Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit card without providing SSN?

Credit card without providing SSN?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit card without providing SSN?

Originally Posted by Volt61
The US is ahead in several aspects of modern life, but is surprisingly behind in finance and the internet, among other things.
Y'know that the Americans invented the Internet, right?

Ian
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yeah but we invented packet-switched networking, which made the internet possible, and the world-wide web, which made it useful, so it's 2-1 to us.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:25 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michael
Your social security number is normally encrypted on the banks database and is not given to anyone other than the IRS, credit bureaus when checking credit, and only the last 4 digits are normally shown to the customer service representative when someone calls about your account (you give the last 4 digits to the customer service representative so that he can verify who you are).
People can be identified with the last 4 digits of their SSN and other non-secure & easily available data.
C/S centers are a prime source for identity theft, here and across the world.

So there is no difference between purchasing online or local as far as your social security number is concerned.
There is a difference with using a debit card online and a credit card online.

My SSN and using my debit card online are different topics that seem to have become merged here. I was not asking about the latter.

Credit cards have very good protection for the customers in that is unauthorized charges are made, customers normally don't have a problem getting the unauthorized charges removed so I'm not quite sure what your concern is.
I don't have a concern about using credit cards.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yeah but we invented packet-switched networking, which made the internet possible, and the world-wide web, which made it useful, so it's 2-1 to us.
Just thought I would note the following story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12879908

US scientist Paul Baran, whose work in the 1960s helped pave the way for the internet, has died aged 84.

Mr Baran thought up the idea of making communication networks resilient to attack or traffic surges by splitting the data sent over them into chunks.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:26 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, and like the English inventing football, others have surpassed them.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

And Cricket

Lots of Companies provide CC's for those with no SSN. BoA for example.

Now what the reaction will be when you have one and do not want to supply it, do not know.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:34 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We too got a wells fargo credit card before we had our social security numbers. However, we did eventually need to provide our social security numbers as otherwise you can't pass their security checks when you telephone them.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

People can be identified with the last 4 digits of their SSN and other non-secure & easily available data.
C/S centers are a prime source for identity theft, here and across the world
If they ever ask you for the last four digits of your social security number (many banks don't), they also ask for other security questions that only you should know. Anyone else knowing the last four digits doesn't get them anywhere.

There is a difference with using a debit card online and a credit card online.

My SSN and using my debit card online are different topics that seem to have become merged here. I was not asking about the latter.
I never referred to a debit card and was always referring to a credit card. I don't even use my debit card except for banking purposes because of the limited protection against fradulent charges.
I don't have a concern about using credit cards.
From my understanding, only if you don't have to give them your social security number.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Weeze
However, we did eventually need to provide our social security numbers as otherwise you can't pass their security checks when you telephone them.
After spending (wasting really) many agonizing years on the phone with soul destroying menu systems and apathetic c/s staff, I never do this anymore and so this is no longer an issue.
They used to ask me for other things instead of my SSN but its been so long I don't remember what those things were.

My bank still does not have my SSN years after I opened my accounts.

Last edited by Volt61; Mar 28th 2011 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My bank still does not have my SSN years after I opened my accounts.
How do they report any interest to the IRS? Or don't you have any interest-bearing accounts?

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read about not doing this because a debit card is connected to a bank account, and the bank account could become vulnerable.

Debit cards are not afforded the same protections as credit cards either.
Visa debit cards have Zero liability in the event of fraud just like Visa credit cards do.

"Visa's Zero Liability Policy*, which protects you from unauthorized charges. Any funds taken from your account due to fraudulent use will be returned to you. "

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/d...html#anchor_20

I have had my card used once in 13 years of using debit cards, and upon reporting the fraudulent purchases to Bank of America, the money was back in my account within 5 minutes.

I dont know if Mastercard offers the same protections, but Visa certainly does.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:05 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Visa debit cards have Zero liability in the event of fraud just like Visa credit cards do.

"Visa's Zero Liability Policy*, which protects you from unauthorized charges. Any funds taken from your account due to fraudulent use will be returned to you. "

I have had my card used once in 13 years of using debit cards, and upon reporting the fraudulent purchases to Bank of America, the money was back in my account within 5 minutes.

Exactly. The risks are negligible and the remedies are, in the most part, very straightforward.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That is the protection provided by Visa when charges go though the Visa network and not the charges that go directly to your bank via the debit network. Read the following.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/d...ebitcards1.htm

So you are right, it is no more risky for credit card charges than a credit card but it adds the risk of direct charges to you bank without using the visa network.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 29th 2011 at 12:09 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That is the protection provided by Visa when charges go though the Visa network and not the charges that go directly to your bank via the debit network. Read the following.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/d...ebitcards1.htm

So you are right, it is no more risky for credit card charges than a credit card but it adds the risk of direct charges to you bank without using the visa network.
Bank of America (the bank I use) also offers zero liability when it comes to fraud. And having dealt with them once due to fraudulent charges made using my card, I can say it cost me nothing other then a few minutes on the phone.

In fact they noticed the fraud before I did, notified me by email and a phone call.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bank of America (the bank I use) also offers zero liability when it comes to fraud. And having dealt with them once due to fraudulent charges made using my card, I can say it cost me nothing other then a few minutes on the phone.

In fact they noticed the fraud before I did, notified me by email and a phone call.
I agree but I suspect that you are either referring to credit card transactions on a debit card or on a credit card. That always has very good protection.

I've had fraudulent transactions three times on my credit cards, both mastercard and discovercard and never had a problem getting the charges removed, the card cancelled, and a new card issued with a new number.

My previous post was concerning the lessor protection that a debit card offers if someone uses it fraudulently to withdraw money from your bank account or makes a retail charge using the debit system (pin required) and not the credit card system. Charges for a debit card can be made through one of two networks depending how it is used but charges for credit cards always go through the credit card network.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 29th 2011 at 4:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.