Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit,credit crediT!!!

Credit,credit crediT!!!

Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

kitaromagali is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Credit,credit crediT!!!

Does anyone know how I can get credit(credit card) in the US. I've had a few rejections and I need it to live here
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:43 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Sears, Target, companies that offer secured/deposit credit cards.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit,credit crediT!!!

Originally posted by kitaromagali
Does anyone know how I can get credit(credit card) in the US. I've had a few rejections and I need it to live here
You don't have to have a credit card to make card purchases. You can use a check card that works exactly the same as a credit card, but only draws money from your bank account. There are no requirements for this: you just put money into your bank account and get your free check card.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A oft asked question, and there is no easy answer.

One you get settled, and utilities in your own name then you'll soon start to build a credit history, and then you can easily get credit cards.

In the short term get yourself one secured credit card, and use it cautiously - do NOT try to over-draw it. Also DO NOT keep applying for regular credit cards as the rejections show up on your credit history and make it even harder for you to be accepted for credit.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you know why you've been rejected for credit cards. It's because you have a poor credit card history.

The topic of how to establish a credit history in the US has been discussed many times on the forums. Please search in this forum.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Its taken just about 15months for me to be offered a credit card without being asked for a security deposit. I did apply for one when I'd been here a year and was told I didnt have enough credit history. Hang in there, once you start getting pre-approved or invitations from cc companies you'll be inundated.

Jan
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I need it to live here
The American way, lets all live in debt.

Lived here 3 years and don't owe anyone a bean apart from my house and car.

just get a debit card through your checking account.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Its taken just about 15months for me to be offered a credit card without being asked for a security deposit. I did apply for one when I'd been here a year and was told I didnt have enough credit history. Hang in there, once you start getting pre-approved or invitations from cc companies you'll be inundated.

Jan
May I ask how long you have been in employment? One major reason I was turned down for a credit card is that I didn't yet have a job.

Credit card providers are looking for people who are working and have been in (the same?) employment for a period of time (I don't know how long is long enough. It may depend on the cc provider).

Watch out for those "pre-approved" credit card offers in the mail. They're not really pre-approved because in order to really qualify, they'll check your credit history (you'll see that in the small print.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at the farm for 5 months, the first card I got thru didnt even want to know my employers name or household income and that was from National City Bank. And YES of course they check credit history (mine btw has been impeccable for the last 15 years +) I have a mortgage here and my name on some of our utility bills which also helps.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:22 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I suppose you know why you've been rejected for credit cards. It's because you have a poor credit card history.

NC Penguin

I think no credit history is his problem.

Time, time,time and time....

It took me about 12 months before I could get a US credit card. Now the buggers wont leave me alone, seems like everyday someone is trying to give me another card.
Beware of those cards that are offered to you with no credit history ect.
Some have very high interest rates plus lots of other scams like anual fees and other surcharges.
Have you tried a credit union? They can be more accomadating.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took out store cards first - right from the word go - surprised me that they accepted and approved 'cos I was on H4 - not working - hubby was the only one with job. He was turned down for some of the store cards whereas I was approved straight away.

For anyone reading this posting who has not yet left England, apply in the UK for an American Express Credit Card, it is the only one that is transferrable to the US once you have arrived. Hubby was told about that, did it and it worked. To be honest we didn't use credit much when we first arrived here, but were told it is handy to have at least one - sometimes people just want to run your card through as proof/collateral etc.

Once you are able to get a credit card - go for one that is attached to an airline - therefore giving you miles for every dollar you spend. We have a Bank One/British Airways Visa, use it for everything - usually pay it off monthly (must admit don't like running credit - very english of me) - but by using just the one card we accrue enough miles for at least one award trip home per year - just pay airport taxes for that one...

Joining in on this post from jolly old England - where it has just started pissing it down outside, mind you, first rain i've seen in 10 days here !!! Everyone keeps saying that I must be feeling the cold - nope - a blessed relief from the Texas summer....
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:08 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by excpomea
I think no credit history is his problem.

Time, time,time and time....

It took me about 12 months before I could get a US credit card. Now the buggers wont leave me alone, seems like everyday someone is trying to give me another card.
Beware of those cards that are offered to you with no credit history ect.
Some have very high interest rates plus lots of other scams like anual fees and other surcharges.
Have you tried a credit union? They can be more accomadating.
Beat me to it. You start of at zero credit history when you come here and have to build it up. I got a couple of small cards (good rates surprisingly) though and my credit is perfect, however they look at length of time as well and most big card companies don't wanna risk on someone new...even walmart cards are difficult to get.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:44 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Its taken just about 15months for me to be offered a credit card

15 months!!! They started throwing those "you have been specially pre-selected for a platinum card with a 50k credit limit" letters at us as we came off the plane!! Of course, when we applied, they came back and said "No way Jose". So much for preselection eh?

Fortunately we had some from my wifes previous banks, so we didn't need them. But having lived here a year, with no problems (no missed payments, cards paid off every month etc etc) I thought I'd apply for a couple and see what happened. I got one, and not the other. I was surprised to get the one, as I don't have a job (!) but they approved on the basis of combined household income. I managed to get Sears, Target etc from virtually day one, also without a job.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

With the target and Sears card I assume that these build up your credit history as well as any other card??

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smiler125
With the target and Sears card I assume that these build up your credit history as well as any other card??

Thanks
If you're going to take out a Sears/Target/any other store card - don't forget to check and see if you get discount with first purchase/use of card etc. That's the only reason we usually took out store cards when we first came over - had to buy costly things so took out card to get money off, e.g. Target gave 10 percent discount so used it to buy vacuum cleaner etc.

Another good one is Kohls (if you have one near you - they're great for clearance sales etc.) we got 15 percent off when we took out a card each - in fact rather than having two people on same card - take out a separate one each - twice the savings...

Make MVC status at Kohls - spend 600 a year and they send you lots of money off coupons in the mail - e.g. 15 percent off everything for the whole day.... Add it to money off sale day and it really saves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.