Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cricket and EPL

Cricket and EPL

Old Jul 28th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cricket and EPL

Hi,

Apologies, as I know this has been posted previously. I thought I'd bring it up as the info I found via the search seemed a bit old, and I thought someone might have some new info.

EPL: who has the best coverage, Fox Soccer (which our area has), Direct TV, someone else? Anything in particular to look for to get max coverage?

Cricket: is it possible to get this via tv or radio at all?

I've been looking at sat radio, xm and sirrus and see that they have BBC World Service, but I'm not sure if they pick up any sport. I thought one of them had Radio 5 (and the Alan Green show) but now don't see it listed (not sure if that's because it's off season or not).

Any advice appreciated!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 7:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket and EPL

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Hi,

Apologies, as I know this has been posted previously. I thought I'd bring it up as the info I found via the search seemed a bit old, and I thought someone might have some new info.

EPL: who has the best coverage, Fox Soccer (which our area has), Direct TV, someone else? Anything in particular to look for to get max coverage?

I've been looking at sat radio, xm and sirrus and see that they have BBC World Service, but I'm not sure if they pick up any sport. I thought one of them had Radio 5 (and the Alan Green show) but now don't see it listed (not sure if that's because it's off season or not).

Any advice appreciated!

most cable/satellite companies show the Fox Soccer channel at a premium or with a bundle.

I think Directv also has Setanta sport channel which show's a fair bit of European sports.

As for cricket. I am thinking it is mainly Pay Per View. however I think you're best bet there would be to paint a wall and watch it dry as it's a lot cheaper and you get the same effect.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:14 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any advice appreciated!
SIRIUS Radio has EPL games when they're on and as Manc says, you'll get FSC on most of your "premiere" bundles.
Cricket is PPV but also has the dubious honour of having the loudest adverts/promos known to man. I think the company who produced them need their hearing aids tweaked up a few hundred decibels 'cos these feckers come blaring at you with "ODI" this and "Full Package" that.

Googly wrong 'uns the lot of them.....
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Our local cable has a package with FSC so we may go with that.

Is the cricket PPV available via cable tv, broadband/PC? (Sorry, am new to this). I've seen it on offer for dish but that's all so far.

Darling hubby isn't one to sit and watch it all day, but he likes to see a little of it...esp with the Ashes approaching again.

Last edited by jen_andreson; Jul 28th 2006 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:57 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
As for cricket. I am thinking it is mainly Pay Per View. however I think you're best bet there would be to paint a wall and watch it dry as it's a lot cheaper and you get the same effect.
Cheeky bugger.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Hi,

Any advice appreciated!
Oh another cricket person. I haven't watched it since high school when I used to watch it for obvious reasons *cough cough* , but the last few years have had a major yearning to watch it. Found out there is a cricket club an hr south of me and have been trying to persuade hubby to go down and play some with the boys.

Hope you find a channel for it
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

cricket, best bet would be some torrent site for them after the fact, and catch the scores online...
Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cricket, best bet would be some torrent site for them after the fact, and catch the scores online...
Amazingly you can still get test match special streamed online - the bbc don't restrict it outside the UK for 'contractual reasons' ie they are tight and want to save on bandwidth - they even blocked the Open golf last week - tossers.

PPV is your best bet for cricket. Think setanta might have the ashes.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Fruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Cricket and EPL

Get DirecTV - http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=1100071. You get Fox Soccer, Gol TV and then pay a bit extra for Setanta (about $12 per month I think) - I get all the football I could ever want and then some.

Setanta has MUTV and Gol TV now have Liverpool and Arsenal TV too.

DirecTV also do cricket. I bought the last Ashes series for about $200 I think...abit pricey, but you can't really put a price on spanking the Aussies can you?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruit & Veg
but you can't really put a price on spanking the Aussies can you?
it is free if you're a stingray I've heard.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruit & Veg
Get DirecTV - http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=1100071. You get Fox Soccer, Gol TV and then pay a bit extra for Setanta (about $12 per month I think) - I get all the football I could ever want and then some.
I second that. Last night I was torn between watching Germany maul San Marino on FSC or N. Ireland beat Spain on Setanta In the end I tivo'd one and watched the other.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I second that. Last night I was torn between watching Germany maul San Marino on FSC or N. Ireland beat Spain on Setanta In the end I tivo'd one and watched the other.
Thanks so much for the advice. We have FSC now and get 'some' coverage but we then learnt that Setanta has the rights to most games. Our local pub charges a $20 per person cover on game days! Apparently they have to, and the money goes directly to Setanta.

We'd much rather put the $40 toward direct tv! Will update my husband-thanks again for the clarification.