Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit cards and car rental?

Credit cards and car rental?

Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit cards and car rental?

My trip is a few weeks away so I am looking into car rental. We have a Visa credit card that covers car rental (insurance). Right now I am looking at Alamo and I can save a lot of money if I skip Alamo's insurance and us the visa. The visa does not cover any 3rd party but I am told that it required by law to be included with every rental (email to Alamo confirms this).

So my question has anyone used their Credit card for insurance for car rental or would I be better off buying my insurance with the car rental company?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice
Default Re: Credit cards and car rental?

Its a matter of risk. My last trip in Hawaii I just went with the credit card coverage. Its not AS good as the regular one with the rental company, but good enough. Just compare the coverage first and see if you're comfortable with any differences.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My trip is a few weeks away so I am looking into car rental. We have a Visa credit card that covers car rental (insurance). Right now I am looking at Alamo and I can save a lot of money if I skip Alamo's insurance and us the visa. The visa does not cover any 3rd party but I am told that it required by law to be included with every rental (email to Alamo confirms this).

So my question has anyone used their Credit card for insurance for car rental or would I be better off buying my insurance with the car rental company?
If you have full coverage insurance on your own car then it transfers to car rental. I have never paid for extra insurance through the rental company (but I haven't rented a vehicle in a couple of years). Just make sure to take your policy sheet/card.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
If you have full coverage insurance on your own car then it transfers to car rental. I have never paid for extra insurance through the rental company (but I haven't rented a vehicle in a couple of years). Just make sure to take your policy sheet/card.
I thought that my car insurance only applied to a rental car in the US? I am talking about coverage in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:27 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that my car insurance only applied to a rental car in the US? I am talking about coverage in the UK.
My bad....I assumed it was in the U.S.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never relied on the credit card coverage when I've rented a car in the UK. I always go with the full package price offered by the rental company (I generally use Europcar) including the CDW and insurance. It's quite a bit of money (maybe $15-$20 per day) but I feel it is worth it to avoid the anxiety. I'm not convinced that the credit card coverage is at all comparable to the coverage that you get by paying for the insurance/CDW from the rental company.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:18 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've never relied on the credit card coverage when I've rented a car in the UK. I always go with the full package price offered by the rental company (I generally use Europcar) including the CDW and insurance. It's quite a bit of money (maybe $15-$20 per day) but I feel it is worth it to avoid the anxiety. I'm not convinced that the credit card coverage is at all comparable to the coverage that you get by paying for the insurance/CDW from the rental company.
If you have AmEx, you can sign up with them for a full coverage package. Basically, every time you pay for your car rental with the AmEx card, they charge something like $27.50 and it gives you full, zero-out-of-pocket coverage for that rental. I use it all the time.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
If you have AmEx, you can sign up with them for a full coverage package. Basically, every time you pay for your car rental with the AmEx card, they charge something like $27.50 and it gives you full, zero-out-of-pocket coverage for that rental. I use it all the time.
Wow didn't know that....useful to know - thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The visa does not cover any 3rd party but I am told that it required by law to be included with every rental (email to Alamo confirms this).
If it doesn't cover the 3rd party who does it cover? Normally a 3rd party is the first to be covered under minimal insurance - and that's the same in the US or UK.

Or did you mean something else?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I used my CC as the insurance this last trip to the UK and it was through an agent and ended up a National Rental car and over $100 cheaper then their own site.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I was like Poppygirl last time I rented thru Auto Europe (basically a broker) and ended up with a Hertz rent a car for half their normal rate, in the past they (Auto Europe) have used National and Hertz, but you only know which rental company you will get your car thru when you have completed the booking, a little like Hotwire with hotels. If the price looks good then take it.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:22 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
I was like Poppygirl last time I rented thru Auto Europe (basically a broker) and ended up with a Hertz rent a car for half their normal rate, in the past they (Auto Europe) have used National and Hertz, but you only know which rental company you will get your car thru when you have completed the booking, a little like Hotwire with hotels. If the price looks good then take it.
www.121carrental.com
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
If it doesn't cover the 3rd party who does it cover? Normally a 3rd party is the first to be covered under minimal insurance - and that's the same in the US or UK.

Or did you mean something else?
The benefit provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. Most private passenger automobiles, minivans, and sport utility vehicles are eligible, but some restrictions may apply. Please contact the Benefit Administrator to inquire about a specific vehicle....

Covered losses are:
Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle.
Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the auto rental company through a fleet utilization log.
Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility.

What is not covered?
Any obligation you assume under any agreement (other than the deductible under your personal auto policy).
Any violation of the auto rental agreement or this benefit.
Injury of anyone or damage to anything inside or outside the rental vehicle.
Loss or theft of personal belongings.
Personal liability.
Expenses assumed, waived, or paid by the rental agency or its insurer.
Cost of any insurance or collision damage waiver offered by or purchased through the auto rental company.
Depreciation of the rental vehicle caused by loss or damage including, but not limited to "diminished value."
Expenses reimbursable by your insurer, employer, or employer’s insurance.
Loss due to intentional acts, or due to the driver(s) being under the influence of alcohol, intoxicants, or drugs, or due to contraband or illegal activities.
Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown.
Items not installed by the original manufacturer.
Loss due to off-road operation of the rental vehicle.
Loss due to hostility of any kind (including, but not limited to, war, invasion, rebellion, or insurrection).
Confiscation by authorities.
Vehicles that do not meet the definition of covered vehicles.
Rental periods that either exceed or are intended to exceed fifteen (15) consecutive days within your country of residence or thirty-one (31) consecutive days outside your country of residence.
Leases and mini leases.
Loss or damage as a result of the cardholder’s lack of reasonable care in protecting the rental vehicle before and after damage occurs (for example, leaving the vehicle running and unattended).
Losses reported more than forty-five (45) days* from the date of loss.
Losses for which a claim form has not been received within ninety (90) days* from the date of loss.
Losses for which all required documentation has not been received within 365 days from the date of loss.
Losses from rental transactions which originated in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vimto
If I don't have to buy thier insurance I can rent a car for £171. My hubby is gonna drive this time too, we want an automatic. The £171 is for an automatic Astra and includes all taxes etc and the additional driver. Should also add it is a 9 day rental.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

What is not covered?

Injury of anyone or damage to anything inside or outside the rental vehicle.
Ok then, so it's not insurance. It's loss waiver coverage.

It's important to make the distinction. If you don't, and buy the wrong thing, you could come a cropper.

You do need insurance, but you do not need damage/loss waiver coverage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.