Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit scoring

credit scoring

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default credit scoring

How do I ask American express to give me credit score to the credit reporting agency such as Equifax or transunion?
I have been using Amex for the past 4 months and always paid my balance before due date and I just found out they did not give me any credit score. When I applied for the card, I did not have my SSN yet. Could this be the reason?
Each time I apply for a store credit card , I always got rejected for lack of credit history.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit scoring

Originally Posted by abboy
How do I ask American express to give me credit score to the credit reporting agency such as Equifax or transunion?
I have been using Amex for the past 4 months and always paid my balance before due date and I just found out they did not give me any credit score. When I applied for the card, I did not have my SSN yet. Could this be the reason?
Each time I apply for a store credit card , I always got rejected for lack of credit history.
I may be mistaken but you can't ask any credit provider to inform any credit bureau about your credit worthiness. It's entirely up to the credit provider if they even do so in the first place.

Second, I've read that it can take at least six months before any credit related activity hits your credit report.

Have you read the credit FAQ at the top of this forum? You'll probably find it helpful.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to one copy of your credit report from each of the main 3 credit scoring companies every year at no charge. Try contacting Equifax yourself.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I believe your credit report is tied to your SSN, so if they don't have it they can't update your report.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I believe your credit report is tied to your SSN, so if they don't have it they can't update your report.
Do I need to send them a copy of my SSN card or just call them? Somebody suggested to my husband that I should send them a copy of my SSN card and address it to "whom it may concern to the credit department of the lender" I dont like the idea of giving a copy of my SSN card with my signature in it to just anyone in the lender credit department. Would that be enough to just advise them my SSN through phone?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:24 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You are entitled to one copy of your credit report from each of the main 3 credit scoring companies every year at no charge. Try contacting Equifax yourself.
or go to annualcreditreport.com to download it free (pay extra if you want the actual score).

You get to download 1 a year from each of the 3 main reporting agencies, so we're set up to do one of them every 4 months, so we at least keep a slightly closer track on the reports....still gives someone 4 months to have some fun at our expense, but at least its better than seeing them all at the same time then waiting a year till the next one..
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Do I need to send them a copy of my SSN card or just call them? Somebody suggested to my husband that I should send them a copy of my SSN card and address it to "whom it may concern to the credit department of the lender" I dont like the idea of giving a copy of my SSN card with my signature in it to just anyone in the lender credit department. Would that be enough to just advise them my SSN through phone?
You can probably give it over the phone..
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Have you read the credit FAQ at the top of this forum? You'll probably find it helpful.

NC Penguin[/QUOTE]

Where is the credit FAQ? Cant find it
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:42 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

STOP APPLYING for one!!! You lower your score every time you get rejected and when your score finally does register you will find it lower than you think! Go to http://www.myfico.com/ do what we did at the beginning and pay for it. You will get e-mails telling you when your score will go up or down so you can work out what you are doing wrong or right. Especially for newbies like me that can't get your head round these stupid scores!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:11 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking for myself, I don't find that 10% off of one purchase is enough reason to get a store card. Evil things.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
Where is the credit FAQ? Cant find it [/QUOTE]

It's the second Read Me stuck at the top of this forum. It contains various FAQs including one on credit in the US.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

BTW, is your American Express card a British issued one or one issued in the US? If it's the former, it'll mean diddly squat for your credit rating in the US. i.e. it doesn't count towards it.

PS: when you get your SSN, you give it to Amex (if it's a US issued card). Without it, they cannot even report your credit usage to the credit bureaux.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:07 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You need an SSN to get your Credit Report. Your credit report doesn't have your credit score, you have to go with one of the fee places to get that.
You only get a credit listing if you have a credit history. The classic path is to get a secured card to start, or get a co-signer with a credit history.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No...don't give a copy of your SS card to anyone.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The companies that use Credit scoring as part of their deal have to also provide data back to the agencies.

All however based on SSN, or ITIN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.