Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit cards and car rental?

Credit cards and car rental?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice
Default Re: Credit cards and car rental?

check sites like expedia, they iirc they offer a one time (like the amex) waiver for the period of rental. I did this when I visited the UK last year.

Easycar (Stelios) were also more reasonable and allowed the same type of thing. I used them at Aberdeen airport without issue.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Avis just went way up on my list ... I reserved a 2nd-from bottom grade 'econobox' car to use as a runabout while in the Bay Area this week. They upgraded me to an Infiniti M35, which is the top-of-the line Infiniti model, I believe (around $45k msrp) ... and VERY nice indeed! Nicer than my personal car.

Before offering this, they asked several questions, like - how far do you expect to be driving, etc ... I suspect the fact I said 'just local driving' was one factor as they don't like their higher end cars to see too much mileage. This is by far the best car I've ever rented!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
I use Amex too... sign up for their extended rental car protection and only pay $17.95 per rental (I'm in CA) for some pretty beefy comprehensive insurance almost anywhere in the world. That one charge covers you for the entirity of the rental (up to a few months I think). The only problem I've encountered has been with a few officious-little-shit type people at car rental counters in the UK who didn't believe such a policy existed, so I always carry the multi-page agreement from Amex (and once with Alamo when they were having a temporary dispute with Amex and would not accept the card for a rental)

The only downside is that a few rather key countries in the world are not covered, including Australia for some reason

I trust Amex... it's the only card I ever made a car rental insurance claim on and they came through with few hassles (that one was a corporate card, however).
it use to be free. CDW in USA & full primary coverage for international, subject to certain countries and exotic cars. I used it for years, FOC. For many, many years, I refused insurance, told them I had Amex, cost me half price for car rental, last few years, the Brit Rental companies, especially at the airport, insist you take their overpriced insurance. I had a huge argument with Thrifty HQ, regarding a rental at LHR, outcome HQ said that each location had the right to choose, to except or not except the American cover.

In recent years, I use my Visa Signature card, FOC CDW USA & Primary UK.
Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Jan 12th 2010 at 6:04 am.