British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Credit check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/credit-check-830915/)

Clrsth Apr 9th 2014 10:35 pm

Credit check

We are travelling out to Philadelphia on Saturday as my husband who has duel UK/USA nationality has been provisionally offered a job there.
Although we have a deposit for a house as we have already sold our house in the UK, we are planning to rent for 6 months whilst we find our feet. We have been told by Realtors that we will need a credit check - will a UK credit check suffice and how do I go about getting one? Would a company like Experian do?

Clare

Hotscot Apr 9th 2014 10:41 pm

Re: Credit check

In what manner is the job offer provisional?

I don't think a UK credit check will suffice so they'll probably ask you for three or six months rent up front.

Philadelphia has a very high crime rate, especially gun crime.

Good luck.

lansbury Apr 9th 2014 10:42 pm

A UK credit check will not be accepted in the US. Unfortunately there is no way to transfer your credit history over to the US.

Trixie_b Apr 9th 2014 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Clrsth (Post 11212233)
We are travelling out to Philadelphia on Saturday as my husband who has duel UK/USA nationality has been provisionally offered a job there.
Although we have a deposit for a house as we have already sold our house in the UK, we are planning to rent for 6 months whilst we find our feet. We have been told by Realtors that we will need a credit check - will a UK credit check suffice and how do I go about getting one? Would a company like Experian do?

Clare

Just a quick question... I assume you have the correct paperwork to move to the US?

Clrsth Apr 9th 2014 10:45 pm

I mean, that although he has been offered a job via email, he has not signed a contract yet - this is to be done when we visit next week - believe me, I am making no firm plans until I have everything in writing!
The Realtor asked as to bring out a credit check, so she must know that it is not a US credit check - but thanks for the advice, as this is an academic relocation, we won't get a great relocation package so useful to know in case we can get some money upfront from the Uni to help towards rent if have to pay that much up front! We plan to rent in the suburbs, not in central Philadelphia.

Clrsth Apr 9th 2014 10:47 pm

No we don't, we are travelling to find out about moving, not actually moving. We'll sort out the paperwork when we get home. I'm presuming (and I could be completely wrong!) that as he is a US citizen with a SS number that the paperwork will be fairly straightforward. (or am i kidding myself?!)

lansbury Apr 9th 2014 10:50 pm

If the realtor has asked you to bring a copy of your UK credit history, than I would certainly do so. Get a copy from Experian as you suggest. If the realtor is acting as the landlords agent and is willing to accept it, all well and good. But it is unusual.

The paperwork for your visa is fairly straight forward. From start to finish it will take about 8 - 10 months for the whole process to complete and you to have your visa.

Trixie_b Apr 9th 2014 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Clrsth (Post 11212250)
No we don't, we are travelling to find out about moving, not actually moving. We'll sort out the paperwork when we get home. I'm presuming (and I could be completely wrong!) that as he is a US citizen with a SS number that the paperwork will be fairly straightforward. (or am i kidding myself?!)

He's got no problem, but you don't say what nationality you are..... so you may find the processing time dictates your time frame

RICH Apr 9th 2014 10:58 pm

Hubby is a USC - he will have a US credit history of some sort, if he has a SSN.

On it's own, a UK credit report won't mean much, but as a supplement, it can't hurt.

lansbury Apr 9th 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11212267)
Hubby is a USC - he will have a US credit history of some sort, if he has a SSN.

Depends how long it has been since he last lived in the US.

Noorah101 Apr 9th 2014 11:09 pm

I'm presuming (and I could be completely wrong!) that as he is a US citizen with a SS number that the paperwork will be fairly straightforward. (or am i kidding myself?!)

Your husband needs no immigration paperwork, because he is a USC. If you are not a USC, and your plan is to immigrate to the USA, you should start researching this now, so you can be prepared for what lies ahead for your Immigrant Visa process.

The best thing to do is have him file the I-130 directly to the USCIS field office in London, while he's still in the UK, before he moves to the USA to start working. That will make the visa process several months shorter (maybe only 4 - 6, as opposed to the typical 8 - 10 when the I-130 is filed in the USA).

For more information on your Immigrant Visa process, take a look at the BE Wike Guide article called "DCF Filing the I-130 in London", and also look in our US Marriage Based Visa forum.

Rene

Hotscot Apr 9th 2014 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Clrsth (Post 11212249)
believe me, I am making no firm plans until I have everything in writing!

Didn't you sell your house?

rpjs Apr 10th 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Clrsth (Post 11212249)
We plan to rent in the suburbs, not in central Philadelphia.

By no means all of central Philly is a war zone - some areas are pretty decent, e.g close to the UPenn campus, some parts of South Philly. And Center City is perfectly safe although it might be out of reach for an academic's salary.

Pulaski Apr 10th 2014 1:49 am

Does he have a US passport? .... Has he been filing his US tax return every year since he turned 18? .... Is he 26 or less? All these are important questions! :)

.... we have already sold our house in the UK, we are planning to rent for 6 months whilst we find our feet. .....

You do realise that you cannot live in/ relocate to the US until you have a visa, don't you? You can visit for short periods while your visa application is being processed, not exceeding 90 days, but you may have difficulty returning to the US soon after a stay of 60+ days. BTW You can't "leave the US" by going to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean.

Clrsth Apr 10th 2014 7:08 am

Not planning to move until all the paperwork / visas are processed. My dh is a USA citizen - he has dual UK / USA nationality, although has not lived in the USA until now. I am a UK citizen so wil need a marriage based visa - have been reading all the forums.

The fact that we've sold our house is incidental - where we live the housing market is very stagnant - so houses can take up to 2 years to sell, so we've sold to either move in the UK, or move to the states once visas etc have been sorted out. It just means once everything has been processed we're ready to go - we plan on renting on a short term lease in the UK until this point.

Thanks for all your advice - will get an Experian credit check sorted - can't hurt anyway.

Markoncarp Apr 10th 2014 6:58 pm

We were in the same position and managed to get a rental place with two things. First, as already stated, a UK credit report. Secondly, I got a letter from my employer stating my starting date and my annual salary.

Both of these together meant we didnt have to chuck six months rent down. Mind you, we were expected to pay our first months rent, last months rent AND a security deposit of one months rent up front (which I think is pretty standard) so whatever happens you need to have three months available.

rpjs Apr 10th 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Markoncarp (Post 11213517)
We were in the same position and managed to get a rental place with two things. First, as already stated, a UK credit report. Secondly, I got a letter from my employer stating my starting date and my annual salary.

Both of these together meant we didnt have to chuck six months rent down. Mind you, we were expected to pay our first months rent, last months rent AND a security deposit of one months rent up front (which I think is pretty standard) so whatever happens you need to have three months available.

My wife and sister-in-law have both rented in Philly and the 1st month/last month/security deposit thing is absolutely standard there.

Bob Apr 10th 2014 9:58 pm

One problem you'll have is finding a rental for 6 months.

Most places want a one year lease, so anything less will be much more expensive.

You'll probably need first/last and anything from 1-3 months worth of rent as deposit. Possibly 1-3 months worth of rent as a realtor fee too. All this on signing the lease.

That's a big chunk of cash, but if you've flogged your house, should be doable.

But then you'd also need money on getting cars, deposits for most utilities for a lack of recent US credit history etc.

Ash14297 Apr 13th 2014 5:31 pm

Clare

UK credit means nothing over here... I have not found anyone willing to consider UK credit even though the same agencies are used! (Experian to name one). I can't even get an iPhone contract with T-Mobile/AT&T without paying a $500 deposit!