Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit card application without employment.

Credit card application without employment.

Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit card application without employment.

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a related question...

I've not applied for a Credit Card in the U.S, so have no credit history - but have an Amex/Mastercard in the UK. I'm aware that Amex allows you to move your points/account over to the US but was wondering if they help build/accelerate your history as a 'known customer' (I've an excellent credit history in the UK for over 5 years, paying in full at the end of the month). I've not actually spoken to them about it (they have my US address on file), but was wondering if anyone had gone down that route.
My understanding is that Amex use your UK history as the basis for issuing an account in the US. I don't think they "move your points/account over". This is internal decision making by Amex and does not directly affect your credit score, but obviously, having and using the US card then enables you to start building your history here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "build/accelerate your history" but, no, Amex cannot do anything to directly give your score here a jump start.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
My understanding is that Amex use your UK history as the basis for issuing an account in the US. I don't think they "move your points/account over". This is internal decision making by Amex and does not directly affect your credit score, but obviously, having and using the US card then enables you to start building your history here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "build/accelerate your history" but, no, Amex cannot do anything to directly give your score here a jump start.
Take a look at their website

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

It does give you a credit history dated back with when you first signed with them though.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a related question...

I've not applied for a Credit Card in the U.S, so have no credit history - but have an Amex/Mastercard in the UK. I'm aware that Amex allows you to move your points/account over to the US but was wondering if they help build/accelerate your history as a 'known customer' (I've an excellent credit history in the UK for over 5 years, paying in full at the end of the month). I've not actually spoken to them about it (they have my US address on file), but was wondering if anyone had gone down that route.
No, they don't. The account shows as being open from the date it was open in the UK, but your credit history starts from when your first US account was opened and the creditor starts reporting to the CRAs.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine went back to the date I opened my account in the UK, so my credit history is older than my residency in the US. This does cause some people to ask questions. I think that has changed now. It also did boost my score to around 760 ish , again that may have changed.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 8:09 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Originally Posted by mrken30
Mine went back to the date I opened my account in the UK, so my credit history is older than my residency in the US. This does cause some people to ask questions. I think that has changed now. It also did boost my score to around 760 ish , again that may have changed.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here Mrken, but does that mean you went through the country change with Amex? and if so, did your points transfer (aside from building a credit history in the UK, my main swing to them was the points that I've horded for future travel).

TIA!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't get the points, they stayed on my UK card, exactly the same as they would have if I had applied for a second AMEX card in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
They didn't make me back my credit line - I had to put down a $50 deposit for a $500 credit line. That said, I was already employed.
Good to know, thank you. My bank hasn't gotten back to me yet so I'll pursue this option if so. That said, my wife got a job today so I might be able to use that income. I'll ask them.

Thank again all, much appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:53 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Good to know, thank you. My bank hasn't gotten back to me yet so I'll pursue this option if so. That said, my wife got a job today so I might be able to use that income. I'll ask them.

Thank again all, much appreciated.
you are allowed to use that as income

The CFPB Amends Card Act Rule to Make it Easier for Stay-at-Home Spouses and Partners to Get Credit Cards | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Old Aug 27th 2016, 1:13 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

without a job it may be hard. i stayed at home for the first 4 years here, and built no credit. Then i got a job with a large bank. whilst they were happy to give me a debit card even my own employer declined me for a credit card at first.

i ended up going on my husbands cards as a signer and 'borrowing' his credit - and now i have all manner of store and credit cards and ni issues. but it ook a while.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 8:23 am
Just Joined

brewdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, Ive just taken out a CC with BofA. My experience thus far. Stump up $500 for $500 credit. Just had annual fee of $39 taken out. So in essence, the whole thing has cost me $539 (+ losses in exchange) for a line of credit that i have financed. Oh and the APR is 16.7%. Its banking par excellence!
For anyone interested, all i needed was my UK driving licence and passport for opening bank account and CC. Took about 1hr though.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thank you for the responses, I don't know why I missed the recent ones. Still job hunting but have a few promising leads now, so fingers crossed the new year brings something...new! Employment is my priority now, then I'll look at CC's, but on that subject:

I was in Seattle last week and stopped in a branch of HSBC (My UK bank) to see if, given I was a good customer over there, they could open up an account for me here with a credit card so I could at least begin to build a credit score. They said they would ask someone and get back to me but never did sadly.

Anyway, around that time I was told that you can have joint credit cards (A co-signee), I.E You can have someone with a good credit score basically validate you and who would make any payments should you fail to. I asked my Father in law about this as he has an excellent credit score and he said he would be happy to, but is there such a thing?

Last edited by Harveyspecter; Dec 7th 2016 at 3:17 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thank you for the responses, I don't know why I missed the recent ones. Still job hunting but have a few promising leads now, so fingers crossed the new year brings something...new! Employment is my priority now, then I'll look at CC's, but on that subject:

I was in Seattle last week and stopped in a branch of HSBC (My UK bank) to see if, given I was a good customer over there, they could open up an account for me here with a credit card so I could at least begin to build a credit score. They said they would ask someone and get back to me but never did sadly.

Anyway, around that time I was told that you can have joint credit cards (A co-signee), I.E You can have someone with a good credit score basically validate you and who would make any payments should you fail to. I asked my Father in law about this as he has an excellent credit score and he said he would be happy to, but is there such a thing?
Good luck with the job hunt.

Yes there is such a thing as co-signers but not all credit card issuers allow them. This may be helpful:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...uers-cosigner/
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi All,

You can be added as a named user on a card. For most cards, not all this will give you the advantage of the primary users credit history on that card. I think you may technically need to live at the same address.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I will look into it. I know there is no shortcut to establishing credit but just looking at some options. Once I'm working a secured CC won't be an issue anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.