Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit score

credit score

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default credit score

I've done a "google search" without luck.
Anyone know where I can get A FREE credit check on my score/rating ?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:37 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit score

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I've done a "google search" without luck.
Anyone know where I can get A FREE credit check on my score/rating ?
www.freecreditreport.com
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Patrick
www.freecreditreport.com
You have to leave credit card details, and I don't trust any of these bastards
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
You have to leave credit card details, and I don't trust any of these bastards
Ellen used these guys last year before we moved back, they give you 30 days free, just make sure you call and cancel within the 30 days. They did not charge us anything because we cancelled within the first 30 days.

Patrick
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Ellen used these guys last year before we moved back, they give you 30 days free, just make sure you call and cancel within the 30 days. They did not charge us anything because we cancelled within the first 30 days.

Patrick
Is the credit report only available online?

I ask 'cos I purchased my US credit report from Equifax about this time last year via their site. I was hoping to get a hard copy version (mailed to me) but I ended up with an online version. The online version is not a true full credit report but a summary version.

I plan on purchasing (I don't trust the so-called free credit reports) my updated credit report from Equifax (at least one of the big four credit bureaux) in the near future. I will definitely be wanting a hard copy, mailed version this time.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually get free reporting when you go to activate a new bank or credit card. I currently have free membership to Privacy Guard and my wife uses Credit Inform, which was free but we pay $4.99 a month now. They both offer free, or $1 trials with credit reporting or you can just buy a report directly from Privacy Guard that can include all the credit agencies.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I think its well worth purchasing a credit report- I use Truecredit (cost $39) and get a 3-in-one credit report every 3 months (online access to it). In addition, I use their credit monitoring service ($10.95 every 3 months). I get a credit alert by email every week for this- which lets me know any changes that week to my credit report. Credit is so important in this country and ID fraud so prevalent now, that its madness really not to check it regularly. I found 3 errors on my credit report the first time I got one (which took weeks to get cleaned up). One of them was an address listed for me in Fort Lauderdale- never lived there!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
I think its well worth purchasing a credit report- I use Truecredit (cost $39) and get a 3-in-one credit report every 3 months (online access to it). In addition, I use their credit monitoring service ($10.95 every 3 months). I get a credit alert by email every week for this- which lets me know any changes that week to my credit report. Credit is so important in this country and ID fraud so prevalent now, that its madness really not to check it regularly. I found 3 errors on my credit report the first time I got one (which took weeks to get cleaned up). One of them was an address listed for me in Fort Lauderdale- never lived there!
Taffyles-

Please clarify the following (and I think your reply will be of interest to everyone):

since you get a copy of your credit report quarterly, does the fact you ask for your report appear retrospectively?

i.e. say you get a a report in January, then the next in March. Does the March report show that you (about whom the report is about) requested the credit report in January?

If this true, I think this looks poorly on your credit report.

I've read that the requestors of one's credit reports do appear on the credit report. In my case, I asked for auto insurance quotes from Geico. Once in Oct 02 and again in Nov 03. I obtained a copy of my credit report in Jan 03 and on it I saw a request from Geico for my credit report. After a minute, I realized the reason for them being noted on my credit report. It was the auto insurance quote I'd requested.

I personally think checking one's credit report once a year is sufficient. However, also keeping a close eye on destroying "pre approved" credit card junkmail and other sources of information that can be used to steal one's identity is also as important.

Don't give anyone the opportunity to "steal" your identity!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Taffyles-

Please clarify the following (and I think your reply will be of interest to everyone):

since you get a copy of your credit report quarterly, does the fact you ask for your report appear retrospectively?

i.e. say you get a a report in January, then the next in March. Does the March report show that you (about whom the report is about) requested the credit report in January?

If this true, I think this looks poorly on your credit report.

I've read that the requestors of one's credit reports do appear on the credit report. In my case, I asked for auto insurance quotes from Geico. Once in Oct 02 and again in Nov 03. I obtained a copy of my credit report in Jan 03 and on it I saw a request from Geico for my credit report. After a minute, I realized the reason for them being noted on my credit report. It was the auto insurance quote I'd requested.

I personally think checking one's credit report once a year is sufficient. However, also keeping a close eye on destroying "pre approved" credit card junkmail and other sources of information that can be used to steal one's identity is also as important.

Don't give anyone the opportunity to "steal" your identity!

NC Penguin
No it doesn't appear on, or affect your credit if you request your own credit report (neither do unsolicted credit checks either- the offers you get in the mail). The only time it shows up on your credit report is when you apply for credit, loan etc and then the creditor checks your report- this shows up and can adversly affect it if you have too many people checking your credit..... do not apply to all and sundry for credit cards etc as too many people checking your credit brings your score down.

I bought a paper shredder years ago- and shred everything, even my credit card statement. I only keep things that we need to keep- in a locked filing cabinet. And we've been the victim of ID theft 3 times in the last 5 years. Once someone used my credit card number to purchase goods online (in a store in California!) and one involved cashing cheques...actually it was very cleverly done and the police think it must have been an employee from our bank. Two cheques were cashed in Orlando- one was made out to me and one to my husband- both for amounts over $200. The person had signed our names and put our checking account numbers on the cheques to cash them. They signed them the American way though (full names signatures) and we have never signed that way, so our bank could see straight away when we reported it that we hadn't signed them. Apparently the police said- the cheques had come from a closed account (the guy had thrown his old check books out intact!). Anyway we were re-imbursed for all charges but it was a hell of a hassle and of course we had to close our account and opening a new one- pain in the butt.
Even taking all precautions- you can easily be a victim of ID fraud these days.

Last edited by Taffyles; Jan 9th 2004 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:28 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that you are entitled to a free credit report if you have been denied credit, or not given the best interest rate, if the decision was based in whole or in part on information contained in your credit report.

You can request it up to 90 days after being denied credit.