Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Score

Wikiposts

Credit Score

Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Credit Score

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You may have difficulties getting a mortgage with such a large number of cards.
Underwriters like to assume that you're making the minimum payment with all your cards maxed out before they start to calculate how much is left to pay your mortgage.
On the subject of mortage. How long does it take to get a decent credit history/score to be judged purely on your US credit histroy rather than having to involve old UK banks etc that I have seen others have to do (which sounds like a real pain)? Anybody manage to get a US Mortage recently with only a couple years worth of history?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcuz
On the subject of mortage. How long does it take to get a decent credit history/score to be judged purely on your US credit histroy rather than having to involve old UK banks etc that I have seen others have to do (which sounds like a real pain)? Anybody manage to get a US Mortage recently with only a couple years worth of history?
Couple of years and you'll start to see less rejections for lack of history. For a solid score, try a decade or more.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Couple of years and you'll start to see less rejections for lack of history. For a solid score, try a decade or more.
Wow a decade! Just for a record what is deemed a solid score?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow a decade! Just for a record what is deemed a solid score?
Whether the electric company wants a deposit or not? 600 or so will probably see you right.

Whether the bank will give you an unsecured loan or not? Try 800+.

If you've got the two year history (FHA might work with one), give a mortgage a go. Try to compensate for your lack of history with other stuff -- a large deposit (20%+) and 6 months of PITI reserves will work better than yearning for stuff you haven't got and can't get.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

...and 6 months of PITI reserves will work better than yearning for stuff you haven't got and can't get.
What's PITI?

Cheers

HTS
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
What's PITI?
Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My score was around 720 after a year of being on my wife's credit card and having a job. No loans or anything else to be scored on. Biggest dunk was still lack of history (it was apparently costing me about 20 points).
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
My score was around 720 after a year of being on my wife's credit card and having a job. No loans or anything else to be scored on. Biggest dunk was still lack of history (it was apparently costing me about 20 points).
Sounds about right - i am at 670 after 8 months of history (from being an authorized user on my husband's card, plus a couple of other cards i managed to open with 1 month history each). Husband's score is 800+ but still struggled to get finance for his truck due to lack of history, seems both are equally important.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Sounds about right - i am at 670 after 8 months of history (from being an authorized user on my husband's card, plus a couple of other cards i managed to open with 1 month history each). Husband's score is 800+ but still struggled to get finance for his truck due to lack of history, seems both are equally important.
Agreed, my score was 760 in 4 months of arriving here (Amex transfer). Auto loan was declined by credit union due to 'time since SSN was valid' i.e. 'length of the history/score'...
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
The score is pretty meaningless. It's the history that has most impact and whether you get that loan or not.

I think it's mostly stemming from when people could piggy back off of someone elses credit score to build their own up. Part of the problem with those companies selling a piggy back service with people that did have good credit.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

It took me 3.5 years to get a mortage. I built up my credit from nothing here. It is easily done.

As for a mortgage as a previous poster said check out a FHA mortage or if you live in a rural area check out a USDA mortgage (rural housing).

I recently got a USDA mortage I was able to get a 100% mortgage and don't have to pay PMI every month. As the seller was ready to sell and move on to his next project he even paid our closing costs.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:02 am
Banned

britflorida is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a good video explaining credit score. You can see it on Youtube, search for "Understanding Your Credit Score - Bloomberg: Your Money".
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britflorida
I found a good video explaining credit score. You can see it on Youtube, search for "Understanding Your Credit Score - Bloomberg: Your Money".
Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxukiK101uM

Cheers

HTS
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

By way of contributing to this forum and thread, here is my timeline. FYI

Arrived here in June 2010.
Amex in Australia for years. US Amex approved by global transfer scheme no problems. Handsome limit
Rental lease signed with co sighner
Auto loan declined. Approved with co signer in sep 2010
Secured credit card approved in July 2010 for nominal amount
Did not do anything until June 2011.
Saved steady money in Wells and Chase
Strategically applied for capital one and chase cc cards on the same evening in June 2011. Both auto approved with 10k + limits

Just posting so you guys can get a feel. Plan to not do anything credit apps for 1 year and hope to get a mortgage. I want to wait up little as not sure where prices and economy is headed.

Credit score right now 760+
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to add (pardon me if this is not helpful)

Score dropped 30 points on applying for the 2 credit cards. I hope once the credit card is reported with the limits, my score eventually will go up.

CapitalOne, I had no association before this application. Interest rate recd. was not the best interest rate advertised. I go middle of the range of the interest rate.

Chase, I got best interest rate. I have a checking and savings (I have been saving, direct salary credit, over the last 11 months.

Cheers,