Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Fraud

Credit Card Fraud

Old Aug 30th 2014, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card Fraud

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I travel a lot.
Gets replaced about four times a year. They have very effective algorithms for identifying unusual behaviour.
I wish they would turn those algorithms into effective declines when fraudster sh!theads try to rip me off!
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

How'd they get it to you?
Exactly as Horace said, via UPS.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 3:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
Got an email from my cc company recently about a suspicious charge, and asked me to call them. Called them around 6 pm, and told them it was a bogus charge. I received a new one by 9 the next morning.
Same here (Chase).

We were without a Card for maybe 12 hours total from time of the first email.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 2:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The card should still continue to work until the new one arrives, at least that was the case with our cards.
ay.
why would they want to do that? Once a card has been ocmpromised, surely the sensible thing to do is block it immediately, otherwise how do they prevent the fraudulent use from continuing? Unless of course, they are trying to track the fraudulent use, which case your own use just muddies the waters...?

We've had 4 or 5 situations in the last year, and each time i have been told it has been cancelled straight away. The only time I've actually verified that was when I reported my costco amex as lost/stolen while I was sittng in the costco car park. I then realized I had actually put it somewhere else, located it, and tried to use it about 30 minutes later. Not only was it declined, but I also had a rather embarrassing conversation with amex fraud prevention in which I had to explain why I was trying to use a card I had reported lost
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:09 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
why would they want to do that? Once a card has been ocmpromised, surely the sensible thing to do is block it immediately, otherwise how do they prevent the fraudulent use from continuing? Unless of course, they are trying to track the fraudulent use, which case your own use just muddies the waters...?
Sorry, should have been clearer. I was referring to times when a merchant suffers a compromise hence whilst the card hasn't YET been defraud-ed there is the potential for it to now be.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:58 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Sorry, should have been clearer. I was referring to times when a merchant suffers a compromise hence whilst the card hasn't YET been defraud-ed there is the potential for it to now be.
Ah, ok, with you now.
I had a target card that had only been used once (kids xbox discount) so I called to cancel when they had their breach. "Oh, there's no need for that, we'll send you a new one in 4-6 weeks, but until then, just keep using your old one...and thank you for being one of our most loyal customers....."
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I wish they would turn those algorithms into effective declines when fraudster sh!theads try to rip me off!
They have to balance declining what may just be an unusual but genuine purchase ( and pissing you off that you were declined and making the whole purchase a pita) with suspecting its fraud. I've been called several times by the banks fraud dept and every time, it was genuinely me and not fraud. However same bank will not letme make a payment online to uk charity and denies me every time. That pisses me off more not being Able to spend my money, than having to clear up and get refunded for fraud.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
They have to balance declining what may just be an unusual but genuine purchase ( and pissing you off that you were declined and making the whole purchase a pita) with suspecting its fraud. I've been called several times by the banks fraud dept and every time, it was genuinely me and not fraud. However same bank will not letme make a payment online to uk charity and denies me every time. That pisses me off more not being Able to spend my money, than having to clear up and get refunded for fraud.
American banks seems hyper sensitive when it comes to suspecting fraud, so many visitors from the US have their cards declined because the bank finds using it in Canada suspicious. I hate seeing a US card, I know there is a high chance its going to cause issues and I always the one who ends up taking the brunt of it, always my fault or our machine even though its working for everyone using Canadian cards. Doesn't happen with every US card, but happens with a good chunk of them.

When I had a Chase card, they had my Canadian address, sent me a bill in Canada, and still rejected transactions in Canada as suspicious.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
American banks seems hyper sensitive when it comes to suspecting fraud, so many visitors from the US have their cards declined because the bank finds using it in Canada suspicious. I hate seeing a US card, I know there is a high chance its going to cause issues and I always the one who ends up taking the brunt of it, always my fault or our machine even though its working for everyone using Canadian cards. Doesn't happen with every US card, but happens with a good chunk of them.

When I had a Chase card, they had my Canadian address, sent me a bill in Canada, and still rejected transactions in Canada as suspicious.
When we travel out of the country, I always inform the bank/credit card companies that I'm specifically going to use. If they know ahead of time what countries that you will be traveling in there is less chance of them declining a transition.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
When we travel out of the country, I always inform the bank/credit card companies that I'm specifically going to use. If they know ahead of time what countries that you will be traveling in there is less chance of them declining a transition.
Yes true, no clue if these people do that, but its only US cards giving issues, so seems to be a US thing...lol

My bank doesn't care anymore, they no longer want people calling in to let them know they are travelling, suppose with the chip and pin now, they are less worried about fraud, but I have heard its far more difficult now to get money back if the card is compromised and the pin is used, banks see pin being used = your fault so your problem.