Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit card bills back in UK? What

Credit card bills back in UK? What

Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Doug2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Credit card bills back in UK? What

I have a few grand in credit card bills, plus some 10s of thousands in Student Loans, back in UK, that I plan to pay off. So each 11 hour day I work, I am safe in the knowledge that money will be going to various companies in England.

But I can't help but wonder, how would they ever know if someone moved to another country and didn't pay off their credit cards? What would happen to them? CCJs? What happens?

If this question fascinates you like it does me, please comment!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:32 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit card bills back in UK? What

I am sure that there must be some wankers on here that have run off without paying their dues, but I doubt they would have the balls to admit their failings on this forum for all to see.

You're not a wanker are you?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I am sure that there must be some wankers on here that have run off without paying their dues, but I doubt they would have the balls to admit their failings on this forum for all to see.

Don't be that wanker. Find a way to pay internationally
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:03 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doug2011
I have a few grand in credit card bills, plus some 10s of thousands in Student Loans, back in UK, that I plan to pay off. So each 11 hour day I work, I am safe in the knowledge that money will be going to various companies in England.

But I can't help but wonder, how would they ever know if someone moved to another country and didn't pay off their credit cards? What would happen to them? CCJs? What happens?

If this question fascinates you like it does me, please comment!
There is no way to connect your credit history in the UK to your life in the US. That being said, it is extremely inadvisable to default on any credit arrangements - you really have no idea what the future holds, and how hard it could make your life if you needed to return to the UK. Just keep making those payments!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:07 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
There is no way to connect your credit history in the UK to your life in the US. That being said, it is extremely inadvisable to default on any credit arrangements - you really have no idea what the future holds, and how hard it could make your life if you needed to return to the UK. Just keep making those payments!
What he said.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of at least two regulars on these boards in the past who were exactly that kind of "wanker" and proudly advised others on how to run out on their UK debts just like they had.

I think one of them, replete with his holier-than-thou wanksterism, still posts here occasionally.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:10 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a wanker, but unfortunately I didn't leave the UK with any debts whatsoever so consequently have nothing constructive to add to this thread.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing that would happen if you somehow went off the grid in the UK and hid somewhere. You could possibly get away with it for years, but eventually someone would find you, and you would pay the price in more ways than one.

I am paying off student loans and credit cards from here in the US. It's not that hard.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough

Can you please advise how you arrange payment of student loan internationally? Do you just agree a cushy non income based figure and that's it or is it still income linked? If mine was they'd want way too much per month!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docholywood
Can you please advise how you arrange payment of student loan internationally? Do you just agree a cushy non income based figure and that's it or is it still income linked? If mine was they'd want way too much per month!
It's income linked. I think it's 15% of whatever's above their defined salary threshold for each country. You have to show proof of income, and it's based on gross income, not net. You will be paying back more per month than your UK friends do, probably. Also, for added fun, you get to pay in dollars - so that makes it seem like even more.

Once you are earning non-bursary or scholarship money in a foreign country, you are obligated to get in touch with them and set up an arrangement for payment. If you don't, they are able to charge you all sorts of fees - not sure how often they do though.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:10 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

Some of you might like this site
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We have a loan and a UK credit card still outstanding in the UK.

We've maintained our UK bank accounts in the UK too, and now use Xoom to send money back to the UK each month to take care of our obligations. It costs $4.99 to send any amount up to $2499 I believe, and the exchange rate is acceptable. It takes about 25 mins from the time I press 'Go' at my end to the time it appears in my UK account.

We did write to the loan company in the UK to figure out how to pay them - they weren't at all helpful, and during this time we missed a repayment. We got a letter from them saying we'd better get back on track or they would instruct agents in the US to recover outstanding amounts here in the US.

So I imagine 'running away' won't solve the problem in the end. We only have 1 payment left with that particular loan company, thank God, because they have been particularly inept...

The credit card company on the other hand have been very understanding and helpful.

Now, if only HMRC and the IRS could be the same - we're owed nearly $6K between them!!

As for those who run away from their debt - definite wankers, because the net effect is to raise the cost of credit on everybody else.

Wankers.

OK, off soap box now!

HTS
Old Aug 1st 2011, 5:09 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to keep my UK credit score intact just in case my kids ever decided they'd prefer to live there. Plus I sometimes need to use my UK cards to buy stuff online for delivery to people in the UK, without them I'd have to pay a fortune in shipping.

Not really sure how they track people down, I guess it depends on how much money it is as to how much effort they put in to it.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:51 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I prefer to keep my UK credit score intact just in case my kids ever decided they'd prefer to live there. Plus I sometimes need to use my UK cards to buy stuff online for delivery to people in the UK, without them I'd have to pay a fortune in shipping.

Not really sure how they track people down, I guess it depends on how much money it is as to how much effort they put in to it.
We do the same thing. Plus it's nice to have when visiting for car rental, lodging, etc instead of using a US card.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion

It's a badge of honor in the Barbie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.