Credit Score and Salary check

Credit Score and Salary check

Old May 7th 2015, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Sinyor19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Score and Salary check

Hi,

2 quick questions:

1) Does my UK credit score have any influence once I move to the states? Will anyone check on it? I know I get a fresh start and have to build new credit but will my UK one be checked at all?

2) I have been researching, and it appears that for my role, salaries are higher in the NJ/NY area then they are in London. When I eventually start looking for a job, should I tell them my true London Salary? Anyone had experience with this? Do US employers check UK based salaries?

Thanks
Levy
Old May 7th 2015, 9:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Score and Salary check

1) No, there is no link between the two - and it won't be checked.

2) They'll offer you what they offer you, I'm sure. I don't think anyone is going to check your previous salary, since the rate for the job is the rate for the job. Ask for too much, and they won't hire you - simple.
Old May 7th 2015, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. In regards to point 2: I know very few check previous salary, it was more to see if they were less inclined to check UK ones, for whatever reason.
Old May 7th 2015, 10:23 am
Just Joined

rachel.m.hassall86 is an unknown quantity at this point

for point 2: for my new job they asked for my current salary (I live in Liverpool) and I did share to them, but made it clear the cost of living and cost structure of living is completely different. I sent it to them with my clear salary expectation for the role in the USA (San Francisco).

Using glassdoor website is a great start.

They ended up throwing out my current salary as an input as the cost structures are totally different!
Old May 7th 2015, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rachel.

Ye that makes sense, although im not sure every employer would be that understanding. I guess it really is a case by case basis and how you present your case for a higher salary. In my situation, the average salary for my role is double in the NJ/NY area, so im inclined to try and avoid telling them my salary and if I end up doing so, I will fight my corner.

Glassdoor is great. I always check up the salaries and reviews of potential employers before I commit to an interview.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I got sçrewed on point 2, and while I thought the pay I was offered in NY, back in 2001, was "fair", being approximately what my London salary was at the prevailing exchange rate, I later realised I was underpaid, and the money was not adequate to support a comparable standard of living to what we had had in London. ..... Be aware that your new employer might ask for, insist on, seeing your recent pay vouchers.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes thats what im concerned about. Im underpayed here in London (compared to NY). I have researched the role and the average national salary, so it would be silly of me to take less. However, this is almost double what im on now.. Tricky situation.
Old May 7th 2015, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They can ask, but you don't have to provide it. Just state that it is irrelevant but within line with the industry/demand that you are in and point out the expected levels that you would be happy with to work for them.

Salary.com is another option to compare with glassdoor, but i'm sure there are a few industry related sites too.
Old May 7th 2015, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
1) No, there is no link between the two - and it won't be checked.
While true, there have been occasions where people have printed off their UK report and presented it during mortgage/credit applications. It may then be taken into account at the discretion of the bank.