Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit cards CAN happen...

Credit cards CAN happen...

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Credit cards CAN happen...

About 4 months before leaving the UK I got a HSBC bank account, thinking I could transfer my money over easily when I arrived if I opened an HSBC account over here, and yes to a certain extent it will be simple, so yeay for them.

A bigger cheer comes for HSBC when the manager offered for me to try and obtain a credit card. I said yes laughing in my head at his silliness, only to receive a shiny new credit card in the post yesterday. I don't know whether through HSBC somehow they could check my UK credit records / score, but I didn't even have a c.card with HSBC in the UK.

I was really suprised to get one, but then I guess you don't get if you don't ask!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards CAN happen...

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 View Post
About 4 months before leaving the UK I got a HSBC bank account, thinking I could transfer my money over easily when I arrived if I opened an HSBC account over here, and yes to a certain extent it will be simple, so yeay for them.

A bigger cheer comes for HSBC when the manager offered for me to try and obtain a credit card. I said yes laughing in my head at his silliness, only to receive a shiny new credit card in the post yesterday. I don't know whether through HSBC somehow they could check my UK credit records / score, but I didn't even have a c.card with HSBC in the UK.

I was really suprised to get one, but then I guess you don't get if you don't ask!

That's great! yay for you, I'm sure it's going to be good news for lots of other people on here, that have been wondering how to have accounts in both places!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards CAN happen...

I opened an account with Amex a few months before leaving the UK (I have a stonking credit record over there), credit limit about £3k. I got a 'global transfer' and they used my Amex UK history to open the new Amex US card account, credit limit $10k.

It can be done.