Reload this Page >

Credit File/Score for US

Credit File/Score for US

Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit File/Score for US

Hey,

In the US there are similar credit reporting agencies to the UK but how does it work for new arrivals to the US?

I'm assuming that when I get there I'll have to build a new credit score with banks and lenders etc before I can do things like lease a new car ??

Or does any of my UK credit score come with me?

Appreciate in advance any input.

Cheers, Tom
Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Credit File/Score for US

Doh apologies....found the wiki and this: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbri...it_and_Finance
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMOT View Post
Hey,

In the US there are similar credit reporting agencies to the UK but how does it work for new arrivals to the US?

I'm assuming that when I get there I'll have to build a new credit score with banks and lenders etc before I can do things like lease a new car ??

Or does any of my UK credit score come with me?

Appreciate in advance any input.

Cheers, Tom
leasing a car is money down the drain IMHO, If you can't get a bank loan right away then just pay cash for an old banger until you can get one.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just looking into HSBC premier as they'll sort all stuff out for me inc mortgage, credit card etc....

Looks like building a good US credit history is fasttracked by them setting you up and they will automatically transfer your internal HSBC rating to your new locality so sourcing new finance is easy.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMOT View Post
Just looking into HSBC premier as they'll sort all stuff out for me inc mortgage, credit card etc....

Looks like building a good US credit history is fasttracked by them setting you up and they will automatically transfer your internal HSBC rating to your new locality so sourcing new finance is easy.
Are you near HSBC banks/ATM's where you will be living? We looked into doing that but were nowhere near a HSBC bank or ATM. Plus for the Premier account we had nowhere near the amount of money they were talking about!

Last edited by SarahG; Oct 9th 2009 at 3:56 pm. Reason: missed a word!