Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit scores

credit scores

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit scores

Originally Posted by E3only
No, unfortunately didnt have any sign on bonus...but I don;t see a reason why not. I mean, I applied for Costco Card BEFORE I called amex global transfer. So say I had applied for Gold card with bonus, it wud be declined and then I would have called and got it approved in principal (with the bonuses?)
Hmmm... just Googled the card and it doesn't look like there is any signup bonus at all (at least right now). I wonder what would have happened if you had gone for the Premier Rewards Gold card (which, slightly confusingly, is different to the bog standard Gold card btw)? The bonuses on Gold and Platinum can far outweigh the cash-back value of the Costco card when applied towards air travel, and as such could be ideal for the new immigrant if AMEX does allow the bonus in these type of circumstances.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I didn't know that - they are still badged as MBNA here in the UK
Probably kept the name over there because Bank of America has no meaning over there and probably wouldn't look as good.

They got bought out years ago and BoA shut down a bunch of the sites across Maine straight away...the big clue before it happened was how all the senior VP's were selling their country Maine estates, including a mountain resort for a massive losses before the deal went through
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rebs
We weren't able to do a transfer with a Virgin Amex card - it was administered by MBNA - my understanding is it has to be a straight American Express card.
i was happy until you posted that.im glad you did, it gives me time to sorce a new card.i'm still not happy with you tho
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hmmm... just Googled the card and it doesn't look like there is any signup bonus at all (at least right now). I wonder what would have happened if you had gone for the Premier Rewards Gold card (which, slightly confusingly, is different to the bog standard Gold card btw)? The bonuses on Gold and Platinum can far outweigh the cash-back value of the Costco card when applied towards air travel, and as such could be ideal for the new immigrant if AMEX does allow the bonus in these type of circumstances.
Hmm,

I am waiting to get a better offer. I remember one of my friends got a mail out and in that, they offered him 50K bonus points on Gold Card sign up (vs. the 15K advertised to the public). So I called Amex and said I would want to sign up with those perks. Of course they won't coz mail outs are personalized and I doubt I would get one given I am already amex card holder.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:28 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm,

I am waiting to get a better offer. I remember one of my friends got a mail out and in that, they offered him 50K bonus points on Gold Card sign up (vs. the 15K advertised to the public). So I called Amex and said I would want to sign up with those perks. Of course they won't coz mail outs are personalized and I doubt I would get one given I am already amex card holder.
The best recent offers are 75K for Gold and 100K for Platinum. These were targeted offers (but not to me). I applied for both (Gold in April, Platinum in June) using publicly available links for lower offers (25K Gold, 50K Platinum) and then messaged them once I had the cards asking if they would match the higher offer. They did so in both cases. At that point did another Gold for Mrs tonrob which was matched also. Haven't even started on the Gold and Plat business versions yet.

All in all 250K MR points transferred to British Airways under the current 50% bonus offer yielded 375K BAEC miles. Used in conjunction with the 241 voucher from the BA Chase card each year will mean returns to Europe in Club World for both of us for at least the next 4 years, or maybe a couple of first class tickets to (and around) Asia with Cathay.

Not bad for a few minutes' work!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

The best recent offers are 75K for Gold and 100K for Platinum. These were targeted offers (but not to me). I applied for both (Gold in April, Platinum in June) using publicly available links for lower offers (25K Gold, 50K Platinum) and then messaged them once I had the cards asking if they would match the higher offer. They did so in both cases. At that point did another Gold for Mrs tonrob which was matched also. Haven't even started on the Gold and Plat business versions yet.

All in all 250K MR points transferred to British Airways under the current 50% bonus offer yielded 375K BAEC miles. Used in conjunction with the 241 voucher from the BA Chase card each year will mean returns to Europe in Club World for both of us for at least the next 4 years, or maybe a couple of first class tickets to (and around) Asia with Cathay.

Not bad for a few minutes' work!
Stop it............................................

I called them asking if they can give me the same offer they declined. So may be I can sign up (given I am already a card holder, they won't do a hard enquiry credit check I am told) and then call to ask them to match?? What sort of language did you speak mate, may be I can use that.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:45 am
Septic Sprout

Stop it............................................

I called them asking if they can give me the same offer they declined. So may be I can sign up (given I am already a card holder, they won't do a hard enquiry credit check I am told) and then call to ask them to match?? What sort of language did you speak mate, may be I can use that.
What kind of AMEX card do you have right now? You won't be able to get another one that's the exact same kind but all other types are fair game. A new card app will cause a new credit pull. I usually apply for 2 or 3 cards on the same day (different banks) as they tend not to see each other's inquiries when they're assessing the application that way.

I followed advice from Flyertalk. My membership of that site has been highly profitable, having picked up close to 2 million airmiles/hotel points over the last 18 months - with only about 10% of that obtained through actually flying and staying in hotels.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

What kind of AMEX card do you have right now? You won't be able to get another one that's the exact same kind but all other types are fair game. A new card app will cause a new credit pull. I usually apply for 2 or 3 cards on the same day (different banks) as they tend not to see each other's inquiries when they're assessing the application that way.

I followed advice from Flyertalk. My membership of that site has been highly profitable, having picked up close to 2 million airmiles/hotel points over the last 18 months - with only about 10% of that obtained through actually flying and staying in hotels.
I have the only one card, CostCo...but I had called to ask if I could apply for Gold Card and if a hard check would be done....the rep said only a soft check to the credit report which is good.

You have done well but I am looking to get a mortgage over the next 12-18 months so I am going to take it easy..although Amex card would not be an issue coz they dont do a hard check per the rep...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:16 pm
Septic Sprout

I have the only one card, CostCo...but I had called to ask if I could apply for Gold Card and if a hard check would be done....the rep said only a soft check to the credit report which is good.

You have done well but I am looking to get a mortgage over the next 12-18 months so I am going to take it easy..although Amex card would not be an issue coz they dont do a hard check per the rep...
In that case - and as it's important to you - you might want to do a 'best of three'. I'd include at least one secure message from their website (so you have something in writing). I've found AMEX customer service to be better than the other banks but, like the others, they're not always consistent with their answers.

P.S. make sure you apply for the correct version of the Gold Card (there are two personal ones - you want the one that gives Membership Rewards points - the other type does not). There is an annual fee of $175, waived for the first year, so would recommend ditching after 11 months or so.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

In that case - and as it's important to you - you might want to do a 'best of three'. I'd include at least one secure message from their website (so you have something in writing). I've found AMEX customer service to be better than the other banks but, like the others, they're not always consistent with their answers.
P.S. make sure you apply for the correct version of the Gold Card (there are two personal ones - you want the one that gives Membership Rewards points - the other type does not). There is an annual fee of $175, waived for the first year, so would recommend ditching after 11 months or so.
You lost me...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:19 am
Septic Sprout

You lost me...
AMEX employees give out wrong information sometimes. I'm suggesting you ask the same question about credit enquiries two more times to see if you get the same answer. Make one phone call but make the other one a "secure message" - this is a function on the website available when you log into your account.

I am suggesting this as (a) I am sceptical about what they have told you and (b) in your circumstances, it is important that you get the correct answer.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AMEX employees give out wrong information sometimes. I'm suggesting you ask the same question about credit enquiries two more times to see if you get the same answer. Make one phone call but make the other one a "secure message" - this is a function on the website available when you log into your account.

I am suggesting this as (a) I am sceptical about what they have told you and (b) in your circumstances, it is important that you get the correct answer.
Got it...thanks.