Reload this Page >

credit scores

credit scores

Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough
Default credit scores

hi all,

if i'm using an american express credit card in the uk will this help my credit score in the u.s when i finally relocate next year?
Or bank with citibank?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit scores

Originally Posted by tipex
hi all,

if i'm using an american express credit card in the uk will this help my credit score in the u.s when i finally relocate next year?
Or bank with citibank?
There have been reports of AMEX being willing to transfer over your record to the US, so that might help.

Whereas Citibank just hate you and want you dead.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
There have been reports of AMEX being willing to transfer over your record to the US, so that might help.

Whereas Citibank just hate you and want you dead.
ha ha citibank sounds about right .

sounds good about amex though
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha citibank sounds about right .

sounds good about amex though
http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for that thats great so that will be one less thing to worry about and get credit going.

many thanks
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... if they move your account to the US I'm assuming they will issue a new card - the US probably has a greater number of AMEX card types than the UK so I wonder if you get to choose? There are some insane sign-on bonuses for their US card products (especially, Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum, and also Starwood cards) so I wonder whether the savvy transferer can grab one of those?

(Example - recent Platinum sign-on bonus gave enough Membership Rewards points that, when converted to BA miles, would buy a first class return to Europe Zone 1 (on BA) or Asia (on Cathay), or take a family of 3 on a multi-stop tour of South America including Easter Island in coach).
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... if they move your account to the US I'm assuming they will issue a new card - the US probably has a greater number of AMEX card types than the UK so I wonder if you get to choose? There are some insane sign-on bonuses for their US card products (especially, Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum, and also Starwood cards) so I wonder whether the savvy transferer can grab one of those?

(Example - recent Platinum sign-on bonus gave enough Membership Rewards points that, when converted to BA miles, would buy a first class return to Europe Zone 1 (on BA) or Asia (on Cathay), or take a family of 3 on a multi-stop tour of South America including Easter Island in coach).
You can choose.

I applied for Costo Card, got declined called the global transfer team and they approved it.

Also, the great thing is - Amex carry forward the opening date of the card...so my card was open for 9 years in Australia and my US card on day one was reported as 9 years open!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:37 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by E3only
You can choose.

I applied for Costo Card, got declined called the global transfer team and they approved it.

Also, the great thing is - Amex carry forward the opening date of the card...so my card was open for 9 years in Australia and my US card on day one was reported as 9 years open!!
Was there any kind of new account bonus applicable to the Costco card and, if so, did you get it?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've had the account for more than 12 months transferring shouldn't be a problem, if it's just a bit less, it's luck of the draw if they will or not.

It's a good jump start on building credit history though.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've had the account for more than 12 months transferring shouldn't be a problem, if it's just a bit less, it's luck of the draw if they will or not.

It's a good jump start on building credit history though.
had the credit card a yearish now so yeh! happy days

needed to get some sort of reward so got virgin miles with amex
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

had the credit card a yearish now so yeh! happy days

needed to get some sort of reward so got virgin miles with amex
We weren't able to do a transfer with a Virgin Amex card - it was administered by MBNA - my understanding is it has to be a straight American Express card.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:49 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by rebs
We weren't able to do a transfer with a Virgin Amex card - it was administered by MBNA - my understanding is it has to be a straight American Express card.
Ah - yes - this might be the killer. Other banks do AMEX cards - you actually need one issued by AMEX themselves.

The US Virgin card is issued by AMEX but, to be fair, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is a crap programme at best, doubly so if you live in the US. The best AMEX cards to have are the ones I listed above - both for the actual value of the sign up deal and also the level of flexibility of transferring to a number of other useful programmes (often with lovely bonuses involved).
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Yeah, makes a difference...everyone else have separate entities in each country, so won't be able to do this unless it's a direct AmEx.

MBNA haven't existed for years now anyway and are BoA.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

MBNA haven't existed for years now anyway and are BoA.
I didn't know that - they are still badged as MBNA here in the UK
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Was there any kind of new account bonus applicable to the Costco card and, if so, did you get it?
No, unfortunately didnt have any sign on bonus...but I don;t see a reason why not. I mean, I applied for Costco Card BEFORE I called amex global transfer. So say I had applied for Gold card with bonus, it wud be declined and then I would have called and got it approved in principal (with the bonuses?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.