Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is crime in florida, really that bad?

is crime in florida, really that bad?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Default Re: is crime in florida, really that bad?

No idea about Florida, but it's pretty bad where I live. Buffalo, NY.

Shootings happen on an almost daily basis.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: is crime in florida, really that bad?

There are many factors to consider here, but did you know that the British Consulate in Orlando is either number 1 or 2, year on year, for the number of arrests of British nationals out of all of the British diplomatic missions globally?

We cover all of Florida.

Dean
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So the British nationals are the ones responsible for the uptick in Florida's crime rate?
:P
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So the British nationals are the ones responsible for the uptick in Florida's crime rate?
:P
When I fly back to the US I'm in Manchester Airport early morning...you wouldn't believe the amount of people drinking alcohol at 7 am. They are usually getting on flights to Spain or Florida. There's a sub culture of Brits who have to get 'bladdered' to enjoy their holiday...this continues at their destination.

To nicky_b...from what I've seen in my 14 yrs living in the US is that crime is usually localised. Stay and live in 'good areas' and you see little crime. Unlike the UK where crime is throughout. IMO this is due to property taxes...live in a good area and you're paying top dollar for property taxes but there is a good police presence...paid in property tax dollars. I feel far safer in the areas I frequent in New Jersey than I do in Cheshire.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 1st 2010 at 1:01 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:38 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by British Consul
There are many factors to consider here, but did you know that the British Consulate in Orlando is either number 1 or 2, year on year, for the number of arrests of British nationals out of all of the British diplomatic missions globally?

We cover all of Florida.

Dean
Since it became as cheap to come here as it is to go to Benidorm and Ibiza etc IM not surprised :-)
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:28 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Given that Florida is about 15k square miles larger than the whole of England, it's unrealistic to ascertain whether crime is "bad" or "not so bad" there. It mostly depends on where in Florida, just like it depends on where in England, etc.

Your best bet is to narrow down your list of preferred cities/suburbs and look up their crime statistics individually.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

We cover all of Florida.

Dean
Originally Posted by callowman
Since it became as cheap to come here as it is to go to Benidorm and Ibiza etc IM not surprised :-)
LOL, beat me to it - Orlando is US version of the "Club Med" packages.....I imagine a lot of those arrests are boozed up, sunburned chavs (wearing the regulation football shirts and Capri pants) duking it out with each other!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

We cover all of Florida.

Dean

Did it break down the Scots:English ratio or is it all the same these days?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: is crime in florida, really that bad?

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Did it break down the Scots:English ratio or is it all the same these days?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

again, i think its not a wide scale problem in each state but confined to 'areas' within each state. I would also check out city data forum for a broader perspective on certain areas etc etc.
I think in the states, where the 'good mostly grade A schools' are, would normally be the areas to consider a move to
Although folks that already live in the states, will know this for sure
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicky_b
but with 2 children its not just ourselves to think of.
so why bother with the E2 then?

Love to hear from you.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:32 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
so why bother with the E2 then?

Love to hear from you.
yep i second that, E2 = not advisable with children. Go on a different visa or consider a move elsewhere.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:34 am
Banned

igotheesta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
LOL, beat me to it - Orlando is US version of the "Club Med" packages.....I imagine a lot of those arrests are boozed up, sunburned chavs (wearing the regulation football shirts and Capri pants) duking it out with each other!
I find that unlikely if English people were behaving like that in Orlando then it is highly likely we would have been booted off the Visa Waiver Program long ago. American authories wouldn't take a 10th of what they have taken off us in Greece and Ibiza and Spain and Portugal. I think we woud be done in the states if we did even a 10th of that stuff over there, We would be off the visa waiver program, probably stronger crackdowns on english teenagers and maybe no petty offence exemptions either? They would probably want drug and alochol testing on all brits or at least between the ages of 18 and 45 or 18 and 55 and you can't do that at an immigration checkpoint you would have to enforce visa applications to do that.

The majority of the arrests are probably around people living over there it is the largest english grouping in the states isn't it? that will account for the majority of the arrests, drunk driving and thefts domestic abuse?

Last edited by igotheesta; Sep 5th 2010 at 11:48 am.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igotheesta
I find that unlikely if English people were behaving like that in Orlando then it is highly likely we would have been booted off the Visa Waiver Program long ago.
What? Don't be ridiculous. Participation in the VWP has almost nothing to do with resultant behavior in the US... it has to do with general immigration patterns from the originating country.

Ian
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igotheesta
I find that unlikely if English people were behaving like that in Orlando then it is highly likely we would have been booted off the Visa Waiver Program long ago. American authories wouldn't take a 10th of what they have taken off us in Greece and Ibiza and Spain and Portugal. I think we woud be done in the states if we did even a 10th of that stuff over there, We would be off the visa waiver program, probably stronger crackdowns on english teenagers and maybe no petty offence exemptions either? They would probably want drug and alochol testing on all brits or at least between the ages of 18 and 45 or 18 and 55 and you can't do that at an immigration checkpoint you would have to enforce visa applications to do that.

The majority of the arrests are probably around people living over there it is the largest english grouping in the states isn't it? that will account for the majority of the arrests, drunk driving and thefts domestic abuse?
You dont live in florida do you ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.