British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Credit check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/credit-check-830915/)

Markoncarp Apr 10th 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Credit check

We were in the same position and managed to get a rental place with two things. First, as already stated, a UK credit report. Secondly, I got a letter from my employer stating my starting date and my annual salary.

Both of these together meant we didnt have to chuck six months rent down. Mind you, we were expected to pay our first months rent, last months rent AND a security deposit of one months rent up front (which I think is pretty standard) so whatever happens you need to have three months available.

rpjs Apr 10th 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Markoncarp (Post 11213517)
We were in the same position and managed to get a rental place with two things. First, as already stated, a UK credit report. Secondly, I got a letter from my employer stating my starting date and my annual salary.

Both of these together meant we didnt have to chuck six months rent down. Mind you, we were expected to pay our first months rent, last months rent AND a security deposit of one months rent up front (which I think is pretty standard) so whatever happens you need to have three months available.

My wife and sister-in-law have both rented in Philly and the 1st month/last month/security deposit thing is absolutely standard there.

Bob Apr 10th 2014 9:58 pm

One problem you'll have is finding a rental for 6 months.

Most places want a one year lease, so anything less will be much more expensive.

You'll probably need first/last and anything from 1-3 months worth of rent as deposit. Possibly 1-3 months worth of rent as a realtor fee too. All this on signing the lease.

That's a big chunk of cash, but if you've flogged your house, should be doable.

But then you'd also need money on getting cars, deposits for most utilities for a lack of recent US credit history etc.

Ash14297 Apr 13th 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Clrsth (Post 11212233)
We are travelling out to Philadelphia on Saturday as my husband who has duel UK/USA nationality has been provisionally offered a job there.
Although we have a deposit for a house as we have already sold our house in the UK, we are planning to rent for 6 months whilst we find our feet. We have been told by Realtors that we will need a credit check - will a UK credit check suffice and how do I go about getting one? Would a company like Experian do?

Clare

UK credit means nothing over here... I have not found anyone willing to consider UK credit even though the same agencies are used! (Experian to name one). I can't even get an iPhone contract with T-Mobile/AT&T without paying a $500 deposit!