing qualification
In the case of a country which was a program country in the previous fiscal year, a country may not be designated as a program country unless the sum of—
(i) the total of the number of nationals of that country who were denied admission at the time of arrival or withdrew their application for admission during such previous fiscal year as a nonimmigrant visitor, and
(ii) the total number of nationals of that country who were admitted as nonimmigrant visitors during such previous fiscal year and who violated the terms of such admission,
was less than 2 percent of the total number of nationals of that country who applied for admission as nonimmigrant visitors during such previous fiscal year.

Hope this helps
I am laughing at the first line. Aren't the B2 refusal rates like 25% for Ireland and similar for UK for that matter . I read on travel state website it something close to 25%

What do you mean by repatration of aliens? I don't understand what that means

Last edited by igotheesta; Sep 10th 2010 at 2:45 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by repatration of aliens? I don't understand what that means
You have a computer. I assume you can access Google. If you don't understand something... look it up! We're not here to spoonfeed you.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.