Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:28 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Ok I know this has been asked a few times but I don't have a social security number. I have been using my UK credit cards and bank cards but I keep getting problems because the billing address is a UK address and alot of systems can't handle that especially if payment is for something connected to my USA address.

Is it possible to get either a credit or bank card without the SSN and at the moment I may never get one although I could be here for a while in the USA.

Any banks or credit cards you would recommend?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:33 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Originally Posted by britontour
Ok I know this has been asked a few times but I don't have a social security number. I have been using my UK credit cards and bank cards but I keep getting problems because the billing address is a UK address and alot of systems can't handle that especially if payment is for something connected to my USA address.

Is it possible to get either a credit or bank card without the SSN and at the moment I may never get one although I could be here for a while in the USA.

Bank of America.

You'll need to get a prepaid CC initially.

And go read Fatbrit's very comprehensive article on this subject!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:34 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bank of America.

You'll need to get a prepaid CC initially.

And go read Fatbrit's very comprehensive article on this subject!
Cheers will do.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers will do.
If you are living here you need to get a SS straight away. Its very difficult to obtaining anything without one. Then next is the drivers licence you need this for ID, try showing your UK passport as ID and all you'll get is a glazed expression.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:51 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

In CO, Wells Fargo - highest number of ATM's. You don't need a SSN to open a checking account with them either.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't need a SSN to get a CC or bank debit card...it's used mainly as proof of who you are, so a passport is enough, but you might have to ask someone other than the plank at the bank desk.

And can't you just change your billing address to your US address?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
other than the plank at the bank desk.

And can't you just change your billing address to your US address?
I'm with the Nat West and Halifax and had no problem with changing my address, they now send everything stateside.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
In CO, Wells Fargo - highest number of ATM's. You don't need a SSN to open a checking account with them either.
Ditto 1st Bank, well not the ATM numbers.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:15 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are living here you need to get a SS straight away.
well it depends what you are here for. If you are legally working, then you obviously have a SSN because your employer won't hire you without it. However, if you are not entitled to work, you are probably not entitled to a SSN either. I know several spouses and children of H-1B visa holders who have tried to get a SSN but cannot because they are not entitled to work (usually dependents are on H-4 visas). It's a pain, but in many cases these businesses that demand a SSN don't actually need it. They just need you to prove who you are. If you can do that, and you are persistent, you can get by.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the Nat West and Halifax and had no problem with changing my address, they now send everything stateside.
Keep something with a UK address, I had an issue with an online Share account needing a proof of UK address, so I switched it back. Sometimes handy to have at least something with a UK address. Seem to remember also having issues with the BA UK site needing a UK address, or not liking a US one.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about switching your credit card billing address to your US address? My bills all come here.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

same here with hsbc
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:57 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Washington Mutual dont require a SSN for a current account.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:00 am
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Have you thought about switching your credit card billing address to your US address? My bills all come here.

Yes, but you get stitched up with the currency exchange rate and fees. Plus you need to have money in the UK to pay the bills.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yes, but you get stitched up with the currency exchange rate and fees. Plus you need to have money in the UK to pay the bills.
don't if you send them a DD or a cheque from UK bank though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.