British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Credit card offers in already...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/credit-card-offers-already-432533/)

Boylerz Mar 5th 2007 10:57 pm

Credit card offers in already......

As some of you may know I got approved for a credit card last week. Today in the post I got offered one by another company. I havent even received my card in the post yet! Is the start start of my junk mail nightmare?!!!!!!

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2007 11:00 pm

Re: Credit card offers in already......

Originally Posted by Boylerz (Post 4486534)
As some of you may know I got approved for a credit card last week. Today in the post I got offered one by another company. I havent even received my card in the post yet! Is the start start of my junk mail nightmare?!!!!!!

You need to invest in a good paper shredder.

NC Penguin Mar 6th 2007 12:29 am

Do you get this excited about offers about enlarging your penis too?:D

NC Penguin

BritGuyTN Mar 6th 2007 3:25 am

go to http://www.optoutprescreen.com/

and register

this will ensure you only get credit stuff from companies you already deal with

Pulaski Mar 6th 2007 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 4487141)
go to http://www.optoutprescreen.com/ and register

This will ensure you only get credit stuff from companies you already deal with

It worked for Mrs P and me, though it took a good three months for the credit card offers to start to tail off, and more than a year for the full benefit to be felt.

AmerLisa Mar 6th 2007 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4486714)
Do you get this excited about offers about enlarging your penis too?:D

NC Penguin

:eek: :eek: tsk, tsk NC.....:ohmy: :ohmy:

:p

BritGuyTN Mar 6th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 4489458)
It worked for Mrs P and me, though it took a good three months for the credit card offers to start to tail off, and more than a year for the full benefit to be felt.

yup

the only ones i get now are from existing creditors or people like southwest or united that I have awards accounts with

ScousePete Mar 6th 2007 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 4489458)
It worked for Mrs P and me, more than a year for the full benefit to be felt.

You talking about the penis enlarger?

rincewind Mar 7th 2007 11:40 pm

Don't get too excited. I used to receive them all the time even when my credit was non-existent. Look carefully at the annual fees and actual APR after the big bold special rate has expired.

Anything with an annual fee and an actual APR above 15% gets tossed in the trash in this house.

MrScotland Mar 8th 2007 3:19 pm

If your trying to build a US credit score one important factor in the FICO calculation is the % of available credit you actually use. Anything above say 35% is considered a negative. Basically you get rewarded for obtaining credit that you never use. It's worth getting a few cards and just not using them.

This is just one of many factors in the score but it is an important one. I managed to drive my score from mid 600's to 720'ish just by getting more cards without using the credit. There is a small ding on your score every time there is a credit check however, so bear that in mind.

Bob Mar 8th 2007 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by MrScotland (Post 4498102)
If your trying to build a US credit score one important factor in the FICO calculation is the % of available credit you actually use. Anything above say 35% is considered a negative. Basically you get rewarded for obtaining credit that you never use. It's worth getting a few cards and just not using them.

This is just one of many factors in the score but it is an important one. I managed to drive my score from mid 600's to 720'ish just by getting more cards without using the credit. There is a small ding on your score every time there is a credit check however, so bear that in mind.

If you apply for a bunch of cards at the same time, it's a soft ding and only count as one...but you don't want to much available credit either, won't affect your fico, but bank will jack your rate if you have a huge potential for massive credit...BoA, at least anyway.