Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit, so fed up!!!

Credit, so fed up!!!

Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit, so fed up!!!

Originally Posted by lansbury
The only appeal I can see for a credit card over a debit card is airline mileage
IMO, free extended warranties on goods is a superb benefit (some CC not all)

Also having been a victim of fraud- I have to say Amex were superb in refunding me my money.

Last edited by cranston; Jul 26th 2010 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
If you get a cell phone contract, it can also help too.
No it doesn't. They don't report good payers, only those who pay late.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I have to ask, was it easier to start up a credit history when you were young and without a solid work history to fall back on? I doubt that it was.
Actually it's a piece of piss in the UK. Most banks give you a small credit limit when going to uni to get you started.

Also utilities report good paying customers as well as bad ones, so it is much easier to get a good bit of history.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Actually it's a piece of piss in the UK. Most banks give you a small credit limit when going to uni to get you started.
The credit card I got in the UK when I was 18 and just going off to university has the highest limit of any of the store/credit cards I have in the US and it hasn't had a limit increase in a decade.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

My husband transferred to the US in March on an L1 and we just walked into a HSBC and they fell over themselves to open him a bank account and give him a credit card! (I even got a cc on my husbands account before I even applied for my visa)

I asked how difficult it would be for me to obtain my own account and credit card if I came over and was not working at the time and as he said for premium banking it would be fine and I should just come back to him and he would set it up! Not sure if it was easier with HSBC as they are a global bank?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Irishmom, why don't you have a read through the topics in the wiki here for some inspiration: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics

If your husband has an H-1B, does that mean you have an H-4? You therefore have no SSN for yourself?

I think your spouse needs to be a bit more aggressive about shopping for a credit card. There are several other banks where he'd probably get a better result. You can then become an authorized user (although without your own SSN, you will not be building up a credit history of your own).
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Irishmom

I have to ask, was it easier to start up a credit history when you were young and without a solid work history to fall back on? I doubt that it was.

It is, unfortunately, the same now. You are in a new country which does not recognize your credit history from abroad. That is a pity because I'm sure that you worked hard to make it a good credit history by paying what you owed on time, etc.

Store credit cards, car loans (which should be easier to get because they have collateral to insure the loan) are easier to acquire.
It's a bit late once u r here. I did my homework well before I came and found out that Amex travels with you lol. But it is true. Once you have an Amex card in UK it is easy to transfer it to USA hence a start on your credit history
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Irishmom
Hi everyone, I am sorry that this is another credit thread, I have read through lots of them here and most of them say the same, like going and asking for a guaranteed credit card so my story goes from there:
We are here nearly 18months and have yet to get a credit card. My husband applied through Citibank as that is where his wages are paid and they got him basically jumping through hoops just to get one, at the end of it all we are still waiting on an answer from them. I applied for one at the Credit Union, it's basically a credit builder cc so it works like a guaranteed one but they have declined me on that saying temporary residence was counted against me (we are here on a H1B visa and in the process of obtaining a greencard through my husbands company) they also said because I have no credit history that was another reason I was declined. I just don't know what to do anymore, we have one store card and we have a lease out on a car (as they did an international credit check) so everywhere we go they tell us our credit history is too light, but how the hell are we meant to build credit if banks won't give us credit cards!!!!
I am so upset and totally fed up with this country at the moment, I feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall. We pay all our utilities on time and our rent and my husband has a great job, what can we do from here? Can anyone advise me please?
Thanks so much
Virgin Atlantic have an Amex card through Bank Of America that is actively targeted at expats without credit history - they use your salary and employment history instead. I was approved for one recently and have always been turned down for credit before now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link but I'm sure someone will delete it if not!

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...pats/index.jsp
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham
It's a bit late once u r here. I did my homework well before I came and found out that Amex travels with you lol. But it is true. Once you have an Amex card in UK it is easy to transfer it to USA hence a start on your credit history
Fantastic experience with AmEx global transfer team. I have been a long standing Amex member and they gave me a very handsome credit card limit no questions asked (checked my Australian history of course so A+ history there helps )

It's a fantastic way to start history (unsecured credit card in days of arrival in the States)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Irishmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies. I have read through them all. Just looked at the Virgin Atlantic Credit Card website and it looks really like a good option for us, thanks THFC1 I'll let you all know how I get on