Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit card application without employment.

Credit card application without employment.

Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit card application without employment.

If your wife has a job then she could apply for a credit card and put you on as an authorised user. You'd be piggybacking on her credit and depending on the card and the credit agency, building your own credit history at the same time. Of course, this would be beneficial to you only if you and your wife use the credit card wisely and pay it off.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You can be added as a named user on a card. For most cards, not all this will give you the advantage of the primary users credit history on that card. I think you may technically need to live at the same address.

This is what I did with my husband. I added him to my Amex card and my JC Penney card and within 6 months he had a great credit score and history.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This is what I did with my husband. I added him to my Amex card and my JC Penney card and within 6 months he had a great credit score and history.
This article may be a good read for the OP

How 'authorized user' status can help build US credit

Use creditkarma or similar to keep track of your credit score to see if being a named user is making any difference.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

So what now? For me it sounds from some of you as if you don't inherit the credit history if you get added as an authorized user.
My husband added me on 2 of his credit card accounts as an authorized user two years ago, after we got married and a month later Credit Karma already showed a 14 yr credit history with 100% on time payment in my account (and obviously boosted my credit score up quiet a bit). For only being in the states for a total of 5 years now, having a 14 yr credit history comes in very handy.

OP: If you don't have that luxury, I, without being married, only being here temporarily as an intern, signed with capital one for a journey card. The journey card is even advertised as a credit history starter. My limit was not high ($800), but I only used small amounts and paid them off every month. After 8 month they upped my credit limit to $1800 without me even asking (that's not 2 1/2 years ago).
Yesterday I sent a request to up the limit again based on our household income (which is pretty healthy), so I hope I get a positive response for that soon.

Anyways, long story short and main points: Yes, you are allowed to list the household (wife and you) income on the credit card application. Capital one (for me) was the right choice back then. Good customer service, easy application approval.

Good luck!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

The first card I got (first application was rejected) I declared what savings I had on the application and this seemed to get me past the issue of not having a job. I was then offered the lowest credit card available and had to stump up 300 dollars for collateral for a 300 limit. After a year and some months of working I was eligible for a better credit card with a bigger limit.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Go straight for the Capital One secured - after 6 months of payments you'll be golden. After that long I got an Amex, Discover and a couple of others all with reasonable limits ($2k+) for someone with only 6 months of credit history.
+1 - This is what I did. You secure a card with your own money, so they have no risk (hence secured) - but after a certain time limit they give you back your money, and have that as your unsecured limit. Still goes to your credit score.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:17 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Will this be your first-ever US credit card? If so, I suggest getting a secured card at your bank, for now. Use it wisely, and in about a year you will be able to get other cards and higher limits.

Rene
In a year? This just doesn't marry up with my experience.

I was accepted for two Bank of America cards within a week of having a bank account with them. Both with $2.5k limits. I also received another credit union credit card with a limit of $5k.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if you have a pre approved credit card offer on whether the card company runs a hard credit check on you?
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:27 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if you have a pre approved credit card offer on whether the card company runs a hard credit check on you?
Yes, they do.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
You can apply for as many as you want to, presumably the US system works the similarly to the UK one in that every application turned down makes it more likely that the next will be as well.

I've been employed six months, not yet tried my bank, but was recently refused a Home Depot credit card
Friends who have moved to the US had best luck starting with secured credit card, and ( unless they have changed) buying something from Fingerhut on payments. That gives two payment histories on your credit report.

I don't know all the ranking credit cards use, but besides income, length of time living in one place counts- so I know people if they rent a flat when they arrive say on temporary basis, when they move to permanent place just get mail forwarded so they have 12 months in their first residence- some think that makes a difference.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

max930 is an unknown quantity at this point

The trick is start with a gas station or department store first. Most stores and gas chains that do business near the Canadian border. Do have accounts for "foreigners", mainly geared for Canadians, but for the most part they treat a Brit the same. The second trick when you pick a bank. Pick one that is nationwide in the US and has a large presence near the Canadian border. Its why Wells Fargo treat foreign account holders better when it comes to credit.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
In a year? This just doesn't marry up with my experience.

I was accepted for two Bank of America cards within a week of having a bank account with them. Both with $2.5k limits. I also received another credit union credit card with a limit of $5k.
Same here. After about 3 months with a secured card we started getting 'you're pre-approved' spam. Just don't go nuts opening those new accounts, because each one dints your credit for a bit.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you apply for it, they will.