British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Credit for car on visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/credit-car-visa-910483/)

latic81fl Mar 16th 2018 3:31 am

Credit for car on visa

Been in the US on a H1B visa for 6+ years and currently going through the green card process. Interested to know what would happen if I went to get small amount of credit on a car? My guess is that I would struggle because of my status but figured I’d ask the experts amongst this board.

Ive had a credit card while living here but I’ve never bothered to try and get credit on assets before, but now that we are at the final stage of the green card which is the status change I figured i’d Look into it.

Cheers.

Twinkle0927 Mar 16th 2018 3:42 am

Re: Credit for car on visa

I got a car loan less than 6 months after I arrived.

latic81fl Mar 16th 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 (Post 12463864)
I got a car loan less than 6 months after I arrived.

Fair enough. Did they take into account how long you had left on your visa?

jeepster Mar 16th 2018 4:26 am

Originally Posted by latic81fl (Post 12463858)
Been in the US on a H1B visa for 6+ years and currently going through the green card process. Interested to know what would happen if I went to get small amount of credit on a car? My guess is that I would struggle because of my status but figured I’d ask the experts amongst this board.

Ive had a credit card while living here but I’ve never bothered to try and get credit on assets before, but now that we are at the final stage of the green card which is the status change I figured i’d Look into it.

Cheers.

Buying a car with a credit card? I've bought a used car with a credit card, but I had to call the credit card company first and get the proper amount of credit.

latic81fl Mar 16th 2018 4:28 am

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 12463872)
Buying a car with a credit card? I've bought a used car with a credit card, but I had to call the credit card company first and get the proper amount of credit.

Not looking to buy a car on a credit card. I said I’ve had a cc.

Rete Mar 16th 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by latic81fl (Post 12463865)
Fair enough. Did they take into account how long you had left on your visa?

Different scenario. She is here on a marriage based green card from date of entry at the POE.

ellie_gbr Mar 16th 2018 1:44 pm

I got a car loan when here on a visa. I was actually on OPT after an F1 visa and didn't have any major problems. The loan term was longer than my original 1 yr OPT and maybe longer than the F1 visa in my passport. I think they looked at this, but it was over 6 years ago and the details are fuzzy.

chawkins99 Mar 16th 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by latic81fl (Post 12463858)

Cheers.

I have bought several cars over here both as a non-immigrant (H1 visa) and permanent resident. My status has never been an issue. Certainly never required to prove my status or time remaining on visa.

The most important thing will be your credit score/report. If you have had a credit card, I assume you have a SSN and so will have a credit score.

Go to Credit Karma and get your score. Unless it is crazy low, you'll get credit. The higher the score, the better your interest rate. My score is over 800 and I recently financed 2 vehicles at under 3% APR.

civilservant Mar 17th 2018 11:44 am

Since you remain obligated to the loan no matter where in the world you live, your presence in the US is really immaterial.