Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit card fraud after 3 months here!

credit card fraud after 3 months here!

Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of
Default credit card fraud after 3 months here!

someone started using our credit card details near San Diego. Luckily the amounts charged were small, and the credit card company fraud department detected it. It's taken a week to sort out and get a new credit card number, and update several companies who will be billing our card periodically

Colleagues have mentioned this can happen quite often here in USA, so maybe it's worth getting two credit cards:-

1. one that you only use with really trusted parties (such as utility companies) and leave at home

2. the other for day to day purchases, and when travelling, which may get compromised and so need to be cancelled
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit card fraud after 3 months here!

Actually it isn't a bad idea to have at least 2 cards that you use for "day to day purchases" precisely so that if (when) one of them is compromised (either for real or just because the credit card company's fraud department was a little over zealous and put a stop on it) you still have another one that you can use.

It is important that you use both of them because if you keep one "just for emergencies" that you don't normally use then when you *do* start to use it the credit card company will get suspicious at the "unusual" usage pattern and you might find that one getting blocked after only 2 or 3 purchases.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

i got hit within 2 months. Amex were very helpful sorting it out.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

grr, I'm in the middle of it now.
Darn Europeans having a field day too. Trying, anyway.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get a shredder and nuke anything with your name and address that comes through the door from credit card companies etc...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

I've got to hand it to the CC companies tho... they are very good at catching fraudulent use and apart from the wait they make it very straightforward to sort it out.

It's also worth getting your free credit report annually to just be sure there isn't anything else untoward happening under your name.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a shredder and nuke anything with your name and address that comes through the door from credit card companies etc...
That's an excellent practice, but unfortunately the major proportion of CC fraud comes from circumstances outside the individuals control (i.e. dishonest employees of a business you use your card at, mass compromise of a companies records, etc. Only true way to be bullet proof is not to use credit cards. Being as that's almost impossible these days, the next best thing is to regularly monitor your account to catch is as soon as possible.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had an instance where two of my cards were skimmed at a Bank of America ATM in New York City. Our bank didn't alert us to this and the thieves drained our checking account, putting us into overdraft fees within a week. Luckily most of our money is in our savings account and the two are not linked.

What really amazed us was how common this seems to be. "Tis the season for fraud" the bank manager told us, indicating that we were the second couple with this issue that day, and it was 10am.

To their credit, they did put all of the funds back within a day or two, the speed was amazing really. Still ... it's amazing that this goes on so frequently.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
the major proportion of CC fraud comes from circumstances outside the individuals control (i.e. dishonest employees of a business you use your card at,
I am 99% sure that is what happened to me as I shred everything.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
That's an excellent practice, but unfortunately the major proportion of CC fraud comes from circumstances outside the individuals control (i.e. dishonest employees of a business you use your card at, mass compromise of a companies records, etc. Only true way to be bullet proof is not to use credit cards. Being as that's almost impossible these days, the next best thing is to regularly monitor your account to catch is as soon as possible.
That's true, but you can only do what you can control...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
It's also worth getting your free credit report annually to just be sure there isn't anything else untoward happening under your name.
I second this suggestion - and would even go a bit farther. The 3 major credit reporting agencies - Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax - all let you to get a free credit report once each year. So, you get one from Experian, and then 4 months later get one from TransUnion, and then 4 months later get one from Equifax. Four months later, it's the next year and you can do it all again... and again... etc.

Monitoring your account every 4 months is a lot better than once annually.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Monitoring your account every 4 months is a lot better than once annually.
Yep, that's what I do, even to the extent of marking on my electronic calendar when I can get the next free report from each of the three agencies.

And I second the earlier call about cc companies having gotten better about tracking fraudulent usage. I made a big (c $700) charge online yesterday and within two hours I got a call asking me to confirm the charge was mine. Otoh, I have had my card with this company compromised twice in the past, so maybe I'm marked for "special" treatment!