Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Card PIN numbers

Credit Card PIN numbers

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:29 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Credit Card PIN numbers

I'm off to England in a few days and I have a question: is it true that now everyone has to have a PIN number to be able to use a credit card in shops? I'm not sure of all my PIN numbers but I don't want to get caught short. It would be embarrasing to try and pay for something in Boots and then be asked for a PIN number if I don't know it! I've never bothered with them because I've never needed them and if I have to I'll need to go rooting through some boxes to find them. Last time I was in England I noticed that a lot fo stores were using that little swipe card machine and you had to enter your PIN number for both credit and debit cards. In the US we only need a PIN for debit cards.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Ry8000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit Card PIN numbers

UK stores do require a PIN now when purchasing goods, but it's normally just for the British consumers... I think anyone visiting the country (using a "foreign" credit card) can still just sign on the line as normal. My US fiancee has no problems at all using US cards without a PIN .....the problems only start when you ask "do you take AMEX?". Blank looks usually follow!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:48 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ry8000
UK stores do require a PIN now when purchasing goods, but it's normally just for the British consumers... I think anyone visiting the country (using a "foreign" credit card) can still just sign on the line as normal. My US fiancee has no problems at all using US cards without a PIN .....the problems only start when you ask "do you take AMEX?". Blank looks usually follow!
Thanks but I'll be using my UK credit cards so I guess I'll have to root through those boxes now!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Ry8000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Thanks but I'll be using my UK credit cards so I guess I'll have to root through those boxes now!
Have a look at this link for more info:

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/

.... you may get away with it until the 14th of this month. Otherwise, give your bank/card company a call, they may offer a suggestion.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:20 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ry8000
Have a look at this link for more info:

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/

.... you may get away with it until the 14th of this month. Otherwise, give your bank/card company a call, they may offer a suggestion.
Hi there,

I am just back from a 3 month stint in the UK, and can confirm that if you don't know the PIN you can get away with it at the moment, but i reckon that once the 14th arrives then that won't work.

Hope things are all going well with you. I went back to the UK to do some work that will keep things afloat here for a little while.

Was great to be back in the UK, but is pretty good to be back here too. Have a good trip.

Dufus xxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

They have been rolling this out for a year now but it looks like the deadline is upon us! Some cards such as Egg you can view your PIN online but others will send a new one out which could take some time. The banks etc have been sending out loads of mailing etc for ages so you might have this in your paperwork
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks when they sent out new cards would include a pin if you never set one up, and you can probably set it up with most banks online before you go...or at least ring them about it..
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm off to England in a few days and I have a question: is it true that now everyone has to have a PIN number to be able to use a credit card in shops? I'm not sure of all my PIN numbers but I don't want to get caught short. It would be embarrasing to try and pay for something in Boots and then be asked for a PIN number if I don't know it! I've never bothered with them because I've never needed them and if I have to I'll need to go rooting through some boxes to find them. Last time I was in England I noticed that a lot fo stores were using that little swipe card machine and you had to enter your PIN number for both credit and debit cards. In the US we only need a PIN for debit cards.

yep just got my uk amex card with new pin number..think the date starts feb 15 not sure
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4705842.stm

FYI

This still will not affect anyone using a US card and you will be able to sign for it!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

any number look familiar?

Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rockgurl]I'm off to England in a few days and I have a question: is it true that now everyone has to have a PIN number to be able to use a credit card in shops?

I only use my UK cards when I am there and at the moment most stores will accept them without a pin. As far as I am aware no UK bank will give you your pin no. on line, over the phone or from the bank itself. They insist it is mailed to you and it can take several weeks. I have no experience in using a US card over there.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
I'm off to England in a few days and I have a question: is it true that now everyone has to have a PIN number to be able to use a credit card in shops?

I only use my UK cards when I am there and at the moment most stores will accept them without a pin. As far as I am aware no UK bank will give you your pin no. on line, over the phone or from the bank itself. They insist it is mailed to you and it can take several weeks. I have no experience in using a US card over there.

No this has changed - the PIN is now required. Egg with certainly give you your PIN on line but many of the traditional banks will only mail it as you say. US cards do not use chip and PIN and therefore you can sign as in the good old days!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:57 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

For security purposes, the PIN number should be 1111 or the last four digits of your social security number.

g
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
I'm off to England in a few days and I
I. I have no experience in using a US card over there.
i have both usa and uk amex and so use whichever depending on the exchange rate....no probs using the usa amex one in the shops in the uk however best to inform the usa visa/mastercards you are going out of the country to the uk/far east wherever as i've been caught out a couple of times, luckily i had other means of payment. for me my amex cards are the best for travelling although not as convenient in the uk.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by User Name
For security purposes, the PIN number should be 1111 or the last four digits of your social security number.

g

thats the same combination i have on my luggage......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.