Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit card success

credit card success

Old Oct 25th 2003, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

dave f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default credit card success

i just thought this might help anyone who has tried in vain to get a credit card in the US, i went to householdbank.com and my application for a card was accepted, its not the best credit card in the world, the interest rate is 18.9% and they only gave me $300 credit but its a way to build your credit rating in the US, the very helpfull man on the other end of the telephone told me household bank are famous for helping immigrants like ourselves and if you make all your payments on time your credit limit will be increased after six months.

Last edited by dave f; Oct 25th 2003 at 12:48 am.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Ukwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

The easiest way to build your credit here is, apply for a Credit Card at a local Dept store..they'll give you some big intrest rate and a low amount of the card, usually $200 or so...Take the card, max it out on your 1st visit..go a bit over and thy'll ask you to pay the cash difference, do that...When you get your cc bill, pay it off or..always pay more than the asked mthly amnt..

Next, get another one from another dept store and do the same thing..in about 2-3 mths, you'll be getting all sorts of offers for cards...Once you have the card you want, put something on it then switch that card over to a "lower intrest bearing acct" and so on..Within 6 mths, you should be pretty well established.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Several companies offer secured Visa/Mastercard credit cards that are backed by an amount, usually several hundred dollars, that you keep in a savings account. I've known several people who have established credit in the U.S. this way. From what I understand, it's virtually impossible to be turned down for these cards unless you've gone bankrupt or had some other major financial catasrophe.