Reload this Page >

Credit Score

Credit Score

Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Ste1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Score

Hi

I'm moving to the USA next year and I'm at the start of the process now. Can you advise me if your credit score travels with you or do you have to start fresh in the USA? It seems from what I've read that it's not something which goes with you which is a shame because the one I have is quite healthy! If anyone has experience of this I would be appreciative of the information.

Regards

Ste
Old Nov 4th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Score

There are many threads on this on the forum. Basically no, it does not come over with you but some have had success by having a UK Amex card and moving it over to a US one.

Basically, having no credit record is worse than having a bad one. The best advice is to look for stores offering six or twelve months interest-free and, provided they report to the credit bureaux, it gets you a history. Pre-paid credit cards and store cards help, but the only sure-fire way of getting good credit is time.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 10:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your credit score does not, and cannot move with you, thanks to the Data Protection Act.

If you have an Amex card, and have had it for three months then Amex will give you a new Amex card in the US based on your prior relationship in the UK. You can finance a car through International Autosource if you have a job to come to, AND if you sign the purchase contract and pay a deposit before you arrive in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 4th 2016 at 10:06 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Secured card is also an option.

Several banks offer them. Put down deposit. Get card build credit once its good enough get a real card get deposit back.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Ste1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I thought that might be the case! It's frustrating but it's just another hurdle to jump, I'm sure I will be able to build well in time so I'm happy about that.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:46 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Go see Capital One for a secured card.

Cost you $100 for a card with a $200 credit limit, but if you pay all balances on time for 6 months, they'll up your limit.

I'm on a score of 600 after only 6 months and starting on zero, slowly getting there!
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Go see Capital One for a secured card.

Cost you $100 for a card with a $200 credit limit, but if you pay all balances on time for 6 months, they'll up your limit.

I'm on a score of 600 after only 6 months and starting on zero, slowly getting there!
That's an "if all especially fails" plan. The OP isn't coming to the US until next year, so still has time to get a UK Amex card on his UK credit history, and then jump straight to a full US Amex card.