Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Question (real quick)

Credit Question (real quick)

Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Credit Question (real quick)

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been done to death, but I just wanted to check something with you all really quick:

I wanted to apply for a secured credit card from my bank, Bank of America, but they said they can't give me one until I am a permenant resident?

I came here on a K1, and am now in the middle of AOS. I have a Social Security number. I also have a good amount of money in both checking and savings account with them.

Does this sound right to anyone, or is it just my bank? I would really like to start building credit now (and not wait the year or so it will take for my AOS to be completed).

Any advice?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:10 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Question (real quick)

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hi guys,

I know this has probably been done to death, but I just wanted to check something with you all really quick:

I wanted to apply for a secured credit card from my bank, Bank of America, but they said they can't give me one until I am a permenant resident?

I came here on a K1, and am now in the middle of AOS. I have a Social Security number. I also have a good amount of money in both checking and savings account with them.

Does this sound right to anyone, or is it just my bank? I would really like to start building credit now (and not wait the year or so it will take for my AOS to be completed).

Any advice?
The bank in question gave me an un-secured one when I opened an account with them. I had been in the US for 3 months at that time. Prior to this I got the wife to put me on all her accounts.

My credit was pulled yesterday at 689-707.

you'll find endless info here
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Any advice?
Try a different company. I didn't go the route of a secured card personally (lucky to have a USC girlfriend, now wife, that I was living with who had me named as a cardholder), but my own bank said some are more strict than others, and advised me to try somewhere like Chase, and that's where I got my own first card.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by evoal2003
The bank in question gave me an un-secured one when I opened an account with them. I had been in the US for 3 months at that time. Prior to this I got the wife to put me on all her accounts.

My credit was pulled yesterday at 689-707.

you'll find endless info here
How did you get credit so quickly? (I'll check the link, thank you).

Which accounts to you mean?

We have joint accounts with BOA which I opened when I arrived, and Harris Bank which she has had for about a million years. I am also officially on our apartment lease.

We have bills (like car loan, etc) - would you suggest being added to those?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Try a different company. I didn't go the route of a secured card personally (lucky to have a USC girlfriend, now wife, that I was living with who had me named as a cardholder), but my own bank said some are more strict than others, and advised me to try somewhere like Chase, and that's where I got my own first card.
Neil
I guess that I'm in a similar situation now to the one you were in when you first arrived. If I get my girlfriend to add me as a named card holder to one of her accounts will that improve my credit score, and if so how long before i can go it alone.

Cheers
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Any advice?
Why are you going down the secured credit card route when you have an American spouse? Does your spouse have good credit?

If so, you should become an additional user on her credit card(s). By doing so (if you've given your SSN too), you'll be piggybacking and gaining her credit history.

On the other hand, if your spouse has a bad credit history, you're doing the right thing by getting a secured credit card.

As for BoA's policy about Permanent Residents being eligible for secured credit cards, it's probably on their website. Have you checked? If that's true, just look at other secured credit card providers. There's been threads on this, I'm sure.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get credit so quickly? (I'll check the link, thank you).

Which accounts to you mean?

We have joint accounts with BOA which I opened when I arrived, and Harris Bank which she has had for about a million years. I am also officially on our apartment lease.

We have bills (like car loan, etc) - would you suggest being added to those?
Credit = loans and borrowing of some sort. Therefore, simply having a bank account is not going to impact on your credit history in anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Get on your wife's bank account and get a card with it, like the other guys told you.
Wait a little while and get some easy cards like Lowes, buy something and pay it off.
Get your name on some utility bills too - it won't do any harm.
After 3 years I'm 20 points behind my wife on the credit scores
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I appreciate all the advice, thank you.

I will try and do all of the recommendations.

Matt
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celsius
Why are you going down the secured credit card route when you have an American spouse? Does your spouse have good credit?

If so, you should become an additional user on her credit card(s). By doing so (if you've given your SSN too), you'll be piggybacking and gaining her credit history.

On the other hand, if your spouse has a bad credit history, you're doing the right thing by getting a secured credit card.

As for BoA's policy about Permanent Residents being eligible for secured credit cards, it's probably on their website. Have you checked? If that's true, just look at other secured credit card providers. There's been threads on this, I'm sure.
She doesn't have a credit card, just a debit linked to checking (we have been trying to avoid them) - but it might have to be something we look at now.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:40 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't have a credit card, just a debit linked to checking (we have been trying to avoid them) - but it might have to be something we look at now.
Tell her to get a few, then add you to them as joint. I got added to my now wifes discover, amex, sears card keep the balances low and your away.

alan
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Any advice?
BOA have 2 secured cards

1 - semi-secured ($100 in $500 to spend)
2 - fully secured ($500 in $500 to spend)

the semi is not given to those who don't have a green card
the fully secured is

getting on your spouses credit (and only your spouses credit) as an authorised user will do jack shit.

you need at LEAST ONE credit line in either your own name or jointly held (not an authorised user)
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hold off on BoA untill Jan2 because of the merger, basically a lot of policies are being changed, and most of them are utterly w@nk by the sound of things....plus BoA has a shite record for identity theft and even worse record for helping you out afterwards.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:31 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil
I am also trying to build credit. I am additional cardholder on my husband's rbs mastercard. However that doesn't get me any credit. They don't do joint accounts for credit cards. They also suggested Chase.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I am also trying to build credit. I am additional cardholder on my husband's rbs mastercard. However that doesn't get me any credit. They don't do joint accounts for credit cards. They also suggested Chase.
Not too encouraged by Chase so far... I can't find anything on their site about a Secured Credit Card. When I call the number, it connects me to somewhere in India where they immediately begin reading off a script (I hung up), and you can't send them an email unless you are a customer already (need account number).

I'll keep looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.