Reload this Page >

Credit references for a mortgage

Credit references for a mortgage

Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit references for a mortgage

Hi,

Has anyone had to get credit references for a mortgage application? We have had pre-approval from a bank but to complete the application they have asked for several credit references for me. We've lived here two years and my credit score only registers with one of the three main credit reference agencies, hence the need to provide alternative credit information.

I can ask the landlord and the utilities are all in my name, so I presume these will suffice. Do I approach these companies as ask for a credit reference? Will they know what to provide? Is it likely to take weeks??

I'll be asking the mortgage advisor for more information but would welcome any tips from anyone who has been through this.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit references for a mortgage

We bought our first house 15 months after we arrived/ returned (Mrs P is a US born USC). I was not asked for credit references, but the banks were a lot less cautious pre-2008.

The number of questions we were asked when we applied for a mortgage in 2012 was insane. Questions, questions, and more questions, then questions about our answers to the questions. .... We got through in the end though!
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Questions, questions, and more questions, then questions about our answers to the questions. .... We got through in the end though!
Yep, obtaining the credit references is the first requirement on a 2.5 page long list of requirements! Looks like the next few weeks/months are going to be busy...
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Ask them what will work...get a dialogue going with them.
we recently got a mortgage after being here only 5 months - as Pulaski says, an insane amount of checking which included stuff from our previous country (bank statements, mortgage payments) I think I am now cleared to work with the CIA and the FBI....
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do for my mortgage recently. I had over 2 years of credit history but only one credit card! so had to throw in a bunch of 'alternate sources of credit references'.

I used:

Rent - You don't have to ask your landlord for a reference - you can just log in to your online banking and get copies of the transactions. If you pay rent by check then you can export a pdf copy of each check which works as proof you paid on time.

Utilities - Same trick with the online banking - just send them the bills and get pdf copies of the transactions to show when they were paid.

Phone bill - Same as above

Cable bill - Same as above